Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Default This hurts my brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So I understand that he can basically double dip. He can hunt only in the specified bow only zones that do not require a special draw license, and then kill a cow moose with his rifle season tag.
1. He can only hold one moose tag under his name no matter what in Alberta.
2. The moose tag he has is only valid for one WMU and one moose from that WMU.
3. If it is actually WMU 355 from last years regs he can hunt WMU 355 in the general archery season Aug 25- Sept 23 and the draw rifle season from Sept 24- Nov 30.
4. This is a Antlerless tag not a Cow tag so he can shoot only one moose with an antler length less than four inches.
5. He can only shoot one moose with this tag this year from the WMU and dates specified.
6. Never trust anyone from Canadian Tire EVER!
7. Get proficient with reading the regs before applying for a draw so you know what you are drawing for.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Either your buddy is telling you tales, or the CT employee your buddy spoke to had no business working the sports counter as he has no idea what he is talking about.
Also JR, you are so very wrong my friend. I drew a cow moose tag and I will be out with my bow in hopes I do not have to bring out my Slugger later in the season.

BH
Just do not understand then ,that in my zone that I hunt they have a draw for early season bull moose archery ,then a early season riffle hunt draw then a nov moose hunt and it says you can only apply for one moose draw
Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 PM

In my Zone you can only have one moose draw out of the 3 draws
Sept to Nov 30 Archery only Draw
Sept to oct 30 Rifle draw
Nov 1 to nov 30 Rifle draw

So if you get drawen for archery only ....you can not use your rifle come the riffle season with your archery tag . You must continue using your bow .

What it sounds what you are saying is :
If you could use your riffle with a archery tag every one would apply for the Archery Tag even if they did not own a bow , as you will get drawen on the second year and you can riffle hunt till nov. Getting drawn for riffle takes 6 years.

A lot has changed in the last few years.

The interesting question is ....if you get the draw for one of the riffle hunts can you take a shot with your bow if you are carrying both ?

Last edited by -JR-; 07-16-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Moose seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

So if you get drawen for archery only ....you can not use your rifle come the riffle season with your archery tag . You must continue using your bow .

The interesting question is ....if you get the draw for one of the riffle hunts can you take a shot with your bow if you are carrying both ?
I think what your asking is can you shoot a moose in rifle season with a bow and the answer is yes. As long as you have the appropriate tag for that season and bow permit.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 PM

But but but.....the guy at Canadian tire said.....
Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
But but but.....the guy at Canadian tire said.....
Yea and your point is? I knew I was right, just wanted clarification and assurance I in fact thought right and interpreted the regs correctly.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Yea and your point is? I knew I was right, just wanted clarification and assurance I in fact thought right and interpreted the regs correctly.
Wasn't directed at you personally....just another jab at 'things overhead at the gun counter' and epidemic of misinformation spewed at same and online forums.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

What it sounds what you are saying is :
If you could use your riffle with a archery tag every one would apply for the Archery Tag even if they did not own a bow , as you will get drawen on the second year and you can riffle hunt till nov. Getting drawn for riffle takes 6 years.

That is a good question. I'm not a 100%, but I pretty sure you could use a bow on any rifle draw if that is what you wanted to do.

BH

Last edited by BloodHound70; 07-17-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM

WOW.....I dunno where all the confusion arises from,its pretty cut and dry in the regs.

1)if you want to bowhunt moose every year,you can do so without a draw in any unit where the archery season is not indicated as a draw season with the black square.Buy a moose tag,buy a bow permit....have at'er

2)If you draw a moose tag for general rifle season,you can only bowhunt in that unit regardless if that unit and the 4 bordering units around it allow bowhunting without a draw or not....your moose draw tag is ONLY valid for that unit that you drew for,and its illegal to buy a 2nd moose tag to bowhunt wherever else you might want to prior to your draw unit's General firearm season opener....period

3)the ONLY exception might be if you draw a moose tag for firearms season and for whatever reason you decide to burn that draw and just bowhunt instead,so you buy your over the counter moose tag and bow permit and have at'er in whatever units you want that don't require archery draw.....BUT.. if you are unsuccessful during bow season,you cannot then go and buy your moose draw tag for unit XXX gun season because THAT is in fact double dipping and you cannot hold 2 moose licences in the same year.