Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Default "Fish finder/depth finder" reccomendations.. your picks and why?

I am looking at purchasing a "fish finder". I do not need the best, nor the most expensive finder on the market.

I am looking for a finder with the following options:

1) Depth (pretty obvious). Not reading less than 2 feet is fine by me. I want something that will read to 30+ feet no problem. Most of my fishing is done between 8-15 feet of water. I like to find drop offs, etc.

2) Water Temperature

3) GPS and GPS tracking or pin point location I can plug in and remember. Pinpoint location not critical as I can always write the numbers down in a log book for the lake.

Other features may be usefull, however I am not familiar with all the features out there....

I will be looking at purchasing new or used. If you have one for sale feel free to pm me with the details.

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM

I have an eagle X4 pro, does everything I want. Shows depth, bottom hardness and weeds. Around a hundred and thirty, wish I would have got the X4 for thirty less. I never use it to find fish, I'm just looking for places fish like to hang out. But once you learn how to read it you'll see all sorts of interesting stuff, fish, bugs, air bubbles, you'll even learn how to differentiate between different types of weeds. Just leave the fish alarm and the stupid fish symbols off and really watch it, it's amazing how quickly you will learn what it's telling you. Have fun with your new toy!!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have an eagle X4 pro, does everything I want. Shows depth, bottom hardness and weeds. Around a hundred and thirty, wish I would have got the X4 for thirty less.
what does the x4 pro do that the x4 doesnt then??
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Monger View Post
what does the x4 pro do that the x4 doesn't then??
From what I can ascertain the only difference is the pro has a dual cone transducer, a narrow and wide beam, they are not used at the same time. Meaning it can be used for deeper water which I don't need. Please don't take that as gospel if you are looking and check it out for yourself. I generally over buy my stuff but having had one with a lot of gadgets before, I knew what I wanted and for me this little cheap fits the bill perfectly. I've used it about thirty times and never once have I wished for a more expensive model.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I have an eagle X4 pro, does everything I want. Shows depth, bottom hardness and weeds. Around a hundred and thirty, wish I would have got the X4 for thirty less. I never use it to find fish, I'm just looking for places fish like to hang out. But once you learn how to read it you'll see all sorts of interesting stuff, fish, bugs, air bubbles, you'll even learn how to differentiate between different types of weeds. Just leave the fish alarm and the stupid fish symbols off and really watch it, it's amazing how quickly you will learn what it's telling you. Have fun with your new toy!!
Thank you for the info.

As long as I see the bottom, it will provide me with a decent place to start.

The GPS, may not be necessary if I can have a clear view of the bottom. I can always use the fish finder with my bathymetric charts of Alberta to help pin point what I am lookin for.

This gives me a good starting point....

Where did you purchase the X4 Pro?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Get the GPS !!!! I strongly urge you.

Besides the obvious feature of finding the honey hole and being able to re-locate it i use mine to mark waypoints along the drop offs at 10ft depths and regular intervals along the shoreline.

Next time out, troll just to the inside, along, or to the deep side of the waypoint markers (as fishing conditions dictate). If I see the fish are deeper -I run the boat just outside and vice-versa.

Spend more time on target and on fish!!!!

Guarantee more fish ........... or …… your money back ........ lol

I love the Lowrance products and swear by them but have been recently interested in seeing the cool technology hummingbird is coming up with and how things link up (MinnKotta link, Cannon link, etc…).
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Get the GPS !!!! I strongly urge you.

Besides the obvious feature of finding the honey hole and being able to re-locate it i use mine to mark waypoints along the drop offs at 10ft depths and regular intervals along the shoreline.
Next time out, troll just to the inside, along, or to the deep side of the waypoint markers (as fishing conditions dictate). If I see the fish are deeper -I run the boat just outside and vice-versa.

Spend more time on target and on fish!!!!

Guarantee more fish ........... or …… your money back ........ lol

I love the Lowrance products and swear by them but have been recently interested in seeing the cool technology hummingbird is coming up with and how things link up (MinnKotta link, Cannon link, etc…).
I don't think you can go wrong with either.
These are al good points. In Bold is what I like and what I would want to do. Are you limited to how many points you can mark in the GPS units?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Yes, but most units will store 1000 waypoints or so (each model might be different).

I've had my HDS5 for 3 years, and have marked lots of structure, on many lakes, and still have plenty of space to store more. This is one thing worth looking into when shopping for a unit.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Thank you for the info.

As long as I see the bottom, it will provide me with a decent place to start.

The GPS, may not be necessary if I can have a clear view of the bottom. I can always use the fish finder with my bathymetric charts of Alberta to help pin point what I am lookin for.

This gives me a good starting point....

Where did you purchase the X4 Pro?
Bass Pro, WSS, Fishinhole, probably CT.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM

How extra would gps run? Might be cheaper to buy a seperate unit and have it for hunting as well?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
How extra would gps run? Might be cheaper to buy a seperate unit and have it for hunting as well?
Defiinitely the GPS feature adds cost, but typically about the same as a good quality handheld unit. ($150 kind of thing).

The key thing is having your display split so you can see the "general" depth contours on your chip (like the navionics), and working to steer your boat as you troll to "connect the dots" on the drops (waypoints) you marked. This keeps you moving and steering to "productive water". No guess work and steering in and out like Stevie Wonder at the helm.

Everyone who I know who has gone to a GPS fish finder never will go back to no GPS. How much time do you spend in shallower water trying to steer out, clear the weeds from your lure etc.... or in water too deep dragging your tackle through an empty lake. Staying on target, with the lure in the water, in productive water will increase your catch rates by 300%-500% in my humble opinion. Literally 3 to 5 times more fish in the boat.

Another really cool feature, when going to a brand new lake, you can zoom into productive looking areas using your GPS and "narrow it down" by going and surveying the water and structure and marking off the promising areas - then the ability to return right to the exact spot. New lakes take alot less time to figure out and when you find a spot - you can go right back, within 2-3 feet, at be right back on fish.

I can't see that working as easily with a handheld. Espechially when you are steering, trolling, holding a rod and eating some popcorn. The handheld GPS will end snack time for sure.

The other half of your display, obviously, shows you the depth, structure, and weeds (and fish) as you troll as well.

Really it boils down to budget. The first and most important thing to purchase if you want to be a serious angler, in my opinion is good electronics. Unfortunately these combo units come at a cost and start at about $350 to $400 or so. This is, admittedly, twice as much as decent entry level sonar fish finder would cost you.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM

I could see the advantage of that, we had a favorite inside weed edge on a mid lake bar that we had to triangulate to find. When the weeds died down it became harder because you could not see the growth, to be right "on" the "spot".
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm scoping out the hummingbird 587CI HD COMBO.

I spent an hour at whole sale sports south common looking at these things.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is that for plotting and charting it appears I need to purchase the map kit. I can get one for al of Canada or a few select ones. The add on maps range from $100.0 to $170.00

The humming bird was $625.00 at whole sale sports (in store) and I just checked Canadian tire online where it's $499.99.

Any thoughts on this humming bird?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 PM

I have the highest priced hummingbird fishin buddy. 140c. Its basic, but its so accurate with depth and marking fish. I was skeptical with previous fish finders about fish being marked, but i have proved many times with this finder, that its actually marking fish on both the down scan, and side scan. Its not as expensive, but if you want portable this is a good one. I did my research on finders and got in touch with Brian Chan in BC about a good fish finder for lake fishing + portability on a pontoon boat, float tube, or aluminum. He recommended this one above all others.

Just thought i'd throw in my 2cents. May or may not be any help to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

what the heck do you need a gps for? i have a buddy who knows everything about fishing and he told me that when he finds a good spot he just puts an x on the side of his boat.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM

try radioworld.ca

the prices on occasion can't be beat even with the shipping costs
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 AM

This is an excellent choice - you won't be disapointed.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the pointers and advice!

I might pull the trigger on this in a few days. I'm heading out again this weekend a few times. My goal is to explore new spots, chart, fish, enjoy and be prepared for next year.

I'll still be fishing till late oct/early November.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Just picked up the humminbird 587 CI HD combo from Canadian tire in Leduc. There's only 1 left now in the Edmonton and area.

$499.99 plus GST.

I'm looking forward to testing it out on Saturday.

I didn't pick up the map package. I'm going to see what's out there for options and pricing.

Thanks again for your help folks.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:

The humming bird was $625.00 at whole sale sports (in store) and I just checked Canadian tire online where it's $499.99.
I have found that Wholesale sports is a lot more expensive than most places. I've just stopped going there.

congrats on the new fishfinder, looks like you got a good deal on the humminbird.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
I have found that Wholesale sports is a lot more expensive than most places. I've just stopped going there.

congrats on the new fishfinder, looks like you got a good deal on the humminbird.

I found that too. I do like the variety of items they have to go an Gawk at though.

Since this is going in an aluminum fishing boat, I am fabricating a base so it will sit nicely on the row seat beside the motor/operator. I'll do a bit of a write up on installation/fabrication of the base and unit so people can be inspired or given a few ideas how to do it on their own.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM

I have to admit this fish finder/GPS unit paid huge dividends.

Was out at wabamun last night. Found the reef, found a few very nice drop offs, and a great drop off east of fallis point. The drop off or shall I say cliff went from a depth of 6 feet to 25 feet in 5-8 linear feet.

I was using my daughters pink jig and minnows. I landed 17 pike in the boat and 13 got off on good behavior. Largest like I landed was 35 inches and 8lbs.

There were a few heavy hitters that got off, but not many.

If anyone is considering a GPS/depth finder I would recconend purchasing one. It's well worth the money.

I found this one easy to use.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post

More expensive then fishin' hole?

I find Wholesale is always cheaper then Cabelas and has much better sales(I go to south common store). Never been to a fishin' hole store to know how they compare though. Walmart and Canadian Tire obviously cheaper but nowhere near the selection or quality.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
More expensive then fishin' hole?

I find Wholesale is always cheaper then Cabelas and has much better sales(I go to south common store). Never been to a fishin' hole store to know how they compare though. Walmart and Canadian Tire obviously cheaper but nowhere near the selection or quality.
Definitely more selection in the specialty stores like wholesale, cabelas and the fising hole but all three are definitely priced are higher. Between the three of them, I've found it depends on the product.

On any major purchase I check places like canadian tire first.

If you are shopping for the same product, manufactured by the same manufacturer, then quality is the same. It's the junk stuff you have to be careful in comparing....
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I have to admit this fish finder/GPS unit paid huge dividends.

Was out at wabamun last night. Found the reef, found a few very nice drop offs, and a great drop off east of fallis point. The drop off or shall I say cliff went from a depth of 6 feet to 25 feet in 5-8 linear feet.

I was using my daughters pink jig and minnows. I landed 17 pike in the boat and 13 got off on good behavior. Largest like I landed was 35 inches and 8lbs.

There were a few heavy hitters that got off, but not many.

If anyone is considering a GPS/depth finder I would recconend purchasing one. It's well worth the money.

I found this one easy to use.
I am happy you considered my advice, and those of other contributors.

Bad news is ..... lol ...... now you will never be able to live without one now.......

Your catch rate will increase, you will waste less time and effort staying om target and will never look back .......

congrats
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I am happy you considered my advice, and those of other contributors.

Bad news is ..... lol ...... now you will never be able to live without one now.......

Your catch rate will increase, you will waste less time and effort staying om target and will never look back .......

congrats
Thank you to you and everyone who provided solid advice in the thread.

Sadly I think you're right. I can't go back with out a finder and GPS. I can provide the testimonial about the success increase and taking some guess work out of it.

A few points of clarification for this fish finder.

1) one does need to purchase an full sized SD card. I picked up a 8GB for just under $8.00 at memory express. I don't know if this will be large enough or not..

2) follow the instructions and update the software to the latest version.

3) contrary to my previous post. One does not need to purchsse the extra map package to use the GPS pinpoints and markers.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Hds

I have an HDS-7 and a HDS 5 both awsome graphs, and great GPS/Lake maps for them. Bought them together, not a bad deal though BPS,
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The first and most important thing to purchase if you want to be a serious angler, in my opinion is good electronics. Unfortunately these combo units come at a cost and start at about $350 to $400 or so. This is, admittedly, twice as much as decent entry level sonar fish finder would cost you.
In my opinion, a serious anglers first purchase should be a rod, reel, line and some lures. I think they're more important then electronics. That's just my opinion though.

You got a good sonar unit in the Hummingbird. My dad's had one for years and the only time it has failed us was at some select remote lakes in BC where the depth was obviously far deeper then the range of the sonar and that caused issues. He recently picked up one of the portable units for our fly in trips and we love it.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM

My HDS 5 gen 1 is great, until it just died, I sent it in for warranty and got a replacement in 5 days. I couldn't believe my reaction when it just quit on Cold Lake, I panicked like my engine wouldn't start in bad weather. its amazing how attatched you get to these new units. I can't live without it.