Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Quick Question

There I was, fist time hunting and a nice 180 mulie pops up. Let an arrow fly without ranging for distance. I didn't hear a thwak but he did hop! I though I hit him. He even stuck around for another shot. I did not take it as I figured I got him. I wached him scamper and then realized he was 40 yards while I had pined him up at 60. I figure the arrow flew over him but I went on a search anyhow. No blood, no arrow just drizling rain.

I'm accurate at 40 but used the 60 pin. What are the chances I got him? How much rise would an arrow with a 125 grain broadhead rise at 40 yards if the intended target was 60??? 15 inches????

Any ideas?

I finally gave up the search since it was still raining and getting too dark to see properly and aimlessly wading through a wheat field isn't a smart idea. I will pop by tomorrow a take a quick peek.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM

if you pinned him for 60 and he was forty, you probably shot over his back. He jsumped because he heard the arrow. I he stayed for another shot I don't think you hit him. go have alook anyway
good luck
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM

That's what I feared! Well at least I may get another shot at him.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
That's what I feared! Well at least I may get another shot at him.
If you can get yourself a range finder, they are great and save you a lot of time and wondering.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

I really liked the suggestion of setting distance markers around your stand. Why are you disappointed? A full miss is better than a half hit, isn't it?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
Why are you disappointed? A full miss is better than a half hit, isn't it?
Good point! Hey I feel better now!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
He even stuck around for another shot. I did not take it as I figured I got him. .
I don't quite understand that rationale. However, I know nothing about bow hunting. But if I'm rifle hunting and he doesn't drop, I'm putting another one in him pronto. Is there a reason why a bowhunter wouldn't take a second shot?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't quite understand that rationale. However, I know nothing about bow hunting. But if I'm rifle hunting and he doesn't drop, I'm putting another one in him pronto. Is there a reason why a bowhunter wouldn't take a second shot?
x2,I would have taken a follow up shot.@ holes are always better than 1.IMO
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
x2,I would have taken a follow up shot.@ holes are always better than 1.IMO
@ holes???? LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

Personally I am wondering why you would be letting an arrow fly without knowing how far away the animal is. We all make mistakes / get caught up in the excitement, etc, but get a range finder and make sure you know. I know from experience the bad feeling of a bad shot leading to an injured and un-recovered animal. I hope I only make that mistake once.

Good luck next time.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
I really liked the suggestion of setting distance markers around your stand. Why are you disappointed? A full miss is better than a half hit, isn't it?
X2
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenroos View Post
Personally I am wondering why you would be letting an arrow fly without knowing how far away the animal is. We all make mistakes / get caught up in the excitement, etc, but get a range finder and make sure you know. I know from experience the bad feeling of a bad shot leading to an injured and un-recovered animal. I hope I only make that mistake once.

Good luck next time.
I was too excited and did get caught up in the excitment like you say. First bow hunt aswell...lesson learned.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
No real reason. More arrows the better. Likely mistake number 23 for the day!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Easy test... hold your 60 pin on an object at 40 yards and your arrow went where the 40 pin is sitting which is probably well over the deers back.

Hey it happens and as for ranging spend some time on a 3d course without a rangefinder and you will soon learn how to tell 40 and 60 yards....
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
@ holes???? LOL
That was supposed to be a 2.LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM

A rangefinder is your friend, but sometimes you just can't use one without blowing your cover. If you are in a stand, you can pre-range. If you are on a stalk, you can't. Therefore, there is no substitute for practice practice practice your range estimation. Shoot 3d courses as often as you can. Walk around preseason, pick an object at a distance, and estimate range. Then use your range finder on it to check yourself. You will soon get very good at estimation, and it gives you great confidence on those 'snap shot' occasions. I am usually good to within 2-5 yrds, all the way out to 80 yrds (not that I personally shoot past 50 on deer, 60 on elk/moose), on most estimations. It has taken a lot of practice to get to this point. I know guys who shoot competitive 3D who are 1-3 yrds accurate on anything. Pretty damn impressive to see them dial their scopes and nail x's consistently.

Practice practice practice. It will give you confidence, and make you an ethical hunter. Better that you missed clean over his back, then hit him high in the shoulder so he could go fester and die somewhere.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone