Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Australian Cattle Dogs

Hello all,

Do any of you have Australian Cattle Dogs? I have a five-and-a-half year old border collie mix (probably with an ACD) and I'm thinking of adding to the family. I'm going to be doing some photography at an Appaloosa show barn and they have puppies!

How has it worked out for you? I've done a fair bit of breed research but I wanted to hear first-hand from ACD owners themselves.

Thank you
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 AM

I love Appaloosa puppies!!!
australian shepperds are a very intelligent breed.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I love Appaloosa puppies!!!
australian shepperds are a very intelligent breed.
Different breed Pat
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Different breed Pat
oh ok......thx.
nvm OP. lol.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

I'm going to be photographing 11 new foals this month, soo excited. First one was due on Monday.

..as I derail my own thread lol.

Thanks for your input guys
Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Our Border Collie X Heeler is a fantastic dog. She is 11 years old now and retired but she worked cattle like crazy and was worth three hired men in my opinion.

They are high energy dogs that "need" to work. You will need to find something to engage them physically and mentally or you WILL have problems. No, once a week on Sunday afternoon is not enough.

Very intelligent, very trainable, wonderful dogs in the right situation with the right person.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM

They are in general
Very active
Strong minded
Very loyal
They are suited to active homes preferably working stock with a strong leader who is an experienced dog handler.
I have had ACD's in the past but I do prefer well bred border collies they just suit our operation better.
ACD's are not suitable for everyone but in the right home they are a great breed.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM

Well if nobody else will............

I've owned a couple over the yrs, used them as stock dogs more than pets, both males. I liked them, good faithful hardworking dogs but if I were to describe them in just a few words I'd use "tough tenacious bastards". Their main job was to get wild holed up cattle out of heavy brush and they did it well.

The Wiki article pretty much describes them to a tee as far as I'm concerned;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cattle_Dog
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM

My ACD(red heeler) is an amazing dog. He's 14 now and will be missed when he goes. My advice for you is to expose the dog to as many people and animals as possible when they are young. This will help them to be a social dog. You have to be very careful because they can train themselves, it sounds weird but they will pick up on stuff that you don't expect. Example, We had two border collies and the red heeler. they were all messing around in our barn, so I said go sit on the porch and they all left when I went back to the house there he was sitting on the porch. From that point on that was a new command(the border caught on shortly after). When our dogs come into the house they are to sit on the mat until their feet dry. I had to correct him twice before he realized this. he will not move until I point at him and say OK. If we pet sit for people he will actually keep the other dogs on the mat also. Its amazing to see.
They are very smart and mine is very good with our four kids and other animals. Can't say enough good thing about them.
But make sure socialize, socialize, socialize. Very important for them.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Our Bc x aussie is a strange one. A cow isn't made that will face up to her.Runs fast enough to make a greyhound proud,but has difficulty climbing into the rhino. Friendly enough though.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well if nobody else will............

I've owned a couple over the yrs, used them as stock dogs more than pets, both males. I liked them, good faithful hardworking dogs but if I were to describe them in just a few words I'd use "tough tenacious bastards". Their main job was to get wild holed up cattle out of heavy brush and they did it well.

The Wiki article pretty much describes them to a tee as far as I'm concerned;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cattle_Dog
X10. I refer to mine as a stock prod with legs . Works really well on bears too.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Ours worked both cattle and was our family dog. If you expose them to other dogs and people young they will be fine. If you don't they are very loyal and won't like other animals or people around. Tough, loyal, smart and energetic.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
X10. I refer to mine as a stock prod with legs . Works really well on bears too.
"stock prod with legs" Good one! Remember the heeler that Reg Kesler had? He load the buckin' bulls up , drop the dog in #6 and the dog would work it's way up to #1. Bull riders hated that dog 'cause those bulls flat disliked the world after that.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
"stock prod with legs" Good one! Remember the heeler that Reg Kesler had? He load the buckin' bulls up , drop the dog in #6 and the dog would work it's way up to #1. Bull riders hated that dog 'cause those bulls flat disliked the world after that.
That's cause Keslers flat disliked bull riders lol
Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Never had the Ausie sheperds but we had Blue Heelers.The one good dog Tuffy saved me hours of work.Self training,as had been said.Once they know what is expected you can count on them doing it right.We had guys drive into our farm yard and that dog would not let them out of the truck.One A-hole guy down the road from the next farm opened his truck door and aimed a kick at her.She got hold of him and ended halfway back in the truck with him.Took a good piece of pantleg.They tend to be a one man dog but as has been said they will defend your people and stock and land with their lives.When that good pup passed on I could go out and get 150 cows on their feet and moving by just yelling SIK SIK SIK TUFF.2 years later.Cows remember too.
They are not real good house pets,get a Heeler,get 3-4 cows for it to play with.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM

My friends Aussie used to kill badgers for fun....to say they are tough is an understatement. Lol
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

One thing I did forget to mention. Most, and I use that word as a generalization, Heelers that work cattle really well have a tendancy to nip/bite people. At least that has been my experience. Ours would even come by me on the blazing run every now and then and give my leg a bite on the way by. Then she would run off a ways and stand there and "laugh" at me like it was a joke.

Ours never bit hard but she did nip the odd person in the yard when they got out of their vehicles too quickly.

I have to confess I never tried to train it out of her, I would simply speak to her and she would quit and do whatever I told her to do at that moment. For my best friend it was always "Do it AGAIN!"....LOL...and she would.

They are damn smart. One time when she was in the house I told her to "Go cuddle Mom on the couch" and without hesitation she walked over and climbed up on the couch beside my wife. The dog had never been on any furniture in her life before that day. I swear those dogs "Hablas inglés".
Regards,
Dave.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Aussie, Heeler, , Australian Cattle Dog, Australian Shepherd, two different breeds

.................................... Australian Cattle Dog

..................................... Australian Shepherd

The Aussie or Australian Shepherd is not Australian in origin

Last edited by Taco; 04-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Aussie, Heeler, , Australian Cattle Dog, Australian Shepherd, two different breeds

.................................... Australian Cattle Dog

..................................... Australian Shepherd

The Aussie or Australian Shepherd is not Australian in origin
I believe the Shepard is from Spain. I've been to Australia 3 times to numerous cattle stations never seen one over there.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
I believe the Shepard is from Spain. I've been to Australia 3 times to numerous cattle stations never seen one over there.
I imported a couple Aussies out of California back in the 70's. Whilst a helluva nice dog, they didn't turn into quite the cowdogs I hoped they would be. It's my understanding that the Aussie is Basque in origin and came into the western US along with the Basque sheepherders who were hired for the large American sheep ranches via Western Australia in the 1880s-1890s.

You want a tough dog? A buddy of mine in Arizona tried crossing heelers and pitbulls to get a tougher dog that would grip heads and hang on. Said it worked pretty decent except you damn near had to shoot the dog to get him to let go. He finally give up and back to Catahoula crosses

Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Some of my Aussie friends use that cross for hunting wild pigs.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM

A friends pair of heelers have learned to nip the heels of cattle from underneath the crowding tub and alleyway. I've never seen cows so eager to get into the squeeze. It really speeds things up.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Get a heeler crossed with a kelpie. No cow is safe no matter how heads up she is