Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Just looking for a elk

You know I have been shooting a bow since I was 6 years old and I always thought us bow hunters stick together, I have reached out a few times for some help trying to take my first elk, Now im not even looking for a monster bull just one to fill the freezer. but it seems most want to hoard their knowledge.

I have been asking around about the MDU 410 and most of the feed back has been negative, but I know there is a bunch of elk out this way, is there anyone out their that would like to teach an old boy some new tricks to take a elk.

Any knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM

There are no big secrets here,get out and put in the time do your scouting and hunt them the same way you would anything else.Expecting someone else to do all the hard work for you so you can walk in and just do the shooting is not likely to happen.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM

I can appreciate the OP's frustration. If you don't even have a clue where to start the vastness of a territory makes it seem hopeless. However, don't expect some one to tell you exactly where a herd is hanging out.

When I first started I was very thankful to those that shared information and I always made it a point never to mess up their hunting by asking them first I it was alright to hunt even if it was crown land. Over the years I expanded by scouting my own areas and developing my own spots but the original info was crucial as it provided me something to work from.

If the OP had at least something he could begin his own scouting.But as for some one saying go three miles down this trail and set up on a hill by the willow bluff because there is a herd that beds down there at 11:30 in the morning. I don't think that is going to happen.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM

We've been watching the elk in 302 all summer, know where they're usually hanging out, then we're sitting the field and some jerk spooks them and off they go before we can call them close enough. and the does were sure coming to the call Jimbos1 uses. Now we can't get close enough, hopefully our luck will change this weekend, I'm meeting Jim out there tonight, he left Wednesday.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM

I always see them north of the highway in the early season but there are lots in the timber. Take a drive and get a good map of the area. Another great place to check for info is at the F & G office in canmore. They sell a map of the Northern kananaskis area. Talk to the officer if he's in and they are usually pretty liberal with information about where to find animals of all sorts and the harvest objectives in the zone. If he's not in ask the reception folks when he's usually in and call him. There's one guy in there that will talk your ear off (in a good way).

It doesn't hurt to go for a hike as you're in some awfully pretty country this time of year. before you do that get the map.

THey sell the same one in maptown but you will get more out of a 5 minute discussion with the officer. Besides --- it will save you from hiking up a popular hiking trail where all you will see is hikers and soy latte sipping vegimites.

best of luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Default Boundary

I am not looking for any one to do the hard work for me more so to tell me where the boundarys of 410 are. Last thing I need to do is get myself into **** as this zone is surrounded by provincial parks but this where I run into issues know seems to either know or what's to tell or maybe just asking the wrong people this is why I'm reaching out

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Boundarys

I guess I should have been more clear I was acting out of frustration after returning from scouting 410 and not being clear on the boundarys it is so condensed in the zone with provincial parks, indian reserves and hamlots.I usually stick to 212 but land owner sold and I am now trying to scramble as new owner does not allow hunting.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM

That map I mentioned is key - still I recommend talking to the FG officer at the office in canmore. it will save you time. Bummer you lost you spot.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Default Big thanks

I want to say thanks for all the advice all of it will come in very helpful
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

If you are local i'd be happy to show you around but if not, maybe call in to Wapiti Sports for some advice. The only reason I say it like that is I'm new to hunting and not a guide but know the area fairly well.

You can stop in at the F&W office on railway and buy a map for 10$ for the zone. I've been using google earth to scout a new area that someone introduced me to.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM

A big thanks im not a Canmore local I live in cochrane, but the resources everyone suggests will help a lot and will give me something to work with and hopefully fill the freezer
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Someone said:"archers are .............as a group.........the most helpful, generous, encouraging group of hunters." I am sure some bow hunter will be glad to help you out in 410.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Default Looking for Elk

Hey Flash is that what you are looking for....

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM

Default Thats it

Thats what im looking for but i cant eat a digital copy.LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Well i didn't get to eat this guy either....just got the pic as i did not happen to have a licence for anything else but taking a picture...there was way bigger ones than this one further out in the field...this was the only one that was curious enough to come to our calling...or dumb enough i guess!!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM

I still would have taken that one I'm not picky cow or bull they all taste the same. How long till the rut is over is this the last week you think?