Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Default 540 pound beast

Anyone see this beast yet, what a huge huge halibut.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ut-Norway.html

Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Looks like something out of a horror movie. Monster fish tho, wonder what the fight was like?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM

Wow...

That must have been a good long fight to bring that fish in.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Barn door.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

Like realling in an open XL golf umbrella,,, it just tastes better.

I thought the title of your thread was a guess on the average weight of ao forum members.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

nom nom nom, would love some steaks from that.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post

I thought the title of your thread was a guess on the average weight of ao forum members.
I would hope all the fishing and hunting people do here keeps people in good health lol
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM

Thought we were talking about that thing I woke up beside on the weekend.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

Never caught them on a rod, would be fun. I've caught them with a handline and jigger, royal PITA to get them off the bottom but once they start the ascent, it's all good.

Never caught anything that big before
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Never caught them on a rod, would be fun. I've caught them with a handline and jigger, royal PITA to get them off the bottom but once they start the ascent, it's all good.

Never caught anything that big before
They do fight, the bigger ones, like an open umbrella that is having 10 pin bowling balls dropped on it.

Hey shaun, go find the thread on "how much do you weigh" add up all the weights then divide by those members who posted their weight,, the answer will be thereabouts a mini backhoe plus forty miners pick axes in mass.

I'm a fatty, so its ok for me to talk about it.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

I would say you are much taller than you are wide Gus.

Likely twice as tall as wide at least
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I would say you are much taller than you are wide Gus.

Likely twice as tall as wide at least
Uhm, are you calling me an oval?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Banned

depends..

how big are your feet?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
depends..

how big are your feet?
Tiny, like humpty dumpty's,,, I am like those punching bags that right themselves except I stay horizontal,, I wear a small cap too,,, actually I am more like tweedle dee or his counter part,,, i've been mistaken for a waterbed,,, I use a stick with a serviette I the bathroom for those hard to reach places...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Are you calling me fat?!

'Cause I am

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Thought we were talking about that thing I woke up beside on the weekend.
know what you mean. i woke up beside her older, bigger sister on grey cup weekend in winnipeg.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 AM

My BBQ would like a piece of that!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM

barn door with an I hook in the middle. Probably a similar texture too when cooked. I'll take 20-50lbers for table fare myself.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Looking at that monster and trying to get my brain around the question of how did that creature get the second eye to rotate to the same side of it's face as the other top one??? He's like this: "OK, I'm gonna lie on one side so I can hide, and it will change color so it's different than the top side color. Good plan. But dang, now my eye is all full of sand. This sucks. I know, I'll shift it over to the other side of my head. Ya, that's the idea! Well, it will take a long time, and millions of generations, so it won't help me because I'll be dead by then, but better start now anyway."

Hmmmmm??? I wonder if that eye actually can see? I figure if it got rubbed in the sand for a long time it might just get damaged and then why not just dispense with it?

Oh well ... Nice fish anway.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
Looking at that monster and trying to get my brain around the question of how did that creature get the second eye to rotate to the same side of it's face as the other top one??? He's like this: "OK, I'm gonna lie on one side so I can hide, and it will change color so it's different than the top side color. Good plan. But dang, now my eye is all full of sand. This sucks. I know, I'll shift it over to the other side of my head. Ya, that's the idea! Well, it will take a long time, and millions of generations, so it won't help me because I'll be dead by then, but better start now anyway."

Hmmmmm??? I wonder if that eye actually can see? I figure if it got rubbed in the sand for a long time it might just get damaged and then why not just dispense with it?

Halibut fry start out like any other fish. They swim vertically, not horizontally, with eyes on either side of thier body. They then go through a metamorphosis where thier insides move to one side and the one eye moves to the other, they widen out and start living as a flat fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qePwW44HhNg

A video of the process.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Halibut fry start out like any other fish. They swim vertically, not horizontally, with eyes on either side of thier body. They then go through a metamorphosis where thier insides move to one side and the one eye moves to the other, they widen out and start living as a flat fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qePwW44HhNg

A video of the process.
That is quite amazing. These fish are obviously quite special and are genetically programmed to undergo this transformation. Why do they get all the fun? I'm sure with a little creative thinking it would not be difficult to come up with other metamorphosis that would be neat for other creatures. Most of us are boring in comparison, being symmetrical as we are.

Entirely coincidentally my wife just came home from shopping at T&T supermarket in Edmonton with a whole sole fish so I could observe the two eyes close up. Funny because that's the first time she's ever brought such a whole creature home from shopping! But I know it will be tasty.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
know what you mean. i woke up beside her older, bigger sister on grey cup weekend in winnipeg.
Nothing wrong with the big ones. In the morning take em to the stockyards. I hear pork prices are up.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post

Yeah, haha these fish always confuse me when I see them.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Nice! My buddy's Chris and rob nailed this guy in the summer on a salmon head lol
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM

problem with those monsters is they are real fishy tasting and full of worms for the most part ..and all the big'ns are female and its a loss to the fishery to harvest the beasts ,, but with that said .. she big one big fish mon
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
problem with those monsters is they are real fishy tasting and full of worms for the most part ..and all the big'ns are female and its a loss to the fishery to harvest the beasts ,, but with that said .. she big one big fish mon
All bottom fish are full of worms, especially cod their practically crawling wit them but they taste great I've never had a fishy tasting chunk of halibut ? Not even the monsters, I have steaks in the freezer from a 175lber and you couldn't tell the difference from a 20lber I look forward to bonking the big ones and filling the freezer, got an issue with that take it up the the department of fisheries.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
All bottom fish are full of worms, especially cod their practically crawling wit them but they taste great I've never had a fishy tasting chunk of halibut ? Not even the monsters, I have steaks in the freezer from a 175lber and you couldn't tell the difference from a 20lber I look forward to bonking the big ones and filling the freezer, got an issue with that take it up the the department of fisheries.
dont be foolish friend .. i personally dont care what you eat .. good on you lol ..i have commercial fished for many many yrs and seen and tasted a few fish .. like i said eat what you want .. heck the japanese eat allll kinds of repulsive stuff and call it good lol ...i certainly dont have a single problem with what you do .. lol lol
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
dont be foolish friend .. i personally dont care what you eat .. good on you lol ..i have commercial fished for many many yrs and seen and tasted a few fish .. like i said eat what you want .. heck the japanese eat allll kinds of repulsive stuff and call it good lol ...i certainly dont have a single problem with what you do .. lol lol
I have also commercial fished from tofino to wallcan on Quadra island I was born in Campbell river bc, I also have tasted a few fish lololololol and still do. Big halli taste just fine.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I have also commercial fished from tofino to wallcan on Quadra island I was born in Campbell river bc, I also have tasted a few fish lololololol and still do. Big halli taste just fine.
each to there own friend .. so what took you from the coast to alberta? my son is in fort st john and still has a place for sale in campbell river ... pretty slow here . the mill is shut down which i am sure you know and the story is it has sold but very hush hush ..be interesting to see. The town is still building , they even have a big sign up next to micky dee's across from the quadra ferry for a 3 story retirment home / assisted living . lots going on for a dead town ..
know of anyone that wants a completely remodeled mobile home all drywalled and the 5 new appliances for 38000..lol
have a good day

Last edited by thunderheart; 11-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.