Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Default Mounting a new sight.

Hey folks, just wondering what mounting a new sight all entails and whether you'd recommend for a complete beginner to do it themselves or would I be better off taking it in to a shop? I was going to wait till I got my new rest and bring it all in to get tuned and everything all together but its still going to be a few weeks before my rest will be in so i figure i should at least get my sight on so I can get practicing again.
Thanks a lot
Schian
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM

bolt it on and start shooting. No real trick to it.

Might want someone to stand beside you for the first couple shots to make sure you are going to hit the back stop..after that let it rip
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
bolt it on and start shooting. No real trick to it.

Might want someone to stand beside you for the first couple shots to make sure you are going to hit the back stop..after that let it rip
haha, thats kinda what i thought.
thanks a lot!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM

ok, so i got my sight mounted, but now am having problems mounting my quiver back on properly because of the screws i think. its kind of hard to explain but are all the screws standard for everything? I bought the sight second hand and didn't get any screws or anything with it.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Depending on the sight, and the quiver type you might need longer screws that allow for the bracket to be mounted, sometimes they have spacer inserts to give you more clearance between the quiver mount and the sight. If you don't have any or are not sure just take it down to the shop when you get ur rest and they should be able to fix ya up.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sniper View Post
Depending on the sight, and the quiver type you might need longer screws that allow for the bracket to be mounted, sometimes they have spacer inserts to give you more clearance between the quiver mount and the sight. If you don't have any or are not sure just take it down to the shop when you get ur rest and they should be able to fix ya up.
Ya. That's what I'm going to have to do. My rest should be in this week so I'll be making a trip out to swamp donkey pretty soon here.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM

What sight did you get. Most sights have a second set of holes that are tapped that's where you mount the quiver to
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
What sight did you get. Most sights have a second set of holes that are tapped that's where you mount the quiver to
i got the 5 pin axion soul hunter
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 AM

There is a second set of holes on that sight. I had an Octane 1 piece quiver on the sight before I sold it to you. All you should need is the screws that came with your quiver; they are usually universal to all sights.

Later
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM

It's kind of hard to explain exactly what the problem is, but basically the recess on the sight is too shallow and the head of the screws stick out a bit so the quiver mount won't sit flat. I think I'm just going to have to find different screws.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM

where did you get your sight from. they should have an abundance of screws you could get
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Default sights and quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
It's kind of hard to explain exactly what the problem is, but basically the recess on the sight is too shallow and the head of the screws stick out a bit so the quiver mount won't sit flat. I think I'm just going to have to find different screws.
So you did not but the spott hogg. How old are your new sights? Some newer bows don't allow for older sights and quivers to fit properly. When i bought my new bow this year, I had to buy new sights and quiver because my old stuff would not fit the new bow. I bought the spott hogg because for the money it was the best 3 pin sight out there. Fibre optic sight all machined. A good tech man at an archery shop could help you with your problem. Saves running around when littles problems arise.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choink View Post
So you did not but the spott hogg. How old are your new sights? Some newer bows don't allow for older sights and quivers to fit properly. When i bought my new bow this year, I had to buy new sights and quiver because my old stuff would not fit the new bow. I bought the spott hogg because for the money it was the best 3 pin sight out there. Fibre optic sight all machined. A good tech man at an archery shop could help you with your problem. Saves running around when littles problems arise.
The bow is definitely older than the sight so i wouldn't think that is the problem.
Either way, i'm headed out to swamp donkey this weekend, my new QAD HDX just came in the mail and I'm going to get it all properly set up just in time to practice a bunch before bear season!!

Thanks for all the help and info guys.