Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Dealership dented my wife's car

The dealership dented my wife's car while it was in for service, they claim no responsibility.

Thoughts?

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Threaten to sue.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 AM

The claim they didn't do it, or they claim they won't pay for it?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Do you have any proof that it was done there. I worked in a dealership for any years and can say this happens a lot .Usually they do a walk around before the vehicle comes in but not always . Hate to say it but without picture proof you might be sol
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM

Tough to prove they did it?
How do they know that you aren't just saying that dent happened there.
I can see how it would be very frustrating on your end.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM

I had a similar incident with my truck a few months ago, took it in for service and some warranty work when I got it back it had a couple dents and a chip out of the canopy and some paint scratches. They denied any wrongdoing or responsibility.
I asked for the inspection sheet when they could not provide one I went to the general manager of the dealer ship (not the service manager) and head office with my photos of the damage and story after several meetings and many emails/phone calls they agreed to fix the damage.
It did take several weeks to get through to the right people so be persistent and document everything and don't take no for an answer.

good luck!

I now take photos of the truck when I drop it off and explain to the service rep why, hopefully it doesn't happen again but I will have the evidence to prove my position if it does.

cohod
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Dents

I once drove by an automotive shop on McLeod trail and there was a Chevy 1/2 ton hanging off the hoist, half on half off! Must have been some explaining for that one.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM

did an employee sign his name below the dent?

A mechanic takes a vehicle and parks it next to another serviced vehicle. Other guy shows up first, puts his kid in, kid kicks door. Parent shrugs and thinks, "just another car on a car lot" if they noticed it at all and drives away. you get your car and now the business pays for the other guy being careless?

Nope. Can't see it happening.

Sucks though.

Now if there's a paint mark in the door that matches their hoists perfectly ...

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 PM

image.jpgThey say they didn't do it. I took a Rubbermaid out of the back Sunday morning, and it wasn't there then, it sat in the driveway all day Sunday and went in to the dealership first thing Monday. I see their point, no proof either way and I realize they prob get a few fake claims here and there, just wondering what others have done in similar situations.

The pic is looking down to show the top of the bumper and the dented lift gate. There is also damage on the back of the bumper. Def not caused by kid kicking the door, looks like something heavy fell against it.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Unfortunately its a He said She said....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]There is a large scrape to the left and the chips on the edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.8 KB, 294 views)

Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM

My wife has taken it in right now, told her to ask if they have cameras in the shop or yard.

They also washed it, it has been in there for every oil change and service since new (40,000km) never once washed it for us before, the back bumper and lift gate were dirty because I wiped the backup camera lens when I took the Rubbermaid out. The way I see it..... IF they did it, the scrape would be through the dirt and dust, IF we had done it, the scrape would be under the dirt and dust (unless it was very recent).......if the whole car is clean no evidence either way.

Last edited by Snowdog; 04-01-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Which dealership?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
My wife has taken it in right now, told her to ask if they have cameras in the shop or yard.

They also washed it, it has been in there for every oil change and service since new (40,000km) never once washed it for us before, the back bumper and lift gate were dirty because I wiped the backup camera lens when I took the Rubbermaid out. The way I see it..... IF they did it, the scrape would be through the dirt and dust, IF we had done it, the scrape would be under the dirt and dust (unless it was very recent).......if the whole car is clean no evidence either way.
If they washed it...and never did before that's a red flag for me.

It was probably apparent that something occurred in that specific spot had they left it dirty....so they washed it so it was less noticeable IMHO.

Tell that to the service manager....

LC
Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If they washed it...and never did before that's a red flag for me.

It was probably apparent that something occurred in that specific spot had they left it dirty....so they washed it so it was less noticeable IMHO.

Tell that to the service manager....

LC
That's a very good point. The only time I've picked up a car from a garage that was washed was a body shop, which is more understandable considering all the dust in the shop.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM

One more reason why once my car leaves a Dealer's lot he never see it again nor do any Dealers EXCEPT for factory recalls. I don't buy this malarkey that a Dealer has to service the vehicle for warranty to be valid (something someone here in Alberta told me - never researched it myself) - I believe in a good solid mechanic who is honest and had a terrific one in the States and God led me to one here in Alberta.

To solidify my dislike of dealerships - the check engine light came on - called closest dealership or shop who had the computer to read what the issue was. They told me it would a week and a half before they could check it. GOOD GRIEF it takes about 10 minutes at the most for that handheld unit to be plugged into a vehicle and the whatever run on it then my understanding is it resets the light to go off.

Got off of the phone with closest dealer. Called my USA mechanic and he gave me three items it could be in order of $$ and assured me ok to drive it since no other issues were apparent.

Drove to the honest and reliable mechanic in Grimshaw, All Rite PowerTrain. Richard put his handheld on the car, came back inside and told me he ran his little handheld three times and each time it came back Oxygen Sensor. BINGO first thing Dave, USA Mechanic, told me it most likely was - he has the history of working on this car since almost new. Part ordered, went back and had it installed. Best part of this experience was the shock on Richard's face when he got the price for the oxygen sensor. He tried to break it to me gently. I was not fazed. I learned a long time ago that nothing on a vehicle once it has to go in for repairs is cheap.

So dealerships will only see me when either Keg or I buy the next new vehicle which should last us till we die.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM

So dealerships will only see me when either Keg or I buy the next new vehicle which should last us till we die.[/QUOTE]

thank god , the self diagnosing customer stays away.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM

O if some only knew what goes on on fixing or diagnosing a vehicle. It doesn't matter that the vehicle went to a dealer or a independent shop it could happen at either place . I know I have done it and seen it done by others . Not saying it's right but things happen . The best way to protect the customer and the technician is using your phone and take pictures before and after. And yes the tech to because believe it or not there's crooked people other that the auto techs.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:30 PM

As for using that hand held unit to check the light in 10 min. What good does that do. That's just a direction on where to start not a repair . It does no good to clear it because by clearing the code you can be clearing important stored information on diagnosing a fault .
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM

I'm a motorcycle mechanic. You think car guys are crazy. I do a walk around the bike before it even gets to my bench and not or take picture of any damage ( stone chips and such excluded). Customers have tried everything from it wasn't leaking when I brought it in. (Non related repair), to wiring nightmares that they create, we find and repair and say we broke, to dents that were clearly there when unit arrived. People lie, and cheat and try to take advantage. 95% of our customers are top notch, the othet 5% are usually new. The tell tale sigh of a bad customer is one that has been to 3 or 4 places that couldn't fix the problem.
Not too many hard issues on a bike.
Tullfan
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM

you have 3 choices

1-talk to the dealer principle on a 1-1 basis and see if he is an honorable guy, or

2-hire a 3rd party (Collection Agency or Lawyer) to act on your behalf for recovery or mediation, or

3-write it off.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

I do autobody and have seen it all. People have tried to get all sorts of stuff by us. It does generally change their attitude when we show them the pictures that were taken of their car, while they were still there dropping it off.
Tullfan is right, 95% of people are great. The ones that make me laugh the most are the people who come to pick up their car, and go straight to the non repaired areas looking to blame us for damage.
If we ever DO damage someones car, we let them know ASAP and ask them if its okay that we take care of it right away. Technically they do have the right to take it anywhere they want, but when you are forthright and honest, people generally trust you to fix it as well. Especially when they already chose our shop to do the original job.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
you have 3 choices

1-talk to the dealer principle on a 1-1 basis and see if he is an honorable guy, or

2-hire a 3rd party (Collection Agency or Lawyer) to act on your behalf for recovery or mediation, or

3-write it off.
good advise if you can prove it happened at the dealer , but it could have happened at any place along the way and customers sign there work orders usually before the vehicle is worked on and it states that the is no recourse for lot damage .
Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Once again.........what could a woman know right? Never said I self diagnosed my car repairs and I do not claim to know if the hand held unit merely shows what can be wrong or shows the fault and resets the light. I am guessing it does not clear any valuable information since my former mechanic in the States reset it for one of the catalytic converters, found out the silly car has two, went through the possible manufacturer warranty - which was out of date - then advised me that it could go in two weeks or go in up to a year. It was just about a year later when that check engine light came on again and sure enough it was the more expensive of the two on that lovely little dream car of mine........but at least I was working full-time and could easily afford to get it fixed.

My post was off topic anyway and once again I am wondering why I came back to this site...........see as an outsider to Alberta and not a hunter but interested in hunting and fishing thought this was the place for me but since I have made no inroads towards hunting or fishing here in Alberta I might as well leave and be gone.

Sorry to have derailed the original post of the car being dented at the dealer while work was done and I agree the car wash for the very first time is a pretty good indication that they did it. Not on purpose but I would say it happened under their watch.

and.....coolpete thank God YOU are not our mechanic. I cannot stand one with an attitude.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwoman View Post
Once again.........what could a woman know right? Never said I self diagnosed my car repairs and I do not claim to know if the hand held unit merely shows what can be wrong or shows the fault and resets the light. I am guessing it does not clear any valuable information since my former mechanic in the States reset it for one of the catalytic converters, found out the silly car has two, went through the possible manufacturer warranty - which was out of date - then advised me that it could go in two weeks or go in up to a year. It was just about a year later when that check engine light came on again and sure enough it was the more expensive of the two on that lovely little dream car of mine........but at least I was working full-time and could easily afford to get it fixed.

My post was off topic anyway and once again I am wondering why I came back to this site...........see as an outsider to Alberta and not a hunter but interested in hunting and fishing thought this was the place for me but since I have made no inroads towards hunting or fishing here in Alberta I might as well leave and be gone.

Sorry to have derailed the original post of the car being dented at the dealer while work was done and I agree the car wash for the very first time is a pretty good indication that they did it. Not on purpose but I would say it happened under their watch.

and.....coolpete thank God YOU are not our mechanic. I cannot stand one with an attitude.
Try putting Sask as your location. I've been told to leave lots.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 PM

I bought new Mitsubishi in North Vancouver. Paid extra for paint treatment and such. Had to take it to the shop myself because dealership guys had no time and it wasn't them who do the treatment. So I didnt mind and took it myself. So those guys scratched quarter panel just a little but still, its a brand new car. I notified dealership. They send me there again, told me that the shop will buff it out. While buffing it, the guy burned the paint to primer Dealership had to paint like half of the car. But you could see that it is painted, right. Long story short. After a month of me pressing them and finally when they accused me of scratching it myself i phoned cops, in front of manager, explained what happened. They told me to file a claim with insurance and take dealership to the court. In five minutes they told me to choose new Lancer but begged to choose any colour but black, because you can see scratches on black easily. Thats how you make them pay for treating you like a fool.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Try putting Sask as your location. I've been told to leave lots.
We like Batwoman. She's one of my personal favorites.

We like people from Sask too.

Could be just this once you should take things personally.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-02-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
The dealership dented my wife's car while it was in for service, they claim no responsibility.

Thoughts?
I think you should turn me loose and let me do my job.

I am quite good at it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM

The dealership said there is no way and there is a tiny speck of rust where it chipped the paint on the lift gate dent, I said the "rust" is off whatever hit it, it is such a tiny spot you can't tell what it is only that it is not silver paint. Wife wants to let it go, but we are selling the car next month.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I think you should turn me loose and let me do my job.

I am quite good at it.

I would think this is the best course of action in this situation.......