Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Default nets in mcgregor today

See they have the commercial nets in mcgregor today. Stopped by and they were doing good on whites with very little pike or walleye bycatch. Wierd no fish cops around tho.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 PM

What part are they netting, the north next to the dam?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 AM

They cant net right up to the north end maybe 1 mile south of launch
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Big Boats

Were they fishing out of those big Grey boats I saw there the other day
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Very strange regulations...

So I can't stay after 6:30 till Nov. 30 and some people can net the fish? How does that helps the fish???
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM

The nets help the fish because they remove all those stinkin baitfish and spawn eating whitefish that are starving and displacing other gamefish such as walleye. There should be a zero limit for whites on many lakes with low angler pressure.

I hope they net it 20 times this year!

STEELHEAD
Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM

1. I don't buy that
2. This forum went through all "net or not to net" BS many, many, many times before

I was just trying to understand why did they close the lake after sunset, but allow for netting?

"There should be a zero limit for whites on many lakes with low angler pressure." ?!
Why?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 PM

They close the lake in the summer months in an attempt to stop poaching

Commercial netters arent poachers.

Google up on whitefish and walleye interactions. Lots of studies that oppose your views.

STEELHEAD
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM

again, the whitefish were stocked in Alberta reservoirs for the sole purpose of commercial fishing. make the pike fat too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post

Google up on whitefish and walleye interactions. Lots of studies that oppose your views.

STEELHEAD
You need to sober up....
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM

So why is it that the limit is a whopping 10 for whitefish and they only net whitefish?

Why such high numbers of take for that specie?

I was told by a bio that commercial fishing for whitefish will continue as anglers arent taking enough out of the systems.

Sober up!! LOL, whitefish eat everything (minnows, bugs, plankton, fry) and the huge numbers of them and the small numbers of predators just dont even out. Then, they are like perch in ponds, when the predators dont do thier job, and the whitefish numbers rise, they stunt. That was seen on Pigeon many moons ago before walleye were re-introduced. After walleye introduction on pigeon, the average size for whites grew significantly. Average size of whitefish on macgregor, 17" and under. lil bow res, and shurburn, they top out at 24 inches. A lake as big and diverse as macgregor and the average walleye is 20 inches? Dont they grow to 35 inches in most healthy waters? I see a problem.

Yah, i'm all for netting them. Blast them out! Just thin them out!

And read a few more alberta lake stories and read the graphs. Its all right there!

A link to pigeon lake where it mentions lack of predators in relation to stunting and overpopulation of whitefish. They started walleye stocking in the 90's. Thier test netting was done in 2003 to 2007 showing a 4 inch average size growth between those years and a lower population when predators came back strong.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildli...nt-Nov2008.pdf

Macgregor is labeled a collapsed fishery. Few predators, stunted overpopulated whites. Kinda like the 90's pigeon lake whites.

STEELHEAD

EDIT I added a link and more comments

Last edited by steelhead; 10-21-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by steelhead

STEELHEAD

AK-71 wrote back........You need to sober up....

can anyone tell me what I said that was wrong enough to deserve that response?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
The nets help the fish because they remove all those stinkin baitfish and spawn eating whitefish that are starving and displacing other gamefish such as walleye. There should be a zero limit for whites on many lakes with low angler pressure.

I hope they net it 20 times this year!

STEELHEAD
It was this post.

Barely coherent rant without any sentence structure.

The first sentence makes no sense, and the second contradicts the point you are trying to make. You mean no limit or unlimited harvest of whites, not a zero limit.

Aside from that, I got your point in the following post and can agree with your sentiment.

Keep in mind however that the whitefish fishery is managed for the commercial guys as well. Therein lies a conflict between anglers/sport fishers and the commercial fishers.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead

STEELHEAD

AK-71 wrote back........You need to sober up....

can anyone tell me what I said that was wrong enough to deserve that response?
Nothing. AK-47 knows nothing about whites................
Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 AM

Yer right Beeguy, That was a pretty mixed up response. I should have read it better before hittin the post button. I never looked at it a second time.

But he did call me drunk on the post he quoted. Not the one you caught me on.

Glad I made a second post. Its good it was a bit more clear.

Yes, unlimited catch on some reservoirs, like macgregor. Anglers and netters arent doing enough.

STEELHEAD

Dean, Not to pick, but you said AK-47 doesnt know anything about whitefish. You meant AK-71.
AK-47 is an excellent individual and member of this board and I have respect for him! Just had to clear that up incase there was confusion by 47.

Last edited by steelhead; 10-21-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Nothing. AK-47 knows nothing about whites................
.... AK-71?

Last edited by BeeGuy; 10-21-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM

STEELHEAD,

Non of your yesterday posts make ANY sense, THAT'S why I assumed you have being writing them impaired.
On one hand you hope they net whitefish out, on the other hand you want "There should be a zero limit for whites on many lakes with low angler pressure".

Quote:

STEELHEAD
1. So Traverse is not closed for what reason?
2. Stopping poachers is not done to just stop poachers - it is an act aimed to benefit fish. I just can't see how few people with rod and line would do more harm than netting.
Quote:
STEELHEAD
I've never started my views, and never said I am pro or against netting don't know why you stated to argue.

So sorry, but your posts from yesterday sounded aggressive to me and none of them made any sense
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Other than saying "sober up" perhaps a corrective thread like bee guy did, and you just did now, may have prevented what you feel is agressive. I dont drink, and take offence to being called drunk. All you had to do was correct me. I dont mind admitting fault. Plus i was watching South Park at the time and Eric Cartmans evil was much better than thinking about whitefish!

Anyhoooooo

To answer your queries about my cryptic comments..

Macgregor is closed in the evenings during the summer in an attempt to stop poachers. The same rules apply to Crawling Valley. Because of thier somewhat close proximity to the cities, they noticed a rise in poaching and night poaching.

Travers doesnt have those same rules as the walleye population is not collapsed as crawling and mac are. Travers is one of the best southern reservoir walleye fisheries in Alberta. Anglers only fish about 2 percent of this lake due to its size. It is also a bit farther from cities and they believe that it is less likely that poachers will travel that far. Fools!

The night fishing rules are in place to protect the walleyes. They dont care about the whitefish. If they did, there wouldnt be netting and there would be lower limits, like Pigeon. A few people with a rod and line do nothing to harm white populations.

** But if your fishing for whitefish (like your post suggests), is the night time the best time to fish for them? **
I never ever heard anyone say they were going night fishing for whites, or the night bite for whites is excellent. If your night fishing Macgregor, your fishing for walleyes or burbot. They want to protect the walleyes.

Your views were "why cant I fish for whites at night, but the netters can?, and how does this help the fish?"

They leave the nets in overnight, and fish them the next day. Big deal, they are not sportfishing, they are commercial netting. And the netting helps the fish, because they are taking all the stinking whites out of that lake. That benefits all other species with lower populations than whites. Everytime they net, it benefits the fish. And, I also added a few reasons and a link to back up my opinions. That was in regards to your " I dont buy that " comment.

This forum goes from" No nets to net them all" in regards to different lakes. They cried no nets for Pigeon as there was a population drop and the anglers and techs saw that. The lakes in the central parts are vastly different lakes than the southern reservoirs.

I'm not arguing, I'm educating. You asked why, and I offered valid points and references. You asked why again, I answered. A couple others got it quick. Even with my poor grammer and scattered thoughts.

I hope this clears things up for ya. Is it clear? I have made that mistake before.

Did I do a better job this time Beeguy?

STEELHEAD
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

Too bad it's so far from Calgary, otherwise I might fish there
Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Did I do a better job this time Beeguy?

STEELHEAD
coherent and pointed

good to see you're laying off the bottle
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM

STEELHEAD,

I am sorry for my earlier comments. I was way out of line.
Went there yesterday to find bays netted and got a bit upset, but well... it's legal, so it's OK with me.
I am hoping for first ice, and when whites are in spawn - they only bite in the evening, at least it was my experience. Last year they would start before the sunset and I could see them on a fishfinder and catch some at least till midnight. Now if there is ice before December - I would need to go home right when the bite is on... If it was not Nov. 30 but Oct. 16 (or whenever netting starts) it would make me much happier and it would be just fair.
Sorry again
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM

Alls good, No need to appologize. Good discussion and questions.

I understand your frustrations upon seeing netting happening in a collapsed lake. I felt the same way at one time also. In some instances there are valaid reasons and some, not so much.

And I have to agree with the dates that you mention for the evening closure. October 1 would be a way better opening date than dec 1. And it would benefit the anglers wishing to get the stacked whites.

Unfortunately, they would rather spend the few bucks to print a new rule than hire more enforcement to protect this lake and CV. Which is a bloody shame and another button to push for many here.

Untill the richest province in Canada (but by other provinces standards, the poorest) bucks up a few more nickles to protect our resources, we have to deal with these lame rules that do nothing!

And you bet the evening closure on this lake, does nothing! Absolutely squat! Diddly! The lake is huge. A rule in paper doesnt patrol a 37 km long lake with more than 12 access points. I have called in waaaay too many times about night anglers. They know where to hide. They are laughing all the way to Brooks! Thats where most of them come from.

STEELHEAD
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 PM

I think one of the only lakes where angling pressure has actually affected the Whitefish population is Gull( IMO one of the most heavily icefished lakes in AB), which is why they dropped the limit to 3, and since the population has gone down i have seen alot more walleye, and more, and larger pike coming out of it. Definately have to keep the white numbers in check in alot of lakes in AB, commercial and native netting has been going on for along time on alot of lakes, and i still catch lots, so no worries here!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM

I think one of the only lakes where angling pressure has actually affected the Whitefish population is Gull( IMO one of the most heavily icefished lakes in AB), which is why they dropped the limit to 3, and since the population has gone down i have seen alot more walleye, and more, and larger pike coming out of it. Definately have to keep the white numbers in check in alot of lakes in AB, commercial and native netting has been going on for along time on alot of lakes, and i still catch lots, so no worries here!

Last edited by tight line; 10-21-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

You can say that again!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Lol, i phone screwin me around...
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Badger down here is the opposite.

Pike are the only predator in this lake and the whites are stunted to 15-17 inches, and there is billions of them! This summer, a buddy and I caught, no joke, over a hundred in 3 hours, and this was on large shiners and a jig! Only one went to 19". We kept none.

Come on down and grab some for Gull. Lots here!

STEELHEAD
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Badger down here is the opposite.

Pike are the only predator in this lake and the whites are stunted to 15-17 inches, and there is billions of them! This summer, a buddy and I caught, no joke, over a hundred in 3 hours, and this was on large shiners and a jig! Only one went to 19". We kept none.

Come on down and grab some for Gull. Lots here!

STEELHEAD
Ya that seems to be the size when they havent got their shoulders yet... Too bad,,... ive also noticed since the white numbers went down in Gull the size increased, we got a couple over four, one almost 5, the last few years, and a old boy said he got one that was 6. Now those are good keeper size! Still a far cry from the Jumbos in some lakes... You look what some people get out of Battle and wish every lake had whites like that...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM

IMO i seem to find lakes like macgregor travers and such have such high populations of whitesfish which is great cause i love them but find them hard to catch sometimes. no matter what i use sometimes they are so finiky but find in sylvan or gull the whites up there are much easier to catch and find them very aggressive.