Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Son Really wants to get into Bow Hunting!!

We are experienced hunters but have never bow hunted. My son really wants to get into it. He's 17 and a pretty strong kid.

We've done some research and I've read over the forums, but when you don't know anything about bows, I thought I'd turn to you guys for some help.

He's going to do it and I'll support him all I can.
I want to get him set up with a good bow package and all the gear he needs.

Just thought I'd post this and maybe get some tips, etc. on how to get going.

I guess we should go to a shop like Jim Bows (or ?) and *Hopefully* someone will spend a bunch of time with us.
I think we'll buy new gear because we just don't know enough to buy used stuff.

I don't know. I could go on but I'm sure you guys get the drift.

Would you mind helping us out here. Thank You, Bob
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Talked my old man into buying me a bow from a pawn shop and away I went . Bought some 1916 aluminum arrows tipped with 125 he thunderheads from trophybook and away I went !!!! HA A stop at a pro shop would be a better start
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM

A pro shop like Jimbows is the way to go. They will get your son properly set up. Get home to try as many bows as possible within your budget as you can. Pick what feels best for him. I didnt know anything when I bought my first bow. Carson at Jimbows got me set up. Gave me some pointers and then let me shoot the rest of the day for free after I bought my bow.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
A pro shop like Jimbows is the way to go. They will get your son properly set up. Get home to try as many bows as possible within your budget as you can. Pick what feels best for him. I didnt know anything when I bought my first bow. Carson at Jimbows got me set up. Gave me some pointers and then let me shoot the rest of the day for free after I bought my bow.
Yeah thanks. That would probably be best. I thought I'd call and maybe make an appointment. I want to get something good that he'll have for a while.
Budget would be $700.00 or so, I think. Would that get him going with a good set up, you think?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM

$700 would probably be on the low end once you start figuring things like arrows, a release, etc.
definitely doable at that price point - but you’ll be getting a low end setup.

I agree with the suggestion of Jim Bows. I’m not sure where you’re located, but they’re knowledge, customer service and options are the best out there. In Calgary, anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM

I got set up a few years ago from jimbows in Calgary and got a bowtech carbon knight I believe it was and release arrows ready to shoot for 850.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
$700 would probably be on the low end once you start figuring things like arrows, a release, etc.

I agree with the suggestion of Jim Bows. I’m not sure where you’re located, but they’re knowledge, customer service and options are the best out there. In Calgary, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I got set up a few years ago from jimbows in Calgary and got a bowtech carbon knight I believe it was and release arrows ready to shoot for 850.
Yeah, no doubt when we are there it will start to add up....
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM

So would you guys say Jimbows is the place to go in Edmonton, or is there another shop that treats you good and we should check out?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 PM

Regardless whether your son is small framed or built like a tank, if he has never drawn a compound bow before he is going to want to start at a fairly low poundage like 35 to 40 lbs. The problem with this is that if he practices a lot then he will build strength fairly quickly. I would be looking for a bow like the one in this ad that grows with the shooter. Also if he decides that bow hunting is not for him then the bow has already taken the depreciation for re-sale.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=diamond

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/76956...ow-rak-package

I would then take the bow to Jimbows and purchase the arrows there and pay them for a couple hours service ($100), to fit the bow to your son and give him some basic shooting lessons.

You will be well within your $700 budget.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Regardless whether your son is small framed or built like a tank, if he has never drawn a compound bow before he is going to want to start at a fairly low poundage like 35 to 40 lbs. The problem with this is that if he practices a lot then he will build strength fairly quickly. I would be looking for a bow like the one in this ad that grows with the shooter. Also if he decides that bow hunting is not for him then the bow has already taken the depreciation for re-sale.

I would then take the bow to Jimbows and purchase the arrows there and pay them for a couple hours service ($100), to fit the bow to your son and give him some basic shooting lessons.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it. Makes good sense.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Jimbows in Edmonton is where I went. Great knowledgeable staff. I know alot of people harp on lower end entry level bows but I started with and still have a diamond infinite edge pro. I've upgraded the rest, sight, stabilizer and recently the quiver over the last 3 years but the bow has never let me down. I've harvested 3 deer and a moose with this bow. It's all about practice. The bow is only as good as the person using it.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:

So this is a decent package then? I want to get him a good set up but I also don't think he needs a super duper top of the line bow yet either. I thought we'd go mid range for now. When we looked through Cabelas, I thought we could get a pretty good one for 700 bucks, give or take, less arrows and release. Your logic here sounds right.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post

I would suggest that $700 would be about a 1/2 way point on budget; you may try it and have to buy 2 setups.....

And yes, I agree with Sage that $700 is on the low side, but totally doable as well. Look into their used selection once your son is fitted; there may be something there that will work very well for him and come in well under budget. Things to not skimp on would be rest and sight.

AND!!!!! Be sure that before leaving the shop KNOW HOW TO CHECK THE ARROWS after shooting! Carbon, carbon/aluminum, aluminum.... They all have different ways to check for cracks & damage. Safety first and never fire a damaged arrow!

J.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
So this is a decent package then? I want to get him a good set up but I also don't think he needs a super duper top of the line bow yet either. I thought we'd go mid range for now. When we looked through Cabelas, I thought we could get a pretty good one for 700 bucks, give or take, less arrows and release. Your logic here sounds right.
Diamond is owned by Bowtech and they are a good bow. Similar to Mission which is owned by Mathews. My brother started on a Diamond and it was great for him. He upgraded after about 4 years when he knew he would be bow hunting long term. The biggest concern with these entry level bows is usually the rest and on this package it has already been upgraded to good drop away. The 4 pin sight should be sufficient as well as the stabilizer and quiver. And if you check the ad I believe a brand new release is included.

Gold Tip standard hunter arrows are hard to beat and there is no need to upgrade to XT or Pro's for hunting situations. They should run you about $160 for a dozen fletched and with field points. Get a dozen... 6 might not last very long.

And to be clear I have no idea who the seller is in the link I posted, just that you might want to consider a packages such as it.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 AM

I would support a local archery shop, the service and knowledge you gain there will be well worth a few doallars saved on the purchase.

SOME staff at the box stores know what’s up when it comes to archery but I have seen too many 500 spine arrows sold to guys with 30” draws and 70lbs bows than I care to mention.

LC
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Diamond is owned by Bowtech and they are a good bow. Similar to Mission which is owned by Mathews. My brother started on a Diamond and it was great for him. He upgraded after about 4 years when he knew he would be bow hunting long term. The biggest concern with these entry level bows is usually the rest and on this package it has already been upgraded to good drop away. The 4 pin sight should be sufficient as well as the stabilizer and quiver. And if you check the ad I believe a brand new release is included.

Gold Tip standard hunter arrows are hard to beat and there is no need to upgrade to XT or Pro's for hunting situations. They should run you about $160 for a dozen fletched and with field points. Get a dozen... 6 might not last very long.

And to be clear I have no idea who the seller is in the link I posted, just that you might want to consider a packages such as it.
I messaged him, thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would support a local archery shop, the service and knowledge you gain there will be well worth a few doallars saved on the purchase.

SOME staff at the box stores know what’s up when it comes to archery but I have seen too many 500 spine arrows sold to guys with 30” draws and 70lbs bows than I care to mention.

LC
Yeah I don't know what that means but I agree with going to a shop rather than dealing with a salesman at Cabelas. Not knowing what we're doing and buying something will end up costing a lot more down the road.
I like the idea of paying them at Jimbows for an hour or two so he can get fitted, the bow tuned, etc., some lessons and shoot the bow there.
Even if we buy a used one like "b's dad" suggested, we'll take it to a shop.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I would suggest that $700 would be about a 1/2 way point on budget; you may try it and have to buy 2 setups.....

And yes, I agree with Sage that $700 is on the low side, but totally doable as well. Look into their used selection once your son is fitted; there may be something there that will work very well for him and come in well under budget. Things to not skimp on would be rest and sight.

AND!!!!! Be sure that before leaving the shop KNOW HOW TO CHECK THE ARROWS after shooting! Carbon, carbon/aluminum, aluminum.... They all have different ways to check for cracks & damage. Safety first and never fire a damaged arrow!

J.
Thanks for the *SAFETY* tip. Any more safety tips would be appreciated, guys!!!
What happens with a damaged arrow?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the *SAFETY* tip. Any more safety tips would be appreciated, guys!!!
What happens with a damaged arrow?
you better have a strong stomach....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzEAp32rntQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEl2H7dPwBo

J.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
will learn what to look for for sure. I imagine you check your arrow if it hits something hard, etc., or is it a routine thing you always do before shooting?
This is great to know for neophytes like us. Any more safety tips greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Tell your son to check out, John Dudley's school of nock on YouTube. I think there is ten videos, lots of information!! Start from the beginning. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
will learn what to look for for sure. I imagine you check your arrow if it hits something hard, etc., or is it a routine thing you always do before shooting?
This is great to know for neophytes like us. Any more safety tips greatly appreciated.
JimBows will show you how to check arrows and other considerations for the entire safety aspects of archery. They are the experts and can give you hands-on knowledge - it's more than worth the drive, to their shop or just about any other pro shop. You will receive quality service and advice more so than a big box store...

J.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Tell your son to check out, John Dudley's school of nock on YouTube. I think there is ten videos, lots of information!! Start from the beginning. Have fun!

Thanks for that. I'll tell my son to check that out.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Quote:
JimBows will show you how to check arrows and other considerations for the entire safety aspects of archery. They are the experts and can give you hands-on knowledge - it's more than worth the drive, to their shop or just about any other pro shop. You will receive quality service and advice more so than a big box store...

J.
We will be going to JimBows for sure. You can shoot there, right, get some lessons?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
THIS^^^^^

I shoot a bow my brother had, miss match arrows, draw way way to long, crap sights etc.

Bought a proper bow 20 years later...Man what a difference a couple bucks and a good guy to set it up plus a few good archery books...it was like night and day. Being cheap is not necessarily being smart.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I contacted this man and I think we'll buy it. So, you think it's a good one to get him started? The reviews seem good and he said everything is there except arrows.
Also, we'll go to JimBows. I'll call them but do you need an appointment and can you buy a couple hours of their time to set it up, get some lessons and shooting in?
Thanks for pointing the bow out. I appreciate it, Bob
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I contacted this man and I think we'll buy it. So, you think it's a good one to get him started? The reviews seem good and he said everything is there except arrows.
Also, we'll go to JimBows. I'll call them but do you need an appointment and can you buy a couple hours of their time to set it up, get some lessons and shooting in?
Thanks for pointing the bow out. I appreciate it, Bob
If it is in good shape, it is definitely a great bow to start on.

Have fun and congrats to your son.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 PM

Like many have said - visit a smaller pro shop like JimBows -- comparable prices to bigbox stores with the advantage of someone who knows what they are talking about compared to some $15/hr highschool student who doesn't know the business end of a bow from their own back end.

For your budget I would think you would be able to get a complete set up with either a Diamond SB1 or a BowTech Fuel. Add some arrows and a release and you are in business - should be able to get this for under $700.

Both these bows are well suited for a beginning archer as they are highly adjustable for both draw length (if you son is still growing) as well as draw weight.

My son (10) just went into the Fuel from an Atomic. Almost got him the SB1 however the Fuel was only marginally more money and had a better rest and sight. He also "felt" it fit him better which is an important consideration.

Get some lower end GoldTip Falcon or Hunter arrows in a spline to match his draw length and weight...super affordable and very usable for hunting.

Yes you can buy more accessories as he grows into bow hunting but to be honest you do not need them -- I shoot a 20 year old Hoyt with whisker biscuit rest, aluminium arrows and it still kills moose as dead a new 2300 carbon fiber Hoyt.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 AM

The new Bowtech Convergence is a great bow at a reasonable price too.

LC
Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM

We made a deal with the fellow and decided to buy the one 'brendan's dad' linked above. I think it's a good bow for my son to get started with and we saved a few bucks for arrows and some lessons, etc.. We'll pick it up tonight. My son's excited (hope he stays that way about bow hunting. I think he will).

I appreciate all your help, guys...

Bob
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Default Son Really wants to get into Bow Hunting!!

I bought my daughter a used Diamond bow from a friend who's daughter outgrew it. We needed a release a few more arrows, as well as getting it set up just right for her so I went to JimBow's in Edmonton. The place was packed when we arrived but they took the time to set her up properly, helped her get the right feel of shooting, and kept coming back to encourage her over the couple hours we shot.

Overall, I cannot recommend them highly enough. My daughter was smiling ear to ear and can't wait to go back shooting there. We may have been able to save a few bucks on the accessories by shopping the internet but the support, setup, and positive experience was definitely worth the extra couple of bucks.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors