Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 PM

Default Treestand Preparation Advice

Was wondering what everyone does when they are preparing the area around their treestand. Do you guys usually make mock scrapes? Or not. I got a few acres in back in the bush by my house where i put my stand up. There's a fairly nice game trail under my stand, and about an acre of open field about 50 yards from my stand where I usually call in the game from. Im in wmu 248. Last year I called in a 3 bulls at once ha. They kinda seam easier to call in then deer. This year im determined to get a decent buck and bull in this spot. I have a non typical that looks decent on my trail cam, and a few 4x4 bucks. It's just a matter of running into them! lol so ya what do you guys think I should do, as far as scents and scrapes, what scents do you find best? Just bought my new bear encounter 52lb dw, 29 in dl, 310 fps. Hoping to have some luck this year!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Was wondering what everyone does when they are preparing the area around their treestand. Do you guys usually make mock scrapes? Or not. I got a few acres in back in the bush by my house where i put my stand up. There's a fairly nice game trail under my stand, and about an acre of open field about 50 yards from my stand where I usually call in the game from. Im in wmu 248. Last year I called in a 3 bulls at once ha. They kinda seam easier to call in then deer. This year im determined to get a decent buck and bull in this spot. I have a non typical that looks decent on my trail cam, and a few 4x4 bucks. It's just a matter of running into them! lol so ya what do you guys think I should do, as far as scents and scrapes, what scents do you find best? Just bought my new bear encounter 52lb dw, 29 in dl, 310 fps. Hoping to have some luck this year!
were you not just on here yesterday saying you had no place to set up. What your story here?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM

I want to know how your getting 310 fps out of 52# Must be VERY light arrows.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
not sure but IMO somebody is looking for attention and is doing it the wrong way, bs don't gether done boy. If ya neeed to know something, ask, or state your opinion, ok but leave the bs in the field.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM

At the end of October through November I have had success dragging doe sent behind me on my way into my stand, when I get to the stand I do a circle around it before I go up. Rattling with a few grunts also works well just before the rut.

I have not tried mock scrapes but am considering giving it a try this year.

Any way good luck.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
were you not just on here yesterday saying you had no place to set up. What your story here?
Well I have one place to set up, that is in my backyard... I was looking for legit hunting spots that see more then 2 deer a week...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
I don't know much about bows, I am just getting into bow hunting as of 2 years ago. I have a bear encounter and on the bow it says 310 fps at 40lbs, we tightened it up to 52lbs, and I don't know how to calculate what the fps would be
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Well I have one place to set up, that is in my backyard... I was looking for legit hunting spots that see more then 2 deer a week...
If you have a spot in your yard to set up and you called in 3 bulls and you have picks of a few bucks. That would be agood spot to hunt, make a scrape
set out some scents etc and sit and wait. Calling the deer in will probably have to wait for the rut. But if you have pics of them using the trail they should come by sooner or later. Be patient, some times you have to spend may hours in the stand to be succesful. Also if you are right in your yard you don't have to travel far, this should increase the time you can spend there.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about bows, I am just getting into bow hunting as of 2 years ago. I have a bear encounter and on the bow it says 310 fps at 40lbs, we tightened it up to 52lbs, and I don't know how to calculate what the fps would be
I would guess your bow might IBO @ 310, that is a 350 grain arrow shot through the bow @ 70lbs draw at 30 inch DL....also I don't think you have a 29 inch draw length.

If your bow shot 310fps @ 40lbs of draw weight......everyone would have one.

LC
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would guess your bow might IBO @ 310, that is a 350 grain arrow shot through the bow @ 70lbs draw at 30 inch DL....also I don't think you have a 29 inch draw length.

If your bow shot 310fps @ 40lbs of draw weight......everyone would have one.

LC
Yup.
Chrono that baby, you'll likely get 260, maybe 270; if you're arrow is light enough. (which is more than enough...I'd stick to a heavier arrow pulling the lower poundage)

Irregardless, back to the O.P.; sounds like you got a pretty good spot! Put down a scrape, give it a whirl... nothing gained is nothing lost.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM

I have a 29 inch draw length. I'm 6'3, the guy at wss said I have a big draw length for my age.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I have use the Doe in Heat scent too .. i just put on the back of my boots and walk into stand and the bucks came right in .just put some in a cotton ball and hang on a branch close they will come too check out..

just don,t move to much in tree stand as noises travel.

David
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Yup.
Chrono that baby, you'll likely get 260, maybe 270; if you're arrow is light enough. (which is more than enough...I'd stick to a heavier arrow pulling the lower poundage)

Irregardless, back to the O.P.; sounds like you got a pretty good spot! Put down a scrape, give it a whirl... nothing gained is nothing lost.

Good luck!
I agree, I'm shooting a 394 grain arrow 296 fps out of a Mathews z7 extreme with a draw length of 30 inches, and a draw weight of 69 pounds. I would say unless you have a very heavy arrow, that you have an average arrow weight 305 grains, and that your shooting around 240 fps.

As far as the op. I would try heated scents during the rut, I usually sacrifice a thermocell for this purpose, the problem with most scents in Canada is that they freeze, once it is frozen it weakens the power substantially, heating it up will give a fresh kind of power to it, but remember to scrape your screen so your not just giving off a burnt smell. Hot hands packs work pretty good too but don't last that long. Of course this is rut advice, as far as early season scouting goes, hunt the does, they are the best buck bait going.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post

As far as the op. I would try heated scents during the rut, I usually sacrifice a thermocell for this purpose, the problem with most scents in Canada is that they freeze, once it is frozen it weakens the power substantially, heating it up will give a fresh kind of power to it, but remember to scrape your screen so your not just giving off a burnt smell. Hot hands packs work pretty good too but don't last that long. Of course this is rut advice, as far as early season scouting goes, hunt the does, they are the best buck bait going.
I have a thermacell, do u just put some doe scent on the blue pad or how do u do it?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM

No I put the scent on a piece of material that's used for stove pipe holes, I have heard that thermocell is making a scent pad for this application but my method works well enough for me that I haven't looked into it. I also take my scents and pads home with me after the hunt I believe that most deer are just plain nocturnal, therefore I take my scents home that are used during the day, it encourages bucks to take a gamble during the day. Another scent I have used and it attracted deer was molasses. (sounds crazy I know but it worked)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Another scent I have used and it attracted deer was molasses. (sounds crazy I know but it worked)
Molasses could be considered a curiosity scent. A curiosity scent is not based on a particular food source. These are scents that appeal to a whitetail's curiosity; the smell is simply attractive to deer. That's probably why it worked for you. I think I'll put some drops off buck scent around my stand or in my scrape. It might get other bucks curious and a little fired up that another buck is in his territory. It's worth a go...