Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 PM

Default Jigging Minnewanka in July...

How's jigging Minnewanka at this time of year? We don't have down-riggers on our boat, but do have all the proper National Park legal jigs for lakers. What depth are the lakers hanging out for this time of the year? Any advice via this thread or PM is appreciated. I've been skunked there twice this year and am eager to try again.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 PM

I've done my best jigging on this lake in July... I find they are most active in the 25-50 ft depth range this time of year, on the arm of the lake closest to the launch.

Early season (May/June), I find more fish are active at the far end (east arm) of Minnewanka for some reason.

That said, I've talked to several fellow fishermen of this lake and it's been a pretty slow year, (assumably) because the lake is down many feet due to little run off in the spring... but I'm sure there are some AOF members who've smashed em this year as well!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM

I am also heading out there in 2 weeks and am looking forward to not being skunked this year.

I have had big fish on but line or knot fails. Just talked with a guy today at fishin hole and he taught me a sweet new knot....here's hopin'!!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Jig in 40-50 ft with single tail white mister twisters on the west shore by the 2 points. If your in the right spot you will hear small water falls. Be on the water by 5 am. I'm usually leaving when other guys are just getting out ! Caught a 32 lber last time out ! That was a couple years ago, but I'm itching to go back. I'm on vacation next week, if anyone is going mid week pm me if interested !
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I used to fish the lake as a kid during the pre-bait ban back in the 70's and 80's, but haven't the last 25 years. I've read everything on AO about fishing for lakers at Minnewanka over the last few months and was quite discouraged on my two outings this year (May). Not so much as a bite or fish following the jigs.

This jig thing is new to me.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:25 PM

I hear ya....I, too was taken there by big brother and have great memories. taking my 3 boys out and hoping to create some for them!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 PM

Remember that you can't use lead head jigs or lead weights under 50 grams in national parks.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Remember that you can't use lead head jigs or lead weights under 50 grams in national parks.
I can recite the National Park regs by memory, no worries. But the number of people I ran into there earlier in May who didn't know the regs was unbelievable. The warden stopped 2 groups of people while we were securing our boat above the boat launch. They all had Canadian Tire fishing rod and tackle/lure packages with no National Park licenses.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM

We were out on Minnewanka in May as well - the water level was low and the clarity was cloudy.

Fishing was tough - we did not mark any big schools of lakers ....... lake looked empty according to the sonar.

The only thing that seemed to work was trolling. The plan was to troll to locate and then jig - didn't get to do too much jigging as there were simply no fish to be found.

We spent 20 plus hours on the water and worked all the popular spots with poor results. A 5-6 lb laker was the highlight.