Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
jrs

Default Time between checks?

I was wondering how often you have to check snares in Alberta while operating a trapline on public land? I came accross some snares last week and there was no evidence of anyone being there in a while yet there was one very alive critter caught in a leg snare (almost had a heart attack as it lurched at me trying to climb a tree to safety). Also does the trapline have to be marked or do traps have to be more than a few metres off a main road? I found flagging tape on the road after the fact but there's no signs with a trapline # like i often see up north. Just curious, i've never had the chance to visit a trapline during the winter season so i'm not really informed on how it all works.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure I am the guy to answer your ??'s as I operate under a Resident licence and trap/snare private land. There is no time limit to check snares...I usually leave mine for a week at a time.
And the animal you saw wasn't caught in a "leg snare" per se....but rather had the misfortune of not getting caught properly in a lethal set.
And snares sites don't have to be marked or marked with signage.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

Bushmaster is correct, there is not a time as to how often one has to check snares, the reason being , they are a killing device not a retaining device as is the case in leg hold traps. They have to be checked every couple of days. You must be very observant to be able to spot the snares, I sometimes have a hard time seeing mine and I put them there. It could be that another individual set some snares for rabbit, that occurs frequently. You did not say what size of cable/wire , it was that you saw.. And -no- traplines do not have to be identified as such. I have my T/L#, posted at my cabin and contact info. There are signs available that indicate an "active trapping" area but most will not hang them cuz it's just like waving a red flag at a bull. Nuff said, hope this answers some of your concerns ..
Old 12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
jrs

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Always trying to learn a bit. First time i've come accross anything in a trap so it peaked my interest. Now I'm wondering if i may have disturbed any snares cutting wood in that area as the logs were often positioned kind of unnaturally, i'll keep my eyes open next time anyway. Thanks again.