Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 PM

Default Sheep partner

Im curious to see how long you sheep hunters feel that they should know a guy to take him sheep hunting.

I've really just started going at it this year but already have over 200km on the boots out in the mountains. I am starting to already get protective over the spots I've found, however I know im going to have to find a buddy to go with in order for my girlfriend to not be irrationally terrified while I'm in grizz country.

So how'd you guys find your sheep hunting buddies?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 PM

It’s hard to tell, personally I’ve always been the buddy but now that I’ve started finding my own spots I personally feel like when I can trust my buddies with y deer and elk spots than sheep time is upon us, I’m heading sheep hunting with my boss only because working 12 hours a day with him has built trust over everything, make sure you can trust your buddies it would be the worst to have some of your buddies buddies camping out under your ram opening day.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:49 PM

Yeah someone parked under a ram I found would not be pleasant, especially as it would be my first ram.

My only trouble is that I don't really know many people that hunt. most of my buddies are trying to complete kanes scrambles or gearing up for alpine touring during the months sheep season.

So I'm thinking I should be trying to meet someone new, but I'm not sure if a 5 day hunt is best shared with a stranger haha
Old 07-15-2018, 01:08 AM

Trust can be hard but maybe just take a nonhunter for company. The art of that and goat are only a few can handle that sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 AM

That's a tough question, I have buddies that have shown new partners spots and they are no longer buddies. And the other people are still hunting the areas they were shown. I also have friends that I would trust with everything and would have no problem taking them anywhere. Your best bet is to find a person that is already a sheep hunter and share your findings.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
That's a tough question, I have buddies that have shown new partners spots and they are no longer buddies. And the other people are still hunting the areas they were shown. I also have friends that I would trust with everything and would have no problem taking them anywhere. Your best bet is to find a person that is already a sheep hunter and share your findings.
I like the idea of that Ken. So if any one of you sheep hunters want to join forces I'm hunting somewhere in the 404-412 area and would be happy to come scout with you and vise versa.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 AM

So many people out there beating the Bush, and the habits of sheep, secrecy is a minor point.

Grizz
Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Its easier to find a good wife than it is to find a sheep hunting partner.
Not so much the spots. But everyone does things differently
Food,gear,tactics. Some people want to be the boss. Some want to follow
Try having two bosses deciding what to do.
Very tough to find a good one.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM

I've been going in on foot usually 10-12km in. I've done lots of backpacking and feel comfortable doing that so I figured I'd be interested in setting up a base camp 10-15km in and hunting from there. Moving base camp if we can't find much.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba2u View Post
I like the idea of that Ken. So if any one of you sheep hunters want to join forces I'm hunting somewhere in the 404-412 area and would be happy to come scout with you and vise versa.
If 406 is an area you’d want to hunt shoot me a pm I can point you in the right direction, I might only get out sheephunting late August in 432 so I can afford to share some insight into good places to start scouting and looking.