Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 AM

Default Pcr

I know I can do a search on pcr, but Internet is down and cell wont use search function. Got a newbie to get out fishing. He wants to get a few off his bucket list. So its off to Chain for a hardwater trout. Then a night fish on pcr so he can get a burb. Bait sized trout and skinny burbs.... Oh well its worth it if he gets them for the first time. Have not been to pcr yet this year. Would guess the ice is more then thick enough. Anyone set up by the launch or by the bridge as of late, maybe we should we set up by the canal inlet? If anyone is down that way pop on over to the fatfish and say hi.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Haven't been down since it froze, but was thinking might be a good way to spend Sunday. Might see you down there!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 AM

The ice was 13-14 inches thick at the boat launch and there was little to no snow. One guy drove his truck on the ice and had no problems. I managed to catch 1 burbot and 5 walleye but did not stay until dark, so you will probably have better results.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 PM

We will be on the SW side by the beach. Blue Megacab Dodge. Going around 4pm for the night fishing.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Can you keep the walleye from there?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwrek View Post
Can you keep the walleye from there?
No
Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Well siting in front of the boat launch. Have had two hits but landed none. Give it another hr I guess.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Well siting in front of the boat launch. Have had two hits but landed none. Give it another hr I guess.
so same old same old eh? should have hit Newell with us today at least you catch fish there, well sometimes

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Default No more luck

Maybe his luck has finally run out. Yes I am sure he would have caught at least a few today. Lol.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 PM

The guys I went with from work today were not into heading that way. One of the fellas is an oldef guy and is happy with dink trout from Chain. Managed a bunch of small rainbows today. There is a small shanty town out here on pcr so we set up past everyone. Think we are in a little too deep of h2o. But thats fishing.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM

three of us got skunked there today. lol
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Four of us got skunked also tonight. No hits, nibbles, nothing.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 AM

caught 7 eyes and 4 burbs
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Had tons of small bites. But could not land anything. Even started to use a stinger on my jig and still could not land anything. Bite was slow till about 1030pm then picked up. Everyone I talked to had a crappy day there as well.

Oops just seen that I am Mrsjts1 today.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM

was there last night and was getting bites non-stop. limited out with burbs and the old lady was catchin so many eye she had to take a break. have a question about burbs. i seen guys skin them with 2 pairs of plyers. how do they do it?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfewchuk View Post
was there last night and was getting bites non-stop. limited out with burbs and the old lady was catchin so many eye she had to take a break. have a question about burbs. i seen guys skin them with 2 pairs of plyers. how do they do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAJ2JrZ1rJI
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM

That is kinda of the way but better to nail the head down
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdD8...e_gdata_player

I would not use seasoning salt myself. I like a little Mrs. Dash and some lemon juice. But makes for a wicked eat on the ice.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM

And on another note. Due to a thread I commented on for dealing with yahoos on the ice. And hearing that I may be a little aggressive at times. I practiced good self control last night. Did not get out of my shack when they started to pull donuts and rip around my tent on there stupid quad. Might of had something to do with the fact that I was with a fella from work. But regardless I controlled the erge to come out tell them just what I thought of there screaming and antics around my shack. Am sure they were drunk but they had a trailer set up on the shore for an overnight so did not worry about them driving. Or would have called RCMP.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Had best get on my own profile before I give the wife a bad rep

Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjts1 View Post
And on another note. Due to a thread I commented on for dealing with yahoos on the ice. And hearing that I may be a little aggressive at times. I practiced good self control last night. Did not get out of my shack when they started to pull donuts and rip around my tent on there stupid quad. Might of had something to do with the fact that I was with a fella from work. But regardless I controlled the erge to come out tell them just what I thought of there screaming and antics around my shack. Am sure they were drunk but they had a trailer set up on the shore for an overnight so did not worry about them driving. Or would have called RCMP.
you sure are a mean one Mrs!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM

I was down at pcr today for a couple hours out by the boat launch 4-7 this evening, there were several of us and we only caught 1 walleye and 1 burb. It seems a little odd down there the last couple of times I have gone down, we have only caught a couple each time. I have done really well down there in the summer of course and on previous ice fishing caught a number of walleye anyways. We have been using 4 inch sardines on the tipups and jighead with minnow on the hand lines and fishing 6 -12 inches from the bottom, seems that these setups ought to be working much better than they have been. What time of day have you guys been getting the burbs and using what setup?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:01 PM

The burbs start the serious bite from about 5 onward. You should set your hook right on the bottom or no more than an inch or two off.

I think if you do that your luck with burbs should change.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Not mine. Tried everything and still no burbs. Has been crap the last few times I went there. Thats it for this year on pcr stick to more productive lakes

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

too much bait, try 1/4 ounce glowjigs with a piece of smelt, not even a big piece, maybe an inch or a little bigger. thats all Ive been using for the walleye Ive been catching, not at PCR but same same, they are good at getting the bait off, but the smaller the pice the better the hook up, at least for me. or smaller minnows on the same jig. thump it on the bottom a few times to kick up some silt then let them sit a while, or raise them an inch or two off the bottom

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
too much bait, try 1/4 ounce glowjigs with a piece of smelt, not even a big piece, maybe an inch or a little bigger. thats all Ive been using for the walleye Ive been catching, not at PCR but same same, they are good at getting the bait off, but the smaller the pice the better the hook up, at least for me. or smaller minnows on the same jig. thump it on the bottom a few times to kick up some silt then let them sit a while, or raise them an inch or two off the bottom
That works best, I also buy pickled herring dry it and put small pieces on the jig. It gives off a lot of oil that I think gets the burbot coming around. My brother in law uses bacon and nails the burbot each and every time out.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM

I was out on Friday afternoon, had lots of bites starting just after 6 landed one burbot then the wife called and I had to head back to the city.

I was using large smelts cut in 2 inch pieces on a glow jig. I want to go out after work aging this Friday but only if I can stay well into the night.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
I was out on Friday afternoon, had lots of bites starting just after 6 landed one burbot then the wife called and I had to head back to the city.

I was using large smelts cut in 2 inch pieces on a glow jig. I want to go out after work aging this Friday but only if I can stay well into the night.

I may be able to try that with ya on fri night

Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
I may be able to try that with ya on fri night
Sounds good I will send you a PM when I know what my plans are.