Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 09:52 PM

Default 2016 Gopher Safari~2 Ontarians visit SW Alberta!

***Warning~dead gopher photos within. Hit the "back" button if you're at all squeamish **

Hey guys~well, I'm just back from a trip to SW Alberta with my nephew and I'm pleased to say we left your fair province having sent a large number of gophers to the great beyond! While a few nice side-trips/pleasant distractions were part of the trip, we literally hammered them each of the 7 days we were there...most days putting in close to 8 hours of shooting. One day was well over that. It took moving around to find enough targets to keep us busy and for variety's-sake, we walked some fields with shotguns and open-sighted 22s....

...sat on a field's edge reaching way out with a varmint-barreled .22 and 17HMR, even spent some time with some centerfire calibers when a buddy of mine dropped-down from Calgary.

I can say with some authority that I've seen gophers dismantled in nearly every conceivable manner. Guns that did the heavy lifting were the 2 rimfires I'd sent-out in advance for the occasion;

CZ452 Varmint in .22LR, Yo Dave trigger kit, 2 x 10-round magazines and 4 x 5-round magazine
Sightron S1 4-12x40 AO, HHR reticle
CCI Blazer 22 ammo (solids) run through a WALTZ hollow-point die

Marlin 917 (heavy barrel) 17HMR, Rifle Basix trigger, 3 x 7-round magazines, 1 x 5-round magazine
Bushnell Banner (vintage) 6-18 AO, Duplex reticle
Hornady 17gr. "Varmint Express" (V-max)

Other relevant gear~binoculars and a range finder.

I'd been out to Alberta for a few days of shooting in the late summer of 2014, so gopher shooting wasn't entirely new to me. However, there is nothing like a solid week of it to really get a sense of a few things. How your gear performs, what wind does, best shot placement on a gopher, the difference between the Blazer ammo modified with the Waltz die and that which was not (=wow!), how fast ravens/magpies/hawks show-up for clean-up duties (they must come to the sound of gun fire), what a diet of Mcdonald's coffee/cheese-free egg McMuffins.....beef jerky....Gatorade G2 and Rolling Rock at day's end does to your digestive system, how little even SPF60 applied numerous times through the day does to protect my pale, Irish-heritage skin from Alberta's blistering sun...and so-on. By week's end, my nephew (who had never been to AB) got to see 2 grizzly bears, rocky mountain sheep, elk, mule deer, a bald eagle, 1 badger, magpies, various types of hawks, 2 gophers with stripes...and probably a few other creatures you'd never find in Ontario. I'd left for Alberta focussed on the main purpose of the trip (blasting countless gophers) but came back with that being only 1 of the highlights~in spite of the fact that it's how we spent the vast majority of the time. Chances are, if you've read this far...you probably are a gopher-shooter...and have probably shot way more than I have. However, since I'm relatively new to it, and have mostly been in Alberta to fly fish for cutthroat and bull trout...I'd like to detail a few things that stick-out in my mind looking back at the week.

1. Every Albertan we spoke to was shocked that anyone would spend a full week shooting gophers. Even more shocked that 2 guys would fly from Ontario to do it. Lots of support though~seems people were happy to know we had put so much effort into thinning their numbers out.
2. Gophers might be the easiest (living) thing in the world to pursue as a target. A significant number of gophers ran towards us (not away) once we started shooting in a given spot.
3. 17HMR thumped them predictably hard.

4. CCI Blazer 22 solids were effective, but not NEARLY as effective as the ones I modified in my Waltz hollow-point die. Near/far~the "Waltzed" 22 ammo had nearly 17HMR-like effect on lots and lots of them. Bang/flop/dead.

5. Though small, gophers are resilient, curious, cannibalistic little rats. Somewhat stunned too.
6. Young gophers are particularly tricky due to their smaller size, and darker color. They chase each other around, and it takes very little grass height to completely obscure them.
8. The "gopher call" (whistle) worked very well~I bought one thinking it would be a neat, gimmicky little souvenir but was surprised to see how effective it was. I was told they're less effective as the season wears on.
9. Booze & beer are cheaper in Alberta, but your groceries seem to be about 20%+ more expensive than they are in Ontario
10. It's official~the best steaks on the face of the planet probably come from Alberta.
11. A 171 yard shot with a 22 is possible on a gopher! Ranged, witnessed, repeated another 6 times. Now, in the interest of full disclosure~this took an almost windless late afternoon, mindless gophers willing to sit still while bullets landed all around them, 20+ shots to figure-out elevation/Kentucky windage...and at least 2-4 shots (and some luck) PER gopher to finally connect. Do I consider this to be any massive/great accomplishment? No...not really. I'm an average shooter at best, and the holdover was ridiculously high. However, it was extremely satisfying to see even the misses so close that I could see the gophers wiping the dust from the bullet's impact off of their faces. Seeing them fold and the dull "pop" sound come back with the impact~very satisfying. I don't really care whether anyone believes me or not, it did happen...and I pulled it off 1+6 times to prove it wasn't' all "fluke". Man, that CZ really delivered. What a rifle. The location for the long shots;

12. The 17HMR pulled-off shots regularly over 225 yards, but my nephew (less than half my age, better eyes, steadier hands, better shot) made that look so easy that it's barely news-worthy. He could spot them better than I could too.

I know...the question you're probably asking; "How many did you shoot in total?" To be honest, we only made an honest effort to count 1 day's total early on, and that number was in the hundreds. Some of the gopher "pile" photos are a bit gnarly, so I've deliberately left them out. Not all days were that successful, or had such good...nearly windless conditions. The total is anyone's guess, but looking at the ammo I brought, the amount left over, and having a good sense of the hit percentage, I'd say we did the province of Alberta at least some good! I'll also reiterate that as much as the gopher-shooting was the reason we were there, my love for Alberta deepened having had the privilege of meeting some first-class Albertans who made us feel extremely welcome. Very generous, self-aware folks who also have a deep love for their province and don't seem to take what they have for granted. It's a wonderful thing, and a good lesson to take back to Ontario. It's a great province too, but close to the city of Toronto like I am...it can be easier to focus on what we don't have..vs. what we do. Which is plenty.

Long-winded as usual...but thanks for reading. I can't wait to get back there and yes...if there was work in my field in S. Alberta...I'd be writing this report from a different perspective. I'd be writing it AS an Albertan! Thanks again to gitrdun for showing my nephew and I his beautiful corner of Alberta. A fine, and generous guy for sure.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Nice write up. You picked a good year to come that far, it's a bumper crop of gophers this spring.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Nice write up. You picked a good year to come that far, it's a bumper crop of gophers this spring.
Thanks Scott!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Great write up. Next trip you need to bring centerfires and try for the really long shots!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-10-2016, 12:07 PM

nice story, tons of gophers out there this year. last year i only got 1 with my truck, and this year im over 10
Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Awsome report...I am with the can't believe a week of gopher hunting crowd...guess I take it for granted and can go anytime...must have had sore eyes at the end of most days
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Great write up. Next trip you need to bring centerfires and try for the really long shots!
Thanks! Giving that some thought. We did whack them with some centerfires one morning, including with that lovely SAKO 85 Varmint (.223) wearing the Swaro scope. What a package that was. Shots were only about 150-175 yards, but that was also the day with the highest wind. Hits were spectacular...as in 6-8 feet off the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
nice story, tons of gophers out there this year. last year i only got 1 with my truck, and this year im over 10
I got 2 that way too (on the road) and one in the field at very slow speed. Sounded like a kid's sqeeze toy...wasn't sure what it even was until I got out to look. lol Wasn't one we'd shot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Awsome report...I am with the can't believe a week of gopher hunting crowd...guess I take it for granted and can go anytime...must have had sore eyes at the end of most days
Beef jerky and Rolling Rock helped smooth-out the post-shoot sore eyes and backs. Didn't help in other ways. lol Seriously though...we joked about how tiring it was by day's end. Then we'd get up and do it again.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Thanks! Giving that some thought. We did whack them with some centerfires one morning, including with that lovely SAKO 85 Varmint (.223) wearing the Swaro scope. What a package that was. Shots were only about 150-175 yards, but that was also the day with the highest wind. Hits were spectacular...as in 6-8 feet off the ground!

if i recall correctly you have a 204. THAT is the gopher gun to bring! something about 20 call bullets at high speeds really agrees with gophers. the light recoil means spotting your own hits is fairly simple and my goodness the PLOP and ensuing acrobatics are something that has to be seen to believe.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Banned

What a great account of your safari Groundhogger. Just prior to your arrival, the weather wasn't all that nice. I was hoping for nice sunny warm weather for you guys and it looks as though someone was listening. It looks as though your side trip to K country was worthwhile seeing a variety of wildlife and especially the 2 grizz. I sure did admire you dedication and tenacity, I could hear shots right from first thing in the morning right until nearly last light. As much as you had success with the numbers that you've shot, you've left some around, they've moved into my yard....LOL, you gotta come back and finish the job buddy. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
What a great account of your safari Groundhogger. Just prior to your arrival, the weather wasn't all that nice. I was hoping for nice sunny warm weather for you guys and it looks as though someone was listening. It looks as though your side trip to K country was worthwhile seeing a variety of wildlife and especially the 2 grizz. I sure did admire you dedication and tenacity, I could hear shots right from first thing in the morning right until nearly last light. As much as you had success with the numbers that you've shot, you've left some around, they've moved into my yard....LOL, you gotta come back and finish the job buddy. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.
We're on it sir! Thanks again for the hospitality.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Great story and a tip of the hat to Gitrdun. way to show some easterners that western hospitality. I miss the old days when my fam would come out to our farm in MB and do a yearly hunt that would last all weekend. Thousands of rounds and thousands of gophers...we were truly over-run with the little buggers. And that was what I have to thank for my affection for shooting sports and hunting today. I plan to do the same with my girls...

I remember an old family friend would bring his 220 swift with some nice Leupold glass on it and would be exploding gophers out to the 400 yard range. That was something to see!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Great write up. Glad Git and others looked after you.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Great recounting of your trip and its' highlights. Get back soon and take out the ones still here.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
We're on it sir! Thanks again for the hospitality.
Well, I didn't have much to do except extend the invitation, hook you up with the land owners and feed you some rack of ribs upon your touch down in Calgary. I've been informed that you've been invited back next spring which speaks a lot of your own character. I just wished that I had more time to spend afield with you guys, but work and commitments got in the way. I also hope that you got a good insight on a branding done the 'ol cowboy way with ropers healing, branding, ear notching, and some testicles in the bucket. All being said, it was truly my pleasure to make this safari happen for you and your nephew Groundhogger.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I consider myself an honorary Albertan at this point! As for the branding~yes...spectacular thing to see first hand. As for the prairie oysters~well...my nephew had several, and I almost got away with not trying them.

Almost.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:27 PM

I also very much enjoyed your write up GH. Having been born and raised in southern Alberta, and spend many long days pounding the sod rats down by Police Lake and Mountain View area, I can relate to your enjoyment. I have been living in northern AB for 11 years now, we don't have the opportunity to just go out for a day of shooting, so my friends and I try to make a point of loading up the campers and going for a Gopher Safari every year, down in the Viking area. I totally believe your shooting ranges with the .22 and .17 HMR. We've done similar, and even out to 300+ yards with the .17 (like yourself, takes a few rounds to connect at that range but very satisfying). Glad you enjoyed yourself, and great to hear the obvious appreciation you have for our province. Very refreshing. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also very much enjoyed your write up GH. Having been born and raised in southern Alberta, and spend many long days pounding the sod rats down by Police Lake and Mountain View area, I can relate to your enjoyment. I have been living in northern AB for 11 years now, we don't have the opportunity to just go out for a day of shooting, so my friends and I try to make a point of loading up the campers and going for a Gopher Safari every year, down in the Viking area. I totally believe your shooting ranges with the .22 and .17 HMR. We've done similar, and even out to 300+ yards with the .17 (like yourself, takes a few rounds to connect at that range but very satisfying). Glad you enjoyed yourself, and great to hear the obvious appreciation you have for our province. Very refreshing. TC
Thanks TC, very-much appreciated. It takes allot to keep myself from looking for work out there!
Old 06-12-2016, 03:43 PM

to me Gopher Hunting is as good as it gets. You get lots of shooting, warm weather, no getting up at 3 am and no $200.00+ in licenses.

Throw in the odd Badger, Crow and Magpie. Most gopher country can be very good for viewing wildlife, looking for Fossils, Rock hounding ...
Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Groudhogger - Great Write up

IMG_3885.jpgGreat write up Groundhogger. I can relate to your excitement.
Started Gopher shooting this year with a Ruger 10/22 and the first time out they weren't exposing themselves.
Spoke to a farmer who has 1600acres and he welcomes the team and I to take care of the gophers in exchange for a case of Canadian.
I found the .22 a little inconsistent, need to figure it out still.
Bought a Savage 17HMR FXP and what a difference, gophers were dropping like flies. Best days was 65min, 29 gophers out of 31 rounds I'd lay in one spot and rotate to all angles to empty my magazines on them. Needed a partner that day to take care of the other arcs I couldn't see.

A few more days of gopher shooting then want to move onto Coyotes.
Anyone have advice or tips and where to locate them?
Was thinking of camping out on the farm or heading to Public Land. Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2016, 04:26 PM

Default 17 HMR vs Gopher. Graphic Pic. Skip if you can't handle blood and guts

HMR clearly annihilates the target.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:17 PM

What an outstanding writeup. Thanks for sharing it with us. I think we often make too much of the divide between us, as all our provinces are filled with great people like yourself and Gitrdun. I am glad you felt at home, and look forward to next year's instalment!

PS: Southern Alberta is a great spot for enjoying the outdoors. If I were a little younger, I too would look for work down there
Old 06-12-2016, 11:48 PM

Awesome story. Love to see that people are just as passionate about gopher hunting as others are about big game species. I've been down a few times this spring to wmu 308 in Bob creek wildland to hammer gophers with my ruger 10/22, little 3x9 scope mounted on it. Next time you come out it's a place you should definitely try.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 AM

Default all that laying around

I have a new portable shooting bench that is very well made, I'd be happy to donate to you fellows to use next year should you travel out again. I just broke it in on thursday and friday out Rimbey way. lots of fun with my 204 ruger.. and very comfortable to shoot from for several hours. FS
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
if i recall correctly you have a 204. THAT is the gopher gun to bring! something about 20 call bullets at high speeds really agrees with gophers. the light recoil means spotting your own hits is fairly simple and my goodness the PLOP and ensuing acrobatics are something that has to be seen to believe.
Hey Tikka~yes..I did have a 204 (good memory!) but I ended-up selling that rifle. My first, and only Cooper...felt odd laying in piles of dried-up cow patties shooting groundhogs with the thing. lol It did a fine job of that mind you...I was simply too paranoid about getting it scratched-up/rained-on and that's too much worry for a hunting gun. I've since thought about getting another (many times) but it would be an ugly, heavy-barrel Savage..like my .223 We did get an opportunity to shoot a .223 (maybe 25 rounds or so) and boy...talk about dramatic results. I suspect the .204 would as good, or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What an outstanding writeup. Thanks for sharing it with us. I think we often make too much of the divide between us, as all our provinces are filled with great people like yourself and Gitrdun. I am glad you felt at home, and look forward to next year's instalment!

PS: Southern Alberta is a great spot for enjoying the outdoors. If I were a little younger, I too would look for work down there
Thanks sns2~much appreciated! I hope there will be one in 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
Awesome story. Love to see that people are just as passionate about gopher hunting as others are about big game species. I've been down a few times this spring to wmu 308 in Bob creek wildland to hammer gophers with my ruger 10/22, little 3x9 scope mounted on it. Next time you come out it's a place you should definitely try.
Thanks Huk~we'll check that out for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I have a new portable shooting bench that is very well made, I'd be happy to donate to you fellows to use next year should you travel out again. I just broke it in on thursday and friday out Rimbey way. lots of fun with my 204 ruger.. and very comfortable to shoot from for several hours. FS
Hey Fasteel~that's VERY generous of you..thanks! I'll be sure to message you before we head-out next year...though I should ask you about the weight rating! I'm 6'1" and 280lbs, my nephew is the same weight only about 6'3"+

No worries if you want to revoke that offer~I'd fully understand!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM

Nice shooting guys! Can't say I'm a gopher shooter but reading a good summary of someones week in the outdoors is always. Some take the things you got to see and appreciate for granted, I never will. Glad you guys had fun!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM

more gross they are the more awesome they are
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Hey Tikka~yes..I did have a 204 (good memory!) but I ended-up selling that rifle. My first, and only Cooper...felt odd laying in piles of dried-up cow patties shooting groundhogs with the thing. lol It did a fine job of that mind you...I was simply too paranoid about getting it scratched-up/rained-on and that's too much worry for a hunting gun. I've since thought about getting another (many times) but it would be an ugly, heavy-barrel Savage..like my .223 We did get an opportunity to shoot a .223 (maybe 25 rounds or so) and boy...talk about dramatic results. I suspect the .204 would as good, or better.

Thanks sns2~much appreciated! I hope there will be one in 2017!

Thanks Huk~we'll check that out for sure!

Hey Fasteel~that's VERY generous of you..thanks! I'll be sure to message you before we head-out next year...though I should ask you about the weight rating! I'm 6'1" and 280lbs, my nephew is the same weight only about 6'3"+

No worries if you want to revoke that offer~I'd fully understand!
GH, I am 6' 5" and 260. this bench is mostly iron and it is the cats you kn ow what, FS
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM

^well if that's the case...I'll be sure to message you next time we're there.

Thanks FS!