Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Reeves01

Default Island Lake

A bit north of Athabasca. My "bibles" say it was stocked with Bass back in the 70s - 80s. Not looking for them though. (bite very poorly in winter)
Other info says: Perch to 2lbs, Pike to 12lbs and Jumbo Whitefish. I have the topo , out of "Lakes of Alberta Hydrographics, northern edition.

Has anyone been on this lake this year ? Any tips ? I have to go up there in the next couple days & thought I'd try that Lake. (unless there is a better one ?)

Thanks !
Old 02-20-2007, 11:09 AM
SNAPFisher

Default Dunno

Hey Reeves.

I've never fished Island Lake. I went there one spring in open water and turned back due to the need for a 4x4 to get through the mud to the boat launch. That was my only time there.

I hear that it fishes decent enough for pike and perch. Don't know about whites. I've never heard from anyone that has seen a bass there. Still....it interests me to find out as well.

The caution I can provide is that the NB1 area has been hit with a lot of snow. The touble with Island is that it has a 5-6 km crappy road in. Somehow I doubt anyone is traveling it much so it could be sleds only. The best you could do beyond a sled is a great 4x4, chains, and a come-a-long and tow rope. I've been stuck at least once every trip out to NB1 this year and on lakes that are more easily accessed.

Last thing is that the lake is about 25 kms just North of Smokey Lake. It is in the general area just East of Hanmore Lake (across the secondary highway).

If you do decide to go, please report back.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
jrs

Default Re: Dunno

I've heard some locals are still catching bass out of there. Guesse you'll never know whats on the end of your line.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Reeves01

Default Re: Dunno

sorry guys, I had the wrong lake in mind. I looked in my fishing bibles again this morning & the one I speak of is the one just north of Athabasca.
and now it looks like it's back to work, as early as tomorrow morning. May not have time to fish till break up ?

Thanks anyway !
Old 02-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Whitetail7

Hi Guys,

We fished Island lake just north of Athabasca on Saturday. It's the lake close to Baptiste. We got a few perch, and a couple of pike. We only fished there for a few hours in the afternoon. Lots of snow, but managed to get through with 4x4. There were a few keeper perch, but no JUMBOS.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 PM
fishhunt

Would that be Rock Island lake then.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Home Wreaker

Rock island lake is just north of calling lake.
Roads are normal good ,paved to trun off then right 3 km into .
If any one has a 4x4 and needs a partner pm me !
I have all the gear....Ice hut ,power auger etc.
John
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Reeves01

Whitetail7 has the right lake. I had to go up to Athabasca to talk with a pipe line co. , so I went to Cheap Seat Sports. The topo I have is for Island lake.

Trouble is, I was put to work the next day, so fishing that lake will have to wait....