Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 PM

Default Determining dominate eye

Looking at buying a bow and I'm wondering how to determine what my dominate eye is. Are there some exercises that anyone knows to help me out. Seem like a stupid question to ask but I'm thinking it might be my left eye. Is that normal if everything else is right handed but shoot left. Or does it matter?
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Go to an archery lane and try shooting both ways. Then decide.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Gone Hunting

stand up and extend 1 arm out with your thumb locked on something across the room with both eyes open, close one eye, if your thumb is still on the object, that is your dominant eye,,,
Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
stand up and extend 1 arm out with your thumb locked on something across the room with both eyes open, close one eye, if your thumb is still on the object, that is your dominant eye,,,
This way.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Is it pretty normal to shoot left but do everything else right handed? Seems strange but I guess I won't know any different. Thanks guys for the tip
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM

If it is extremely uncomfortable to shoot opposite handed to everything else you can always do what feels right and close your dominant eye. How do you hold and shoot a rifle?

Go to a pro shop and ask to have it confirmed for you.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I do most things left handed, but my right eye is dominant so I shoot a bow and rifle right handed, not worth posting my wifes comments on that situation...lol
Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Hold with left and pull trigger with right hand. Was talking with a buddy and he shoots rifle same way and shoots bow right handed as well. What is the benefits other that less field of vision.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
If it is extremely uncomfortable to shoot opposite handed to everything else you can always do what feels right and close your dominant eye. How do you hold and shoot a rifle?

Go to a pro shop and ask to have it confirmed for you.
When I was a kid the old man had one gun - right handed. "Do you want to shoot or not?" He also had one thermos. When we went fishing there was no hot chocolate, no, he drank coffee - black. "Do you want something warm to drink or not?"

I shoot rifle right handed just because that's the way I've always done it. I shoot bow left and recently went to Phoenix range with my son - started shooting hand guns right but switched to left and did much better.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
When I was a kid the old man had one gun - right handed. "Do you want to shoot or not?" He also had one thermos. When we went fishing there was no hot chocolate, no, he drank coffee - black. "Do you want something warm to drink or not?"

I shoot rifle right handed just because that's the way I've always done it. I shoot bow left and recently went to Phoenix range with my son - started shooting hand guns right but switched to left and did much better.
good point, much better than when I was in Grade two and tried printing left handed and got the yard stick rapped across my knuckles enough that I switched to right, my how things have changed....
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
good point, much better than when I was in Grade two and tried printing left handed and got the yard stick rapped across my knuckles enough that I switched to right, my how things have changed....
Indeed!

When I first learned to write, I too was chastised. This was because I would switch between left and right hands, sometimes switching half way accross a page. I did so as I am ambidextrous.

This ambidextrosity enables me to select a dominant eye. This usually occurs naturally dependant upon the situation. If I am shooting lefty, then that eye is dominant and so it goes for right handed shooting.

As per the instructions given by Hal53, this is a quick way to check in on ones eye dominace. I prefer to advise folks to use both arms and form a triangle with their thumbs and index fingers. Alternately you may perform this test with a single hand while making an "O.K" symbol. Look through the space between the fingers as if it was a peep sight. Of course you may simply point at something some ways away (I suggest making sure that the target/focal point is t least 5 yards away) with your index finger. Focus with both eyes open, then alternate closing one followed the other. This is a simple approach that can give a person a fair idea of which eye is dominant and is nothing more than a light elaboration on Hal53's fine advice.

Mr. Elrac - The phenomenon of which you write is not at all uncommon. Being right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa is most commonly referred to as being "cross eye dominant".

There is alot of solid information available for free via the use of a favourite seach engine right here on the internet. All it takes is a decent B.S. filter and much in depth information concerning eye dominance may be obtained.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 10-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Thank you very much to all of you for your comments. I was unaware of cross eye dominance before the start of this thread. I will totally read up on it. As for shooting left or right I will just have to try them both and see what feels best. Thanks again
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM

It is of EXTREME importance in archery to shoot with your dominant eye...
Many of the guys above hint at things other than the most important.
You'll see what I mean when you get onto it, and it's actually fairly easy to learn over time. I had shot bows my whole life RH, when I went to the pro shop to by my first compound the guy REFUSED to sell me a right handed bow. Then I didn't completely understand it. Now I do.

As archers we maintain the goal of always trying to make the perfect shot and most humane kill possible.

The biggest benefit I can think off, perhaps the most important for a new archer or especially bow hunter (depending on just how dominant your eye is...);

*Most shooters shoot with one eye open. Take a bow, with your non dominant eye, go to full draw and align peep, sight, pick a pin and put it on target. Easy. All looks well. Shot will be perfect. Now open both eyes. Again depending how dominant your dominant eye is, sight will totally shift. Bad scenario. If your body follows your brain, point of impact is drastically altered, even at short yardage.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Taking into consideration, ultimately keeping both eyes open for shooting while bowhunting is perferred because you dont lose half of your peripheral vision...
[ case in point, a bowhunter right handed closed left eye to shoot, shot a spiker close to end of season, didnt see the monster buck behind the spiker because left eye was closed to aim and shoot]

We try to fit the shooter with a bow to match dominant eye [left hand bow for left eye dominace]

However shooters like myself, If I was left eye dominant, and had to shoot a left hand bow it would be only about 10 lbs...lol...just cant do anything left handed other than a hockey stick..[which is weird and didnt realize till a couple years ago lol]

In that case a shooter has a couple of options, some simply close left eye to shoot right handed, Having said that some just cant close one eye to shoot and have that dominant eye fighting perferred sighting eye...had a shooter that wore an eye patch...that simply looked silly...and was not ideal hunting for sure.

...Shooter should absolutely use a peep as focus on sight pin via peep will focus better ignoring dominant eye...

We can usually tell if a shooter is left eye dominant and shooting right handed and has issues as arrows POI is way left...

Good advise above on going to a pro shop and trying a few options, although most shops wont have a left handed demo bow to try, they may have a used bow to try...

JMHO
Neil
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

However shooters like myself, If I was left eye dominant, and had to shoot a left hand bow it would be only about 10 lbs...lol...just cant do anything left handed other than a hockey stick..[which is weird and didnt realize till a couple years ago lol]

JMHO
Neil
Probably the number 1 excuse I hear from people shooting with wrong eye dominance....

In Hockey coaching I get same excuse from kids about why they don't turn one way, or can only do crossover's the one... because doing it on their weaker side is harder.... but all it takes is practice and pretty soon it becomes a lot more comfortable....

Why do i force this... because in a game situation when they have increased mobility, agility and thus speed they enjoy it better!....

Same thing with archery... Pretty hard for a pro shop to be reputable if they don't "practice what they preach"....

Many times when teaching coaches how to instruct an archer with their first arrow I get the coaches to shoot with opposite hand because it makes them into a fumbling new archer... much easier to understand what it is like to be the new archer....

For new archers setting them up with eye dominance is important because whether they are left or right handed is irrelevant because they will start off equally clumsy with either hand... until they practice.... There are people that due to an accident where they lost an arm or vision in one eye and had to learn to shoot with opposite side and they manage...some actually manage extremely well!...
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Default hey Thanks

The extended thumb thingy worked great now all I need to 20/20 vision and I'm good to go

Wahooooo!