Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Default Time to talk BEAR!!!

With only 54 Sleeps until Spring Bear season its just around the corner and coming quickly!!!
[only 28 days in Feb this year]

Who all is heading out this year...Bait, Stalk?
Who needs a bear hunting partner?
Who needs help?

I am available to help out on bait stations, just for the adventure...by help out I mean if one has an area, I can come up and help establish bear stations...I have an uncanny ability to pick out good stations...have guided and bowhunted for bear forever and have been lucky enough to take several dozen with the bow over the years...
Don't need a bear!...just willing to help out, share some muscle and knowledge for decent camp food and adventure...lol

Neil
Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM

A Bowhunters Dream!!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 PM

I'm going out and I'm like you Neil I don't need another bear have shot 23 with bow. I owned a bear outfitting business in Manitoba for 7 yrs, Wilderness Bear Guides, that was very successful, and had TV shows and hunting mag editors up hunting. Nowadays I take out a newbie bowhunter or newbie bear hunter each year to intro them to sport. Last five years everyone has gotten a bear. I'm like you I can pick spots that bears just come too in fact every bait Ive put out has been productive. This year I am taking out a young lady ,16yrs and new to bowhunting on her first hunt for bears and also have a couple others that have never gotten a bear on the waiting list. Three of the five bears have been nice cinnamons.

Gord
Old 02-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
I'm going out and I'm like you Neil I don't need another bear have shot 23 with bow. I owned a bear outfitting business in Manitoba for 7 yrs, Wilderness Bear Guides, that was very successful, and had TV shows and hunting mag editors up hunting. Nowadays I take out a newbie bowhunter or newbie bear hunter each year to intro them to sport. Last five years everyone has gotten a bear. I'm like you I can pick spots that bears just come too in fact every bait Ive put out has been productive. This year I am taking out a young lady ,16yrs and new to bowhunting on her first hunt for bears and also have a couple others that have never gotten a bear on the waiting list. Three of the five bears have been nice cinnamons.

Gord
Outstanding Gord....hats off to ya!!!

Neil
Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Im not a bear hunter although I have shot one with a rifle two years back.

I have stumbled on some high bear densities and seen a few whoppers well elk hunting .......if elk didn't taste so good I would have plugged a huge chocolate that walked down the side of a ravine at about 30 yards but I passed and for good reason I shot a nice bull elk about an hour later.

Maybe you guys can share what you look for in a bear area?
If a newbie would like to set a bait this spring where does one start?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 PM

DIDO
I have yet to shoot any animal with my new prime defy cant wait this will be my first bow season thinking of kicking it off with a bear hunt. Hoping someone I know will get some baiting going if not I will defiantly try some spot and stalk ether way its the thrill of the hunt that I am looking for!!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
A Bowhunters Dream!!

Nice photo Neil.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:00 AM

Got a bazillion bear pictures ...but this one probably helps the most...showing the shot is not as mid body as many would think...worst from stand...results of many one lung shot Bear from stands...

Neil
Old 02-13-2015, 05:12 PM

I'm planning to get out with my bow this spring for sure!! I'll be doing a spot and stalk. I'm so sick of driving so much, so I've got a few spots, nice secluded clearings picked out that hopefully have some sign and I'm just going to hike till i see one. I think I'd rather hike all day in an area with sign, then driving for miles and miles on roads with NOTHING on them except other hunters. Lol.

Or is this a mistake?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
I'm planning to get out with my bow this spring for sure!! I'll be doing a spot and stalk. I'm so sick of driving so much, so I've got a few spots, nice secluded clearings picked out that hopefully have some sign and I'm just going to hike till i see one. I think I'd rather hike all day in an area with sign, then driving for miles and miles on roads with NOTHING on them except other hunters. Lol.

Or is this a mistake?
I dont think its a mistake.
I do think you would have better chances if you got out to look for sign beforehand.
Just my. 02cents
Old 02-14-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Or is this a mistake?
Absolutely not a mistake how can you see any sign sitting in the cab of a truck listening to AC/DC? You might as well be home watching TV You are correcyt to be out in the bush checking things out. I rarely take the main beaten trails in and out I like to strike off into the thick stuff I am very comfortable just cutting out across country and thats when I usually discover those great spots for future hunts that would have been missed
Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
With only 54 Sleeps until Spring Bear season its just around the corner and coming quickly!!!
[only 28 days in Feb this year]

I am available to help out on bait stations, just for the adventure...

Neil
What area do you live in. I started baiting last year and had success took my first bear with a bow and had 5 different bears come in to my first year bait. I hear thats not bad for a first year bait station. Would appreciate touching base with you to learn more about this.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM

Not an archery bear but my kid with the BB gun has Hoyt for a middle name.
This spring will be a stick and string adventure. Spot and stalk with the kids...could be tricky.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post

Not an archery bear but my kid with the BB gun has Hoyt for a middle name. This spring will be a stick and string adventure. Spot and stalk with the kids...could be tricky.

That is awesome. I doubt my wife would have agreed to Prime or Centroid.

Nice Bear and awesome pics
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post

Not an archery bear but my kid with the BB gun has Hoyt for a middle name.
This spring will be a stick and string adventure. Spot and stalk with the kids...could be tricky.

Bear Hunting exciting adventure...

Pictures with the youngsters.....priceless!!!

outstanding

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM

I'd say thats the best BBgun killed bear taken in canada last year!!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 AM

Here's a bear from a few falls ago.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

Can we talk Spot and Stalk B&C?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster Manitoba Black Bear.jpg (71.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Can we talk Spot and Stalk B&C?

Great bear...I have taken bears just about every way possible... a third of my bears with the bow were on foot on ground... spot and stalk,
Taking a bear with a bow is a huge heart pumping rush...taken one spot and stalk is the ultimate...

Spring is best for spot and stalk...with the new green growth...the big guys like to travel the same trail or even exact same foot steps into a feeding area...

I havent taken a B&C bear spot and stalk ...a couple P&Y...its not as easy as it sounds...

I have taken three B&C bears with the bow but all from a treestand which many hours were spent and required a lot of Patience...

Many feel safer in a stand than spot and stalk ...I feel safer on the ground...I never had bears smelling my boot on the ground....lol

Neil
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM

Neil.... just curious of what broadheads you like for bear?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM

not Neil but.....
myself and wife both shoot muzzys. they have worked great on 50+ bear
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Neil.... just curious of what broadheads you like for bear?
have taken bear with every broadhead I have ever shot...prior were Sonics and as of now G5 Striker since they were introduced...

IMHO bear are the easiest big game critter to take down with a decent shot in vitals...

Although bears have huge muscles and thick fur...their hide is relatively thin and their ribs are small and finger round compared to moose or elk with thick, wide and flat rib bone.

Bears bleed out quick...most likely due to adrenaline pump when hit...an instinct of flight or fight in the bear world...

The key is a razor sharp head from a well tuned bow placed almost anywhere in a double lung hit...99% of the bear I have shot with the bow regards of where or how all went down within sight and expired in mere seconds...

When I was guiding for bear the two biggest factors of lost bears were one lung hits...shot too low from high angle stand and mechanical head failures...not a statement or opinion...just a fact!!

If I had a personal recommendation..it would be any sharp, solid, fixed broadhead and study bears anatomy and understand the angle of shot from stands...

Neil

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Would any of you take a season hunter of just about 40 years out to get his first bear? I only rifle hunt though. I am a successful deer, Elk, and Moose hunter, but not knowledgeable about bear hunting, although I have seen and could have popped a few throughout the years, I never hunted bear. I did archery when I was about 20 but have only rifle hunted since then.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Would any of you take a season hunter of just about 40 years out to get his first bear? I only rifle hunt though. I am a successful deer, Elk, and Moose hunter, but not knowledgeable about bear hunting, although I have seen and could have popped a few throughout the years, I never hunted bear. I did archery when I was about 20 but have only rifle hunted since then.
Set yourself up with a bow and Im sure you will get help getting a bear!!

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Set yourself up with a bow and Im sure you will get help getting a bear!!

Neil
That is my goal for the fall.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
That is my goal for the fall.
Your not that far away ...road trip!!! I will be happy to spend time here with you and help you out!!

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM

Default I maybe be able to help

Quote:
Where do you live?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Where do you live?
Camrose.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM

I'll be heading back to Vancouver Island for bear. No baiting allowed in BC, so it will be some spot and stalk, as well as fawn in distress calling. I shot my first black bear on the Island, last year. It was my first day there, and buddy was showing me where I should be hunting. The big boy below made an appearance, and my buddy told me he was too big to pass up, so I shot him with my 30.06. My bow was back in the cabin, as this was just an outing to do some scouting. I won't make that mistake this year. 30 lbs smokies, 30 lbs, pepperoni, and 40 lbs of garlic sausage. He was tasty!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Default First time bear hunting!

So I finally set myself up with a bow (it's an oldie but I can get really good groups and it shoots great for me) and I have never really been into the big game scene, hence the name waterfowler haha I'm new to my area but am willing to put in the time and the effort to get a bear! I've always wanted a bear but like I said kinda new to this all. Im young but mature and am willing to work for what I want, but putting safety first. I'm torn between doing spot and stalk or baiting. just curious to the pros and cons of each style! If anyone wants to bring me along to show me the ropes of how to get it done I'm all for it!

Cheers and happy hunting