Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Default Anyone Living near an oil well(s)

New oil wells being set up in near future under 500ft to my yard.
Going to be living 24/7 to:

- 2- 80HP gas motors
- 1- 40HP compressor motor (more may be added)
- 3 Oil trucks & 1 company truck on site everyday.

Currently living in peace & wondering what I'm in for..
Any random thoughts?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 AM

Not worth it! make them go electric those gas motors are loud. Get everything in writing I mean everything. I just read over my agreements and they have broken 4 terms of my agreement and the "landman" is telling me I'm wrong. And make them pay dearly minimum 7g for first year then 3500$ for each subsequent year. And document everything and if you have a water well get it tested before and after. Maybe even get a lawyer involved in the negotiations.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM

Will they be on your land?
Old 06-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Tri 777; Were you part of the negotiations re; access and the Battery build?? Are they on your land etc.? Need some more info to make an informed suggestion.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 AM

How long have you lived there? Did you own the land before these leases were approved?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM

As a resident that close to that site I would have to assume you would have had some consultation mailed to you when the development was being proposed (along time before the drill and build)

Are you new to the area? did you just buy this place and the last owners did not address the consultation? was your place a new place and built after all the consultations were done with the owner of the land the wellsite is on?

These packages have what is expected and they have noise impacts done. If there was no feedback in regards to those then silence is typically acceptance.

They have a decimal rating they are required to be at night and day. If they meet those then there is not much that can be done. Depending on the company they will work with landowners to address concerns/noise complaints after the build as they will probably want the consultation for the next well site to go flawless. They would also have been working with the MD you live in for truck routes and that gets approved from the MD.

Not sure what part of the province you are in but these sites don't just pop up overnight without proper consultation for licensing.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post

- 2- 80HP gas motors

Any random thoughts?
My advice, get some professional advice. Britt Land and Engagement helped me with something very similar.
https://www.brittland.com/

who's the operator?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Get them to tie a line into the house.

My place used to be tied into a gas well years ago before I owned it.
That would be great, free gas, no meter. I'd buy a nat. gas generator and sell power to the grid...
Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Are they looking for operations staff? That would be nice and close to home....(not implying that you are looking for work)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Really great feedbacks & responses folks Thx!!

My apologies on forgetting to throw in that these new wells will be on the neighbors property
& basically bordering right on my fence line by about 40ft, and about 300ft from my yard, sorry!

It sure would be nice if instead of the 80hp motors, electric would be installed.
These will be set up around December and be up & running Feb-ish 2019 (company-Devon)

Thankfully these will be sweet wells, so no sour smells.etc.

I have noise concerns like, will I be sleeping with windows open on hot nights, will dust be a issue, &
even crazy questions like can moderate sized tornado's pick these things up tossing them,lol..
just trying to think of all issues before having to live through them .
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Really great feedbacks & responses folks Thx!!

My apologies on forgetting to throw in that these new wells will be on the neighbors property
& basically bordering right on my fence line by about 40ft, and about 300ft from my yard, sorry!

It sure would be nice if instead of the 80hp motors, electric would be installed.
These will be set up around December and be up & running Feb-ish 2019 (company-Devon)

Thankfully these will be sweet wells, so no sour smells.etc.

I have noise concerns like, will I be sleeping with windows open on hot nights, will dust be a issue, &
even crazy questions like can moderate sized tornado's pick these things up tossing them,lol..
just trying to think of all issues before having to live through them .
Once they get drilling prepare for there to be a ton of traffic next to you. Drill sites usually have 6+ Atco trailers, with water haulers, vac trucks, pickers, bed trucks, winch guys, cementers, etc... 24 hours a day. From December to Febuary prepare to not sleep as youll have machinery running 24/7. If I was you, Id be looking to my neighbor for compensation due to the property value going into the toilet.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Get them to tie a line into the house.

My place used to be tied into a gas well years ago before I owned it.
That would be great, free gas, no meter. I'd buy a nat. gas generator and sell power to the grid...
that practice was phased out years ago . too much liability .
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM

since you are not the land owner i dont know if they have to give you anything other than a notification of what they are planning . if you contact them and ask them these same questions they may , at your request , take you to or give you directions to a site similar to what they are planing and you can see for yourself .
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
"..if you contact and ask them these questions they may take you to a site similar to what they are planing.."
This is really an awesome idea, Thx Liar !!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 PM

www.aer.ca

Contact our Customer Contact Centre:
Phone: 403-297-8311
Toll-free: 1-855-297-8311
Fax: 403-297-7336
Inquiries@aer.ca

learn your rights, yes you do have some.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 PM

Make them do dust control.....or at least try
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
that practice was phased out years ago . too much liability .
Extremely uncommon these days but still happens. Chances of getting into a new drill pretty much zero. I know of a well abandoned last year that was still tied into an old farm house. Land owner was talking about how much money it had saved them over the years.

I'd be the only person in my area with a heated driveway...
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM

Don’t forget about the frac! That’ll be loud lol. Depending on the completion design it could be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I would push hard to get electric installed. Those propane engine can get pretty loud and on a new well will be going all night.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:22 AM

its living in Alberta guys....... the company has done their due diligence to get their license as per the AER rules. Dust, noise, and other disturbances are all part of working together with Industry and there are resolutions to most scenarios. We are all neighbors and need to work together not against one another to enjoy what the province provides from an energy perspective and the outdoor paradise it is.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Welcome to Alberta. Not trying to scare you but never, I mean never live that close to a dehydrator on gas well site with your window open.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM

500í from the house is super close. Especially with motors running and trucks loading. Iíd fight that one pretty hard. Your peace and quiet will be a thing of the past.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Distance house to well center ( wellhead to be ). ?

Is it 152 m wellhead to your yard or to your house?
And how far is your house from wellhead?
Surveyor did tie in your house and water well for sure. Everything within 500m from W/C ( well center) gets tied in during time of survey
Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 PM

Very little doubt that they picked this spot to drill because it's the absolute cheapest place to construct that lease. That's how they do business.

I suspect this drill is likely going to be a Horizontal (does anyone drill vertical anymore?) drill with the drill path ending +/- (Wild Guess) 1000m or more away in some direction. If you kick up enough of a stink, and this "play" is worth the effort, in a lot of cases they can drill the same horizontal path, but drill from the the end that's furtherest away from you and not in the absolute cheapest construction spot (in your back yard almost). That might mean a more expensive build with more hair on it from the oil company point of view, but in my mind being a nice guy and letting this pass is only going to cost you not only $$ but your peace and quiet and peace of mind. Fight em.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
500í from the house is super close. Especially with motors running and trucks loading. Iíd fight that one pretty hard. Your peace and quiet will be a thing of the past.
That does seem pretty close. You should check if there would be any compensation for the devaluation of your property should you ever decide to sell in the future.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM

wow..........
Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Default Noise

Quote:

- 2- 80HP gas motors

Any random thoughts?
Just sit in your truck, drive around and find similar wellsite ( shouldn't be hard to find ) and part 500' away. Sit in your truck for few hours and see what noise is and how does it feel . That will tell you everything you need to know
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Find the name of the company land man and have a coffee. Be civil, but express your concerns and have proposed solutions. I would also be prepared for negotiation. Be reasonable but firm with your concerns and I would be very surprised if your concerns arenít addressed. I have been on both sides of the table. In this situation, donít ask for the moon, be practicle and realistic. Dust control at the very least, water truck or calcium, I would start with asking about pavement. Sound barriers , look for engineered walls, settle for a stand of trees, dirt berm or stack of straw bales. Either way, get the picture? Sometimes compromise works. You could go at them as the ****ed off landowner but I can say for 99% certainty, you will end up ahead being cooperative and concerned. If you play hard, very good chance that you will end up with the absolute minimum required by regulations, be cooperative, you may end up with trees and a fish pond

Last edited by bearbuster; 06-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbuster View Post
Find the name of the company land man and have a coffee. Be civil, but express your concerns and have proposed solutions. I would also be prepared for negotiation. Be reasonable but firm with your concerns and I would be very surprised if your concerns arenít addressed. I have been on both sides of the table. In this situation, donít ask for the moon, be practicle and realistic. Dust control at the very least, water truck or calcium, I would start with asking about pavement. Sound barriers , look for engineered walls, settle for a stand of trees, dirt berm or stack of straw bales. Either way, get the picture? Sometimes compromise works. You could go at them as the ****ed off landowner but I can say for 99% certainty, you will end up ahead being cooperative and concerned. If you play hard, very good chance that you will end up with the absolute minimum required by regulations, be cooperative, you may end up with trees and a fish pond
This above. The oil companies will work with you generally.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 PM

So very appreciative at all the voiced wisdom put forth !!
Thank-You!!
Everyone who posted >>

I have under 2 weeks to talk to them about these concerns &
rest assured I will reading over this thread real slow & absorbing all
your valuable inputs.
Also i 100% agree about not acting like donkey's arse w/attitudes
while chatting with the oil company...who wants to deal with crappy behaviors.

I will certainly update how it turns out.