Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Banned

Default Black mud/mactaggart sanctuary

I may sound like a fool by posting this but it's worth a try I read a while back on this forum of a fellow fly fishing the black mud creek for white suckers and chub on small nymph patterns

Now is this true?
Are there fish in this creek or is the blackmud just a crappy slew running through the river valley

I had one fellow on here who was really helpful saying it may be worth a try for white suckers but I would like to hear a few other opinions from the locals on here

I think that would be pretty neat if it was a fishable creek for white sucker, and chub possibly fun on a 3 weight and small nymphs?

Again any help is much appreciated
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 AM

There's really only one way to know for sure ........ give it a try and have a walk ... see what's in there.

Dirty stinking suckers will slither up the most disgusting slews and live in some pretty nasty holes around the rivers ..... I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd start closer to the river and work up from there.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 AM

I've canoed the creek quite a few times there is a fairly deep hole between 23 ave and snow valley over 5 feet deep its a 90 degree dog leg too much debris in hole to effectively bait fish it when the water was high. If I remember correctly there is a beaver lodge there too.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 AM

they stack up infront of the beaver dams early in the spring. I have seen them try and jump over the dams like salmon. I dont know where they go in the summer. These beaver dams are a LONG way from the river proper.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

So none of you guys know if there's fish in there, or you have seen them in spring?
Old 07-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Banned

There was a fellow on here grey Lynx and Uplander who mentioned a while ago fishing it with nymphs I believe just wanted to see if it's worth a try now (this was years ago, lots changes)