Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Default Bow hunting in the winter

Was talking with a buddy of mine who is an experienced hunter. I asked him if just using my bow next Nov for our hunting week. He said just bring a rifle as it sucks bow hunting when it's -30. Keep the bow for early fall and rifle for the colder temps.

I'm wondering what your experiences are bow hunting throughout the year. I'm struggling with the decision to sell off my rifle to fund some archery gear. Rangefinder and such. I find myself losing interest in guns and becoming more and more interested in bow hunting.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM

There are some cold days for sure, but most November's we have been averaging closer to minus 10 versus minus 30.

Dress for it and you can still enjoy bowhunting in November. Lots of guys live to bowhunt the rut.

One little tip is to make sure your release is working right. I didn't and had it malfunction several times. I cleaned it up with some birchwood casey to get all the gunk out of it. Practice outside through out the winter to test your equipment.

As for selling your rifle...hold off. Even if you love bowhunting a shooting iron comes in handy. Lot's of time until hunting season. A rangefinder suitable for archery is less than 250 bucks.

I sold a gun along time ago when I was in the same situation as you. I regretted it.

If you want to be a purist and only hunt with a bow, give er. You have my respect. It's a tough commitment to make.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Froze my nads off more then once in nov still got frostbite on my finger from being at full draw on a mid 160s buck came in on the wrong side and held up at 10 yrds never did get a shot yeah dress for it usually hands n feet get cold but you gota do watcha gota do when your a bowhunter ill do it again this nov
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Was talking with a buddy of mine who is an experienced hunter. I asked him if just using my bow next Nov for our hunting week. He said just bring a rifle as it sucks bow hunting when it's -30. Keep the bow for early fall and rifle for the colder temps.

I'm wondering what your experiences are bow hunting throughout the year. I'm struggling with the decision to sell off my rifle to fund some archery gear. Rangefinder and such. I find myself losing interest in guns and becoming more and more interested in bow hunting.
The other guys are right, DRESS FOR THE CONDITIONS!!! I rattled a good buck in one time,'it was minus 15 with a wind chill more like minus 25. I was at full draw 25 yards broadside, I squeezed my release and nothing happened, I slowly looked down at my release and I was was looking at it, you guessed it she released, I watched my luminok crack the big buck right in the horn, live and learn, one drop of canola oil cured my problem for the cold weather.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Froze my nads off more then once in nov still got frostbite on my finger from being at full draw on a mid 160s buck came in on the wrong side and held up at 10 yrds never did get a shot yeah dress for it usually hands n feet get cold but you gota do watcha gota do when your a bowhunter ill do it again this nov
All I know is that ulitimate predator has hunted some mornings in the tree stand when I didn't even want to go outside to start my truck. There's no quit in him!!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM

Some of the best hunting is those last 2 weeks in Nov.. sadly the freezing temps seem to go hand in hand with it. I've hunted in that stuff , when your water bottle freeezes solid in 3 hrs inside your pack and you lose all sense of feeling below your ankles . But the deer are moving like crazy and you can't shoot one at home ! Dress for the weather , turn your bow down a touch so you can still pull it and enjoy yourself .
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM

There was an article in Outdoor Edge written by a member here a few months back talking about cold weather bow-hunting....was really well done and informative.

LC
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM

I hunted november a long when I was younger...most important thing is dont be overbowed...when cold its dang hard to draw a bow when cold...

I have a trick I use with my shooters..

I sit them in a chair ..back straight.... feet on floor by heels by chair leg..I have them raise their legs so their feet is 6" off floor..

Then I have them draw...if its a struggle then they are over bowed...you would be surprized on how many are...no so bad now days with modern bows but even ten years ago 80% were...

Neil
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Full agreement with most others here. There are some great hunting opportunities for an archer in cold weather, but you have to be prepared, which includes making sure you can pull your bow. I like to hunt at least 20 days in November, and generally hunt at least half of them with my bow.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM

I try to bow hunt in colder temperatures. I find in high pressured areas, I am the only one in the bush. For me personally I much rather bow hunt in any temperature than to pick up a gun. But like I said thats just me.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

I found last November that there were times that I was REALLY cold. I layered quite well, at least I thought I did, and I was still cold. I was wondering if anyone has used a Heater body suit, IWOM or similair type of "system"?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM

When it gets really cold in Nov I switch to a ground blind It just seems a bit warmer in the blind

Gord
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM

The temperature is the same if you have a bow or a gun.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There was an article in Outdoor Edge written by a member here a few months back talking about cold weather bow-hunting....was really well done and informative.

LC
I read that as well. It was called sub-zero bowhunting.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 PM

where i hunt more northern Alberta and november it is usally -20 every morning bow hunting and really it depends on your bow , bows with metal grips such as pse they tend to freeze your hands but i still use my dream season evo every year in late season hunting , a good tip to help with this is get really thin gloves that your trigger will still fit on your wrist and you are able to shoot without pulling with those gloves then get really thick and warm mits that are easy to slid off and on with no velcro or anything that will make sound. that way when your in your stand you keep warm well your hands any ways if you just generaly get cold look into a heater body suit . and as far as drawing your bow in cold weather when sitting on your stand all day is just makeing sure you have the right draw weight and draw length . hope this helps
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 AM

Here is a cold hunting story for Musk Ox! http://www.bowhunting.net

I hunt when I can, and dress for it, biggest trouble for me is the hands and glasses. I now wear contacts when shooting and got rid of my peep. Layering, and practicing with the gear I plan to be hunting with helps. Realizing your hood/hat/sleeve interferes upon drawing on an animal is something I don't want to experience. I am all spot and stalk, or ground blind though, not up a tree so wind isn't usually so bad. If I could keep the uninvited off my 5 quarters the hunting would be easier too....
2009 Diamond Stud by Bowtech, Trophy Ridge Hitman 3 pin .019 sight, Anchor Sight, G5 Expert II rest, Axion 6" 9oz. stabilizer, Easton Lightspeed 3D arrows, 4" Bohning wraps and 2" Vanes, My Paracord Projects
My Music Exploits,