Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Default Resurrecting an Old 1.5hp Outboard

I'm not very mechanically savy so was wondering if anyone can assist with any advice

So this thing has been sitting in a garage for 15 years without being touched, probably not even winterized. Going to see if I can get it running anyway.

I was thinken,

1.Remove spark plug.
2.Drain Gas and Oil
3.Top off Oil and gas
4.Turn the engine over a couple times and let it rest for awhile
5.Replace spark plug and hope it starts

Is there anything more I can really do to bring this back from retirement?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM

I would clean the fuel filter if it is a screen or replace it, if it is a replaceable filter. Inspect fuel lines for cracks etc. This is to make sure it does not "suck"
air after it starts. Before putting the spark plug back in try pulling the engine over a few times. If it does not want to turn you could spray some w-d 40 in
the cylinder hole to free it up. Let it sit a couple of hours then try pulling it over. After you suceed in this area put a few drops of straight 2 stroke oil in the cylinder and pull it over a few times. This will help the rings "seal" and bring the compression up and it will be easier to start. It will make the engine smoke quite a bit too when it first starts. Drain the gear oil out of the leg and at least inspect it. Replace it after you have it running. I would also drain the float bowl in the carb of old gas/oil mixture as this stuff is the first to go in to the engine. Old oil and gas are a common fault of poor running engines that sit for a long time. Hope it helps. I am assuming it is a 2 stroke. Assumptions are dangerous ....
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Default This Great

http://forums.iboats.com/

This is a great site for help
Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM

If the motor has been sitting around for 15 years with the same gas in the tank and lines you would be wise to replace the gas lines and replace the old with new. If you can remove the tank then steam it out. Old gas can really gum everything up and the older the gas the worse the gum. The rest of what lannie says if quite correct. When you run it make sure you have a water hose hooked up the the motor. Good luck. Some of those old motors can run forever if taken care of.