Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
just what is the time limit to get your citizenship in Alberta
no time limit
1) don't vote Liberal
2) don't whine, just work and earn your money
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Very few of the respondents in this thread don't feel that a spill is of any concern? Whats your address so I can drop by a load of contaminated oil on your front lawn for you and your family to play in. F'n ridiculous the lack of care or education that permeates a site that supposedly supports hunting/fishing.

The almost bi-monthly reported spills and releases in this province are making the masses apathetic. I shudder to think of all the unreported botches.
You need to consider that the tone of responses are in direct relation to the constant agenda of the OP. Someone who, I'd venture to guess, is paid to spread the GW propaganda and is on here for that sole purpose.

And you'll also notice that when his GW or environmental doomsday posts get chopped down, he avoids any response to those valid criticisms, and then just posts another link that reitterates the same mantra. And he likes to "OH, that's not a real scientist....this guy (paid biased lackey with the same scientific credibility as the Alan Sokal paper) is though.

So most take his doomsday posts with a tankerload of salt. And the responses are based on his crying "WOLF!" way too many times. And have nothing to do with concern for the environment, which most on here do have.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Put some wheels on er
Hell then I would need to have a pilot truck service ( too wide). Might as well drive then, huh?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
For all you foreigners living in Alberta because there is an oil industry.

There will be accidents that happen. And the accidents will be dealt with.

If you are unable to handle this problem Go back to where you came from.
ya like grey said
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
You need to consider that the tone of responses are in direct relation to the constant agenda of the OP. Someone who, I'd venture to guess, is paid to spread the GW propaganda and is on here for that sole purpose.

And you'll also notice that when his GW or environmental doomsday posts get chopped down, he avoids any response to those valid criticisms, and then just posts another link that reitterates the same mantra. And he likes to "OH, that's not a real scientist....this guy (paid biased lackey with the same scientific credibility as the Alan Sokal paper) is though.

So most take his doomsday posts with a tankerload of salt. And the responses are based on his crying "WOLF!" way too many times. And have nothing to do with concern for the environment, which most on here do have.
I agree with you whole heartedly . no a lot of credibility there and I usually avoid his threads. My responses to this thread were to the few that seem to think oil on top of the ground is no big deal
Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
no time limit
1) don't vote Liberal
2) don't whine, just work and earn your money
Got it. I guess I'm in whew thought I just threw 35 years down the drain. Might wanna pass on that don't whine thing on to some of the Born and raised Albertans though.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I agree with you whole heartedly . no a lot of credibility there and I usually avoid his threads. My responses to this thread were to the few that seem to think oil on top of the ground is no big deal
all spills are a big deal, the point is, oil is pretty easy to clean up with no long term effects once it is contained....my rig crew works on the "not one drop" mantra, easier said than done....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
all spills are a big deal, the point is, oil is pretty easy to clean up with no long term effects once it is contained....my rig crew works on the "not one drop" mantra, easier said than done....
I have no doubt they do and I have no doubt the clean up crews are dedicated hard working men and women.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Banned

Ok... I understand the OP gets under the skin of the folks who do not accept the GW climate change theory.
I understand that more than a few here depend on oil revenue for their livelihood but... its an outdoors forum folks.

Can we not at least agree that pollution is a problem?
Can't we put aside our bias to admit that yeah.... 70 thousand liters is quite a bit and probably not something we should just brush off without much thought?

Unless folks here are debating the worth of all the data out there telling us that pollution at least...is probably not a good thing.

Honestly... a few weeks ago a member here found some trash alongside a road that he frequents.
There was nothing spectacular about it....most of the trash would break down eventually and it was probably no more than a pickup truck ful but.... folks here lost their minds.

Flash foreword to now and the equivalent to what (?) 2-3 tanker trucks worth of oil is spilled and everyone is like...so what?

Now it might not be big news or the kind that makes us start reaching for torches and rope but it is worth noting because a lack of vigilance on our part will result in a loss of incentive on the part of producers.

There are spills almost daily here and they do begin to add up eventually.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Ok... I understand the OP gets under the skin of the folks who do not accept the GW climate change theory.
I understand that more than a few here depend on oil revenue for their livelihood but... its an outdoors forum folks.

Can we not at least agree that pollution is a problem?
Can't we put aside our bias to admit that yeah.... 70 thousand liters is quite a bit and probably not something we should just brush off without much thought?

Unless folks here are debating the worth of all the data out there telling us that pollution at least...is probably not a good thing.

Honestly... a few weeks ago a member here found some trash alongside a road that he frequents.
There was nothing spectacular about it....most of the trash would break down eventually and it was probably no more than a pickup truck ful but.... folks here lost their minds.

Flash foreword to now and the equivalent to what (?) 2-3 tanker trucks worth of oil is spilled and everyone is like...so what?

Now it might not be big news or the kind that makes us start reaching for torches and rope but it is worth noting because a lack of vigilance on our part will result in a loss of incentive on the part of producers.

There are spills almost daily here and they do begin to add up eventually.
No, 70,000 is nothing, drop on the bucket, if it's crude. Only sounds big when you put it in liters, because the common person can relate that to liters of Pepsi. It's a 400 of fluid. Oil on the ground, particularlh wabasca oil, at this temp, will be like roofing tar. It ain't soaking in to anything. That stuff you can't even move with a pressure washer it's so thick. It's not soaking it to anything beside your white t-shirt. The ignorance of people out side the industry on grades of oil is astonishing. It's not all like gasoline when it comes out of the ground. A lot of it is like tar, hence the name tar sands. You ever spilled a bucket of tar and been worried about how you will contain it? Use your foot and pile some dirt in front of it to stop it from spreading.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 AM

Okay, someone who doesn't work in the patch answer this. Which is harder to clean up?
A cupe of light sweet/sour crude, a cube of heavy sweet/sour crude, a cube of condensate, or a cube of spilled hydraulic oil?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
No, 70,000 is nothing, drop on the bucket, if it's crude. Only sounds big when you put it in liters, because the common person can relate that to liters of Pepsi. It's a 400 of fluid. Oil on the ground, particularlh wabasca oil, at this temp, will be like roofing tar. It ain't soaking in to anything. That stuff you can't even move with a pressure washer it's so thick. It's not soaking it to anything beside your white t-shirt. The ignorance of people out side the industry on grades of oil is astonishing. It's not all like gasoline when it comes out of the ground. A lot of it is like tar, hence the name tar sands. You ever spilled a bucket of tar and been worried about how you will contain it? Use your foot and pile some dirt in front of it to stop it from spreading.
Listen... I appreciate that differences between fluids exist and that it might be fairly easy to clean-up and in the end low impact.... but 70 cubic meters of anything is not small potatoes.

The thing of it is I am less concerned with what was spilled as I am with the attitude towards the subject in general.

Spills are spills...pollution is pollution and whether its a chemical, an oil product or corn syrup... its worth noting and paying attention to.

Like I said earlier...even if this is not a good reason for the villagers to storm the castle with torches and pitch forks... this is an outdoorsmen forum and I find it disturbing that so many here will poo concerns raised when its oil but flip their toques when it is something that is not so near and dear to their bank accounts.

That is all.

I'm not trying to single out the industry here.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 AM

It's true . I have seen people lose their mind on here because they found a gut pile on the side of a road during hunting season. The oil can certainly be cleaned up just as the gut pile will be by a coyote . It's the public perception of people that are not familiar with the situation that makes it bad. But hey who cares in the end eh? Screw it . next time I change the oil in my truck I will save the hassle of using a tray and just park over a storm sewer drain .I mean .it's only 6 or seven litres right ? not even a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM

I hear you jungle. Neither is a good. I worked for a environmental company. I had the thoughts that it came from the ground it can go into the ground. While some of this is true the the oil is below the water table. Yes spills can be cleaned sometimes better than it was originally. It would be nice if spills never happened but they do and if a guy can learn from them to prevent the next one we'll all be better off.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

Looks like CNRL has a few more problems, including a few stop work orders.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...8-c33bcd27b42f
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM

You guys freak out over a 70 m3 oil spill yet sit back and say nothing while the agriculture industry dumps 12,000,000 kg of chemicals directly onto food crops every year.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/lands-forests...ments/8360.pdf

Pg22

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM

The difference between the spill in the OP, and a pickup load of garbage, or a gut pile on the side of a rural road, is intent.

Somebody dumped that garbage there, intentionally, and with no consideration to the repercussions it might have. They were simply acting as selfish a-holes. Our issue is with the person responsible and his act of littering.

With this pipeline leak, I am sure the company had no intent for this to happen, and I am confident that they will be responsible, entirely, for the cleanup.

If someone unloaded his tanker into a back roads ditch, I can promise you the reaction would be different.