Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Snowblower Stage 2 vs stage 3

Bottom line, I really don't think I need a stage 3 for the amount of snow we get. But I am willing to if it is faster than a stage 2. But I can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere.

The truth is, my driveway is really big, I live on an acreage. But the house is for sale and I sold my quad with a blade on it. I know the snowblower is too small for the job, but it will be much more practical in the next house. So I am really thinking ahead.

Anyone know if the stage 3 will really save me some time? Or is it just for bigger snowfalls?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

For the amount of snow we usually get, a two stage blower works fine for me. However, I do like to have a more powerful engine vs the width. Some machines have less powerful engines for the same width, and with wet snow, you have to really gear down to keep going.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Google is your Friend

A single-stage type has one auger while a two-stage snow blower has two collection augers working together with an impeller. In contrast, the 3 stage snow blower has a third high-speed auger, which is ten times faster than the snow blower impeller.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 AM

If you are looking for speed, check out the Toro Snowmaster. It is a "hybrid" of a single stage and 2 stage. The auger on this machine spins 10 times faster than the traditional 2 stage snowblower. Works well in deep snow. Amazing machine, Home Depot sells them.

Traditional 2 stage and 3 stage machines are very slow and heavy to maneuver around.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 AM

I can't comment on the need/usefulness of a 3-stage but when I bought my new thrower a few years back, I used to reviews on this site as part of my research.

www.snowblowersdirect.com
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty99 View Post
If you are looking for speed, check out the Toro Snowmaster. It is a "hybrid" of a single stage and 2 stage. The auger on this machine spins 10 times faster than the traditional 2 stage snowblower. Works well in deep snow. Amazing machine, Home Depot sells them.

Traditional 2 stage and 3 stage machines are very slow and heavy to maneuver around.

My 2 cents.

X2 on the toro we bought one last year and wow that thing is amazing
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I can't comment on the need/usefulness of a 3-stage but when I bought my new thrower a few years back, I used to reviews on this site as part of my research.

www.snowblowersdirect.com
Thanks

I have been using Consumer Reports so far. But I can find nothing on the speed of machines. Likely because there are so many variables.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 PM

I have both and 90% of the time I use the single stage. I prefer the single stage, its way easier to use. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have even bothered to buy the 2 stage.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:57 PM

Guys, thanks for the responses so far and maybe I wasn't clear enough

My bad.

What I am asking is, if I have a 50 yard driveway, would a stage 3 get me to the end of the driveway noticeably faster? If it doesn't, I won't even look at them.

But I don't see this type of speed listed anywhere in my research.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
"...my driveway is really big...and I sold my quad with a blade on it..."
Very curious how after owning a
Quad W/Blade, you could possible want a snowblower that takes 3-4 times longer ?

I have owned 2 stage snowblowers in
24", 28" and currently a 45"...i will never buy another blower now that i got quad with 60" Blade.

Now my 60" seems to small, still though,
nice to get the snow duties done much faster now with quad set up compared to the blower !

Last edited by tri777; 11-03-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Quad W/Blade, you could possible want a snowblower that takes 3-4 times longer ?

24", 28" and currently a 45"...i will never buy another blower now that i got quad with 60" Blade.

nice to get the snow duties done much faster now with quad set up compared to the blower !
I know the feeling. I bought a 7.5’ Meyer lot pro this year to put on my pick up. My drive is about 400 yard long and it’s way better then a snowblower. Unfortunately I’ll still need a new blower as like anything one tool doesn’t cover all the jobs.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post

I know. I’m really kicking myself.

My acreage is for sale and I had a buyer for the quad. Honestly, I really didn’t think I would be here another winter.

I don’t want to buy anything I’ll lose my shirt on later when I resell it. I figure I can keep a snowblower for years. We won’t be on an acreage again.

Ya......I screwed up
Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
"... I really didn’t think I would be here anothet winter... I figure I can keep a snowblower for years. We won’t be on an acreage again.
Thx for the insight riden !!
Thought i was missing something.

Last edited by tri777; 11-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I know the feeling. I bought a 7.5’ Meyer lot pro this year to put on my pick up. My drive is about 400 yard long.."
Nice!
I bought another plow i am going to make wings out of for my 60" & make it close to
100" when fully extended.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Guys, thanks for the responses so far and maybe I wasn't clear enough

My bad.

What I am asking is, if I have a 50 yard driveway, would a stage 3 get me to the end of the driveway noticeably faster? If it doesn't, I won't even look at them.

But I don't see this type of speed listed anywhere in my research.
It's not stage 2 or stage 3, It's 2 stage or 3 stage, depending on how they operate.