Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Who "owns" the ice holes...

Just curious on guys thoughts about this. A few years ago we saw some guys come onto the lake and claim the holes, saying they drilled them yesterday. When do you think their ownership ends??

Wasn't an issue or anything, we had our own holes as well, but were using the ones we found there also.....and apparently they were "theirs" !!l
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

Ugh, first come first served, unless their group is bigger than yours, their shoulders broader, or they are armed.

Had a similar problem in ON a couple seasons ago, only we were hand drilling our own holes. We were the only group fishing on a size-able lake and a guy thought we were too close to his shack.

He could see us from his house with Bino's and came out on his sled to tell us what he thought.

We were easily a 100' from his shack.

Some people....
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Holes...

Only courtesy prevents us from drilling beside someone's shack or their holes and once they depart, IMHO, they give up any claim to them. If a nearby group had a bunch of holes and I wanted to fish ones they weren't using, I would ask first but if I arrived before them tomorrow morning, I'd use those holes without a second thought. They certainly have no legal claim to them - it is only a courtesy thing.... but I don't carry a gun to enforce my opinions on others so discretion is the better part of stubborness, I guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Yup, when they leave the lake the holes are no longer "claimed" in my opinion as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
Yup, when they leave the lake the holes are no longer "claimed" in my opinion as well.
Tell 'em you got your foot caught in one of THEIR holes and sprained your ankle. Tell them you want their name and contact info for your lawyer. Pretty sure they will explain how hole ownership isn't retained LOL

Like earlier posters touched on... how vehmently I would tell them to get stuffed is dependent on their size and numbers. Is there any possible charge for interfereing with someone's fishing? I know there is for hunting...

Seriously, huffing and puffing aside, agree they have no right to an previous hole.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM

I would ask them them to prove it's their holes. Love to hear the response
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Tell them to suck the big one and Tell them to call F&W
Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM

take a dump in their hole in the ice and stay here you go take it back.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
i second that!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Its a respect thing, you find your own spots! it causes nothing but problems
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM

I don't know who owns the ice holes but AO has it's fair share of them
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
i second that!
X3.....

Just try to move me from a hole if you weren't there early enough....I don't care if you fished that spot every day of the season....if you leave and there is no permanent structure over the hole ....have a nice day!

LC
Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
I don't know who owns the ice holes but AO has it's fair share of them
hahaha, I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. might incriminate myself or my ice hole!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
hahaha, I wasn't gonna be the one to say it. might incriminate myself or my ice hole!
Humour. Not enough of it, so few understand it. Great pun.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 PM

like others have stated when you go home or leave the area your owning ends.. but to be safe just say k and go to your own holes ..a guy got into a arguement over shot geese on a fireing line and ended up loosing his eye after a ownership arguement..as the others guys drove away they shot a shotgun and he got hit.. not worth the risk the guy who shot was charge but it was to late right

Food for Thought
David
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Hole Pirate

i'm a hole pirate. most never stay out as late as i do. you walk/drive away at primetime and i'll be in your holes before you leave the ice. it's satisfying pulling fish out of a pirated holes that you've never seen fish come out of all day. i kick them all in when i'm done too. i'm a hole pirate. always have been.

Dace
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Caught my limit of whites from a hole. Told someone (nice guy) to try this spot/ exact hole, as he was having no luck....half hour later he has his limit.

Next day taking some good BC friends (big salmon ocean boat) out out very early. Arrive at the same spot/holes and nice guy is setting up (5 mins ahead of us) on the same holes to give two newbys some fishing fun.

Nice guy asks if we would like HIM to move. "NO. I don't own the lake or a hole in some water." I did ask if he would mind if we set up close by. He had no problems. He starts to catch, I change to his color, we limit out, then advise him what he could do to help the newbys catch and where exactly we seen the fish traveling that might improve odds.

Fishing is about sharing and making friends, not about ownership and territory and fences.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM

I would pose this question to him: If I had drilled his wife's holes before he did;are they still mine to keep fishing in?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

"I am the master of my ice-hole!!"
Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Just curious on guys thoughts about this. A few years ago we saw some guys come onto the lake and claim the holes, saying they drilled them yesterday. When do you think their ownership ends??

Wasn't an issue or anything, we had our own holes as well, but were using the ones we found there also.....and apparently they were "theirs" !!l
I have it figured out !!! if you make a hole, then after the ice is removed there is nothing. But, nobody can lay claim to nothing..........right?
Ah well it's my logic.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i'm a hole pirate. most never stay out as late as i do. you walk/drive away at primetime and i'll be in your holes before you leave the ice. it's satisfying pulling fish out of a pirated holes that you've never seen fish come out of all day. i kick them all in when i'm done too. i'm a hole pirate. always have been.

Dace
I heard rumours that you were a "hole pirate".
I didn't know that you icefished, though...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post

So what did you say to them. I am not sure what I would of said, other then laugh at their suggestion and ask him for a deed.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
I have it figured out !!! if you make a hole, then after the ice is removed there is nothing. But, nobody can lay claim to nothing..........right?
Ah well it's my logic.
You mustn't have heard what the AB govt is trying to take ownership of from albertans property.

You got it, all the empty spaces.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 PM

When I go ice fishing I drill more holes than I need because I will likely move from hole to hole during the day and I just want to get the drilling done and out of the way. So for two of us, assuming there is plenty of room on the lake so it's okay to stake more than a single hole, I might drill a dozen holes, covering a strip maybe 20' by 50' (with the long axis heading out to deeper water). We then box in that area with our vehicles, tents, equipment, gear, so that it's obvious that we are fishing there even if not using all holes at once. I consider those holes "our holes" while we are there, and we do maintain all of them throughout the day by clearing ice, etc. But once we are packing up, we are happy to have anyone come and take them over. And I would NEVER expect to go and reclaim those holes the next day.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Smokey the way it happened it was not confrontational. And it was many years ago, but it usually gets brought up on our annual trip to Keeley, as we're always jockeying for the "hot" hole.

We pulled on Goose Lake, near Loon Lake. Sk. and commenced to drill some holes, as well as fish some that were left open from the day before. After a bit, another truck pulled out and three guys got out and got their gear out. The one young guy walked around trying to get his bearings, as we had altered the landscape by drilling more holes. Then he loudly proclaimed to one of his buddies, this is your hole from yesterday John, and Bill, here's yours. He wasn't actually laying claim to them, we didn't care, as there was lots of holes and I don't think they had brought their auger with them, as they knew the holes would still be open. He could have just as easily said that they ween't moving in on our holes....we didn't give a rats azz and actually got a good laugh out of it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daceminnow View Post
i'm a hole pirate...
Dace
aarrrr!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM

How about this scenario. I found an area with lots of whitefish. I am like an earlier fisher who said he likes to drill several holes. One of the holes I drilled was about 15' from a wooden permanent ice shack which was unoccupied for the first 2 times I fished the area. On the 3rd occasion, the owner arrives, drills his holes and fishes. When he arrived I was fishing the hole closest to the shack. Normally I would not drill so close to a fisher and would expect the same from another fisher. Was I in the wrong? Further, was he in the wrong for fishing so close to me--I was there first. BEL
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM

If I'm in it, it's my hole.
If you think it's your hole you should have taken it with you when you left.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 AM

I would kindly thank him for re-opening the holes that you drilled last year.