Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Default Ice fishing for trout

Took a friend and 4 young kids out to star lake yesterday to try our luck for trout and got skunked. My friends 5 year old girl piped up after we left that we should have went to superstore and bought some. LOL, oh my poor ego

It was my first time in 20+ years ice fishing for trout and I think I need some pointers here for the next round. Was using small jigs with a combination of cheese, corn and shrimp. The girls got bored and started tossing corn down some of the holes - pretty cool actually, the corn lit up pretty good and we could see the trout as they were swimming over it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM

I wouldent be throwing bait down the hole, that would be considered cumming and not legal in Alberta.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonfisherman View Post
I wouldent be throwing bait down the hole, that would be considered chumming and not legal in Alberta.
Yep, i'll be sure to slap the hands of the 4 and 5 year old girls the next time they do it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

What lake?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I wouldent be throwing bait down the hole, that would be considered cumming and not legal in Alberta.
Please tell me we all missed out on your sense of humour.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM

How deep were you fishing? It seems like you had the right bait for a good day.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM

i went out today as well for some trout through the ice at a local pond and got skunked....

Think ill stay away from the trout ponds from now on...

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishabs View Post
How deep were you fishing? It seems like you had the right bait for a good day.
Anywhere from 7 - 10 feet of water, if I had to hazard a guess. Like I say, when the girls tossed corn down, we could see them swimming over it, right by the hooks. Just no interest. I'm beginning to think i'm just bad luck through the ice lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Cool pick your days.

Naw man you just picked a technically poor day to fish, 4 days after a full moon on a east wind. Sounds like you done every thing right to be able to catch fish. in stocked ponds trout get smart quick or end up in a pan. I think the kids may have hurt you presentation dropping bait down the hole , the fish key on the falling bait and refuse static baits. Closer to the full moon with a wind from the south turning west and your tactics should bring success. Hope that helps . Tight lines.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM

You can never go wrong with worms for trout bait.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Pink power bait.
Sometimes they are such light biters, I bet you missed alot of hook sets as you didn't even know they were on your hook.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Pink power bait.
Sometimes they are such light biters, I bet you missed alot of hook sets as you didn't even know they were on your hook.
This is why I use some form of slip bobber when fishing for trout through the ice. Last outing for brookies in 3-5 fow I was watching them swim up and just kiss my bait trying to lift it off the hook. The bobber will show you every little nudge and tug.

I recommend cutting the top and bottom off the long foam floats, since the line runs down the outside of these floats in the middle and they use rubber tubbing that doesn't ice up as bad as traditional slip bobbers. Put some sort of high vis band on the bottom part though otherwise it's just a little black thing floating there.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Use butterworms, the trout love them and you should have your limit quite quick.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Default Trout bait

Try meal worms or regular worm pieces on a #8 bait hook, 1/16 oz bright colored jig or small spoon - slaughters rainbows where I fish around Calgary
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 AM

If heard of guys putting egg shells down the hole I dont know if it's legal but that would make it easier to see the fish
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmuiz View Post
If heard of guys putting egg shells down the hole I dont know if it's legal but that would make it easier to see the fish
Yeah, I have heard of guys doin this way back in the day...

The problem is, where are you going to get a whole bunch of egg shells? I don't eat eggs too often.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmuiz View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, that's considered chumming and you could get fined for doing it. Been a hot topic on here a few times in the last couple years...
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, that's considered chumming and you could get fined for doing it. Been a hot topic on here a few times in the last couple years...
the fish dont eat the egg shells.. so i dont think it would be considered chumming.. its only for reflection....

I know this sounds crazy but i sometime tie a small glow stick about 6-10 inches about my bait.. then if something is swimming around it i can see em. Doesnt work if your fishing deep however.

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
the fish dont eat the egg shells.. so i dont think it would be considered chumming.. its only for reflection....
I agree with you but several members have contacted SRD about it. They consider it dumping waste and/or chumming, and therefore you can get fined if you do it. Just a friendly heads-up.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=eggshells
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? They are 4 and 5 year old girls. Lighten up for gods sake. Guess we better find a way to get our bait back when it falls off the hook too eh?

TO the OP I havent had much luck with early season trout, Usually I wait until they are good and hungry then head out. I would say your in the right direction with your baits, usually we use a 1/8 or 1/16 ounce jog head (Pink, gold or chartreuse) and have a large variety of powerbait ready to go.

I have even added my own ingredient to some powerbait and havent had a slow day in a loooong time.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you kidding me? They are 4 and 5 year old girls. Lighten up for gods sake. Guess we better find a way to get our bait back when it falls off the hook too eh?
Pretty sure he was just advising the OP to watch out, since it is illegal and an officer could choose to give him a fine. I don't think anyone is too mad at the young girls or worried about retrieving bait that falls off.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

TO the OP I havent had much luck with early season trout, Usually I wait until they are good and hungry then head out. I would say your in the right direction with your baits, usually we use a 1/8 or 1/16 ounce jog head (Pink, gold or chartreuse) and have a large variety of powerbait ready to go.

I have even added my own ingredient to some powerbait and havent had a slow day in a loooong time.
Early season ice trout is easy. Just got to go to the right lake. Power bait and or shrimp.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 PM

If u r going to put egg shells in your hole make sure u wash them good first or they will cloud up your hole from the oils in the eggs........as far as bait take some cheese wiz and break up bread pieces in it and add some garlic powder..make balls out of it...let dry good u have a great bait
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
This is why I use some form of slip bobber when fishing for trout through the ice. Last outing for brookies in 3-5 fow I was watching them swim up and just kiss my bait trying to lift it off the hook. The bobber will show you every little nudge and tug.

I recommend cutting the top and bottom off the long foam floats, since the line runs down the outside of these floats in the middle and they use rubber tubbing that doesn't ice up as bad as traditional slip bobbers. Put some sort of high vis band on the bottom part though otherwise it's just a little black thing floating there.
X2 I use them for Burbs at night and have a large slip bobber for pike. I hate the little springs on your rod tip for light bites.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Tiny jigs packed with 3-5 maggots are the bomb for trout. Marabou jigs in glow pink, black, or green are good producers as are the tiny tungsten jigs. I like marabou because it pulses and moves with the slightest movement even on the pause. Use a classic lift, drop, pause, technique with the pause being the trigger for the bite. Make sure you hook (just nick them or they'll explode) the maggots through the fat end so they will stay alive and wiggle away on the hook. You can tip the jigs with any bait you like but the live wiggling maggots are my personal favourite. The use of a flasher to let you know when the fish are looking at your lure will make your catch rate skyrocket, because you know to change your presentation when the fish are on top of your jig. Pause......pause.... Jiggle... wait for it..... Fish on!!!!

Try it. You'll like it!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM

I've been fishing that lake regularly and haven't been skunked yet. I just use power bait on a pickeral rig. I always make my own leaders off the rig and use really small hooks. The trout swallow the powerbait so if your planning on catching and releasing, it's not a good technique. I'm planning on taking my kids back out there this weekend and I'll let you know how we do.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 PM

For ice fishing trout I find that trout usually feed closer to shore than you think.
Even shallower water gives a fish less water to chase prey in.

I have caught lots of brookies thru the ice, 5 ft. from shore in 2 feet of water depth.

You might be fishing in 10 feet of water for rainbows in stocked waters and find they all are biting a foot under the ice. If you catch one, open up the gut and see what it is eating. match the color.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
You can never go wrong with worms for trout bait.
X2 Worms are the only thing I use when fishing for stocked trout...unless I forget to bring my worms out!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Tiny jigs packed with 3-5 maggots are the bomb for trout. Marabou jigs in glow pink, black, or green are good producers as are the tiny tungsten jigs. I like marabou because it pulses and moves with the slightest movement even on the pause. Use a classic lift, drop, pause, technique with the pause being the trigger for the bite. Make sure you hook (just nick them or they'll explode) the maggots through the fat end so they will stay alive and wiggle away on the hook. You can tip the jigs with any bait you like but the live wiggling maggots are my personal favourite. The use of a flasher to let you know when the fish are looking at your lure will make your catch rate skyrocket, because you know to change your presentation when the fish are on top of your jig. Pause......pause.... Jiggle... wait for it..... Fish on!!!!

Try it. You'll like it!
hell yes my exact thoughts the trout at this time of year are all over that caught a trout fishin for perch once since then its my only choice for them and we always do good