Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2023, 06:17 PM

Default Shout Out to Skidderman and a caution about buying open powder!!!

So just shy of a year ago I purchased some brass and some opened powder off of fellow member Skidderman. The deal went well and Glen's a super good guy to deal with (part of the shout out). So we met up to make the transaction and when he gave me the powder I was a bit surprised, as it was supposed to be an open jug of IMR 4831, and this was an open Alliant powder jug that had been relabelled as such. At the time he just said that it was from the end of a larger bottle and repackaged for size. Fair enough, I gave it the ol' smell test and everything seemed ok, plus he's got a great trader rating so I had no issue taking his word on it. I was on my way north for a late season elk hunt so into the truck it went, and when I got home it was put away without a second thought or check as I was already working on another lb of this powder at the time. Fast forward about a year, and it was time to grab a new jug out of storage as I finally used up the previous one. I poured some of it out into a small container I use to measure from and I was surprised when I seen what I initially thought were brown kernels that went bad. Upon closer inspection it was obvious that it was actually a different type of powder mixed in it...

So after the initial shock of the find and scratching my head about what my next move would be, I decided to touch base with Skidderman to get his side of things on this. I mean a year had almost gone by since the deal was made, so I didn't really feel like I could demand my money back for it, but figured I should at least let him know about it and see what he had to say. Well I'm glad I did, as right away he profusely apologized for this happening, and immediately offered to pay me back for it. He went on to explain that it was powder he had bought from someone else whom he had trusted, decided he didn't need/want it and decided to sell it. Lessons learned. The fact that he was more then willing to apologize and reimburse me after a whole year I think shows what kind of character this guy has, and its not hard to see why his trader rating is so good. So a huge thanks to him for this!!

Now to the cautionary part of this tale. If you're buying an opened powder container from someone MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT THOROUGHLY!!! Have a means to pour some out into a container of some sort to visually see that there isn't something wrong with it. Both him and I are guilty of not doing this, and even that might not be good enough if the powders are similar you might not even see any difference! And god only knows what would've happened if I hadn't known any better and just went ahead and loaded it...

I was lucky as this was an obvious mix of two different types, likely IMR 4831 and what looked to be some form of a hodgedon powder, as it was kindof that pale olive green color sort of like Varget or H4831 for that matter. Whatever the case, I'm sure it would've likely blowed up my gun real good like ya know...

So there's my shoutout and cautionary tale, glad it ended well but it could've easily been the other way around. If you're inexperienced at reloading or maybe you're not sure about an open powder just don't buy it!!! Its just not worth it. I know i'll be thinking long and hard before buying open powder again, and I hope this will help prevent someone else from having a bad accident later down the road...
Old 12-11-2023, 06:24 PM

Couple of pics of the powder for you, hopefully you can see the odd ball greenish kernels. Very obvious looking at it in person...

Sent from my SM-A037W using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2023, 07:09 PM

Another reason I love this site!!!
WDF
Old 12-11-2023, 07:13 PM

Some powders that I have used, did have some different colored kernels, and they were from sealed containers. And if you did get a very small amount of another powder , say 20 grains, well mixed into a pound of your powder, you likely wouldn't even notice the difference shooting the ammunition you loaded.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:18 PM

I only ever had one dealing with Skidderman and that was close to 15 years ago.
Definitely a stand up guy though! I sure wouldn't hesitate to do so once again
Old 12-11-2023, 07:21 PM

Both pics look the same to me, possibly different lot numbers but I would say it’s the same powder.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:28 PM

I’ve seen green kernels amongst the grey in powder from sealed containers as well. In your picture they look the same size and shape so they’re probably all the same. I don’t know if the difference in colour would scare me but for the sake of a little powder I would throw it on the lawn if I had my doubts.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:29 PM

don't be silly and just send it! j/k!

I'd be cautious about any open powder due to a myriad of potential risks. I have a good friend who reloads way more than a normal person should. Even if from ammo he loaded, if a bullet is pulled the powder is dumped into a bucket and disposed of.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:04 PM

Somehow got talking to Skidderman about jet boats. He freely offered help & advice, all of which I tried to soak up. Very fine gent in my books also!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-11-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some powders that I have used, did have some different colored kernels, and they were from sealed containers. And if you did get a very small amount of another powder , say 20 grains, well mixed into a pound of your powder, you likely wouldn't even notice the difference shooting the ammunition you loaded.
Well I don't claim to have as much experience as others on here so thats something I have never seen before. Had that been a sealed container I may not have questioned it so something to keep in mind. Looking at it under the light over my bench it looks like a different powder although it is similar in size and shape. I still don't think i'll be trying to shoot it though...
Old 12-11-2023, 10:04 PM

Yuppers...he is a great AO MEMBER
Old 12-12-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Well I don't claim to have as much experience as others on here so thats something I have never seen before. Had that been a sealed container I may not have questioned it so something to keep in mind. Looking at it under the light over my bench it looks like a different powder although it is similar in size and shape. I still don't think i'll be trying to shoot it though...
When in doubt , playing it safe is the right option to choose.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:34 AM

Skidderman is a fine fellow. No doubt about it.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Another reason I love this site!!!
WDF
Yup!