Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Default New to Calgary area

Hello I am new to the Calgary , and Canada area.

wife and i would like to go fishing this may long weekend but i have no idea where to go can anyone help me out on where to go

Thanks

the lost Cajun
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

What kind of fish are you looking for? Perch, pike, trout, walleye, etc?

Do you have a WIN card and a license? If you don't you can get them at Canadian tire or places like 'The fishin' hole' in NE Calgary. I get mine from Canadian Tire.

Get yourself a regulations brochure too.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

yes i have my win card and license

as for as what kind of fishing i would like to get maybe some pike or trout
but i am not sure never done any fishing here or tasted any fish from here either i like a good fight on the line when fishing if that helps?

i am used to fishing catfish and bass so there is that info
Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

You might like the Bow river south of highway 22x. I believe it is open, and you can catch trout, the odd Pike, and a few whitefish.

I like fishing for trout, they put up a great fight. So do Pike.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=32964

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=River

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=River

This might be a good start, then when you get yourself added to that google maps list you signed up for you'll learn some areas.

Welcome to Alberta, you're going to love it! Been here all my life and still exploring new areas.

You might want to hook up with a few of these guys. They'll have some good info for you.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=sundance+lake

You've come to the right place for info. Just keep searching the forums and check in, you'll learn more and more neat spots.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Try Beaver Mines Lake or Beauvais Lake, both SW of Calgary in the Pincher Creek area. The lakes are stocked with trout and decent camping is available (although you might be out of luck for the long weekend). The mountains might be a nice experience for a "lost Cajun"

Small spoons, spinners, bait, or flies all will work. The two lakes I mention are both just over 2 hours away from Calgary.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Thank you all for the advice my wife which is born and raised here said maybe ghost lake, McGregor lake, or Eagle lake. any advice for these plus anymore would be great also still

thanks

Lost Cajun
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM

I would skip Ghost and Eagle right now unless you have a boat and some patience. If you are not camping and looking for some close by action to get your line wet, Chestermere lake is actually not too bad and it fishes well in the spring.

I like Little Bow provincial park (south of McGregor) as you can camp and fish from shore/docks. Another nice place is Pine Coolee but you can't keep the walleye but there's tons of them to keep yourself busy. You can night fish for burbot which is our version of a catfish but not as strong. Chain lakes (south) is supposed to be fun for trout but I haven't been there in the summer for many years.