Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Default Learned a New Trick Today

I was out at Cardiff today and got some action early when the skeeters were hatching but that died when the sun came out. I put a bead head Crystal Bugger on but I haven't really got the hang of nymphing yet so it wasn't working for me.

I noticed that there were quite a few baitfish right by the shore and after watching them for a bit I saw something really cool. There was a little 2 inch fish I'm pretty sure was a rainbow fry who had staked out a hole in a muskrat trough. It was defending it whenever the smaller baitfish got too close, charging and nipping at them. I started dragging my bugger up the trough with varying retrieve rates and motions and found that a certain type of motion would trigger the fish to attack and defend it's hole and others wouldn't. It was a jerky retrieve without any pattern and little direction changes fairly regularly, sort of like the baitfish.

After a while doing that I started casting out to the deeper bits of the water and used the same retrieve. Oh wow was that cool, I couldn't keep the bows off the hook. They were taking hitting the bugger hard, swallowing the thing right off, not just mouthing it like a dry. Then were even biting at the indicator all the time. Didn't catch anything bigger than 9" or so but it was a lot of fun.

I imagine to a more experienced person this seems pretty obvious but I figured I share for the other newbies. It's one thing to read about the technique in a book but if you can find a place you can put your streamer in next to the baitfish you can figure out how to make them dance just right.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Hey good for you. You can read every book around a have someone tell you everything there is to know about fishing. But till you get out on the water and start to learn for yourself non of it means anything. Learning to read the water , bait fish , the hatch , the weather everything out there can help you get on the fish. Good on ya keep it up

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM

I went to Cardiff the other nigh and caught between 20-30 of this years stock. It seemed like the water was alive with fish. However, I did not see one single fish, either caught, or biting or jumping that I would say was largers then this years. Did it winter kill does anybody know? I have fished there the last couple of years and at least seen some larger ones.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Where is Cardiff?