Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Gee, I sure hope that someone quotes all of those graphs again....
Right? Once is fine but then three guys quote it just to cut it down. Scroll on.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
While we are all waiting to see, maybe try and have a little respect for different opinions and other members that might just be here for info.
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Is this thread about what you would rather see? Is your opinion the only valid point? If it bothers you that I’m not in a panic then there is some function on the forum that will allow you not to hear my opinion.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Andrew, as a man who seems to have a fair share of common sense and fair amount of acquaintances, are you seriously worried about running out of toilet paper if you get quarantined? I can say with 100% confidence that if you were quarantined and ran out of toilet paper, within a half hour of you posting on AO that you ran out, one of our fine members would be on your doorstep with a brick of rolls. MSM obviously has people paranoid to the point they aren’t thinking rationally.

I think rational people understand this is a virus with an extremely rapid transmission rate, they think the odds of contracting the virus is high, they think they’ll get sick and they have the common sense to realize their chance of dying from it. They won’t purposely try to contract it, they will take all measures possible not to transmit it to others, and life will go on.

I’ll be honest though, with the world financial situation, the paranoia, and the fear of the unknown, it seems the virus itself is the last thing to worry about.
I have no concerns as I always have enough food and toilet paper for a few months. Two things I wouldn’t want to run out of. As for the rest of the population. Do they not keep extra food and supplies on hand? Wondering if that could be causing some of the panic as I don’t see anyone panicking over the actual virus on any of my media fees.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Are you a pilot for WestJet? Serious question. Maybe my info is incorrect. Indirect info from a good friend. But my friend has worked for Westjet for almost 15 years, flying their largest planes, and that is what he told me today. There are also talks of shutting down commercial flights Canada wide, not just Westjet. Getting so tired of getting sucked back into this. Don't know why I even bother sometimes. I just find it important. Hopefully some get something, out of some of what I have to contribute to the discussion is the only reason I keep coming back.
Sat beside my coworker at work while he was talking with his brother who flies for WestJet in Toronto
Old 03-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I have no concerns as I always have enough food and toilet paper for a few months. Two things I wouldn’t want to run out of. As for the rest of the population. Do they not keep extra food and supplies on hand? Wondering if that could be causing some of the panic as I don’t see anyone panicking over the actual virus on any of my media fees.
Of all things to worry about, can you explain why people are getting into physical confrontations over toilet paper when during a real crisis what you need to worry about is food, shelter, and clothing? Oh, and bullets. Why is toilet paper the one thing causing physical confrontations? Because of fear mongering from social media! Rational people worry about survival, not wiping their ass.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Of all things to worry about, can you explain why people are getting into physical confrontations over toilet paper when during a real crisis what you need to worry about is food, shelter, and clothing? Oh, and bullets. Why is toilet paper the one thing causing physical confrontations? Because of fear mongering from social media! Rational people worry about survival, not wiping their ass.
Because everyone has an over abundance of food, shelter and clothing. And all of us on here bullets as well. There are stupid people everywhere. I haven’t seen one confrontation so that’s the exception not the norm. Create scarcity and everyone immediately stockpiles. Looks like food is flying off the shelves now. As soon as everyone sees a line they figure they are missing out.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Because everyone has an over abundance of food, shelter and clothing. And all of us on here bullets as well. There are stupid people everywhere. I haven’t seen one confrontation so that’s the exception not the norm. Create scarcity and everyone immediately stockpiles. Looks like food is flying off the shelves now. As soon as everyone sees a line they figure they are missing out.

I don’t doubt that most here on AO are well stocked in the way of food, and I doubt you’ll find us in a scrap over charman, but we as a group are the exception not the norm. I believe outdoorsmen are more prepared than other groups. I’ve got over 30gal of gas, a generator, enough rice and pasta to last several months, maybe over a year, I’ve got a freezer full of moose and deer, a couple smokers, and enough ammo to keep my family fed and protected for many years.

Why is there a scarcity? Why are otherwise rational people stockpiling of all things toilet paper? It’s 100% fear mongering on the internet. Fear mongering does nobody any good. I never said being prepared is a bad idea, I never said taking logical precautions was a bad idea, but posting stats that are cherry picked to show the worst case scenario doesn’t do any good. I’ve been stressing to keep things in perspective, panic leads to chaos.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Banned

Can you guys quit chatting. We need more charts posted ASAP!

Charts, spread sheets and graphs. The more posted the quicker this situation will get fixed!
Old 03-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Why is there a scarcity? Why are otherwise rational people stockpiling of all things toilet paper? It’s 100% fear mongering on the internet. Fear mongering does nobody any good. I never said being prepared is a bad idea, I never said taking logical precautions was a bad idea, but posting stats that are cherry picked to show the worst case scenario doesn’t do any good. I’ve been stressing to keep things in perspective, panic leads to chaos.
Maybe, someone has been telling these people that this will turn into nothing, they have nothing to worry about, this is just the flu, this will be forgot about in a few weeks ect, in turn those people might have believed that and not bought anything...
Fast forward, its obvious this won't just go away but now, these people have no idea what to stock up on and are thinking that maybe they should have put something back last month instead of listening to the 'nothing to see here folks'. They see other people buying TP, since they have no idea what else to get they just follow the herd...

I'm not sure how everyone became so worried about TP but that's my theory.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Just gonna leave this here https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...avirus-patient
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-13-2020, 03:58 PM

Priceless! https://youtu.be/gzm1XSnT-oI
Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
But the graphs..
Old 03-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The last Q and A is pretty much exactly in line with what I’ve been saying.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:29 PM

I’m waiting for charts and graphs showing the reported downward trend of cases in China.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I got you! don’t you worry!

Last edited by sns2; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
The last Q and A is pretty much exactly in line with what I’ve been saying.
The Q and A was interesting....Talk about being behind

"A: The county only had 20 coronavirus tests for the whole county. That patient already had a confirmed infection and was not a priority for using them. "
Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Just a heads up for any of you that have relatives travelling outside of Canada. The Alberta retired teachers insurance plan which the retired teachers pay into each month has just cancelled coverage for anyone on their plan travelling outside of Canada for Covid -19. This is effective today March 13. I imagine other plans will follow as this is the result of Canada issuing an non travel advisory.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
The Q and A was interesting....Talk about being behind

"A: The county only had 20 coronavirus tests for the whole county. That patient already had a confirmed infection and was not a priority for using them. "
Again, that was on February 26, the article was published today. It helps give a better understanding of why the mortality rate has dropped dramatically in the states though. The virus isn’t getting better, there are just more people getting tested. It’s easy to count how many people die but now that they are able to diagnose more people it gives a better idea of what we are looking at in terms of a real mortality rate. I still trust Canadian stats more than any other.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-13-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Just a heads up for any of you that have relatives travelling outside of Canada. The Alberta retired teachers insurance plan which the retired teachers pay into each month has just cancelled coverage for anyone on their plan travelling outside of Canada for Covid -19. This is effective today March 13. I imagine other plans will follow as this is the result of Canada issuing an non travel advisory.
I was wondering when this would happen. Why in the world would insurance pay for someone that went traveling at this state ?????
Old 03-13-2020, 04:57 PM

To those that think Canada is doing a bad job....

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/13...esting-can-be/
Old 03-13-2020, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Come on man! Charts, graphs, spread sheets and “running the numbers” is going to fix this problem soon!
Old 03-13-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
They are earning their bandwidth!
https://www.worldometers.info/#flu

96,732Seasonal flu deaths this year
Quick facts:
Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.
Sources and info:

Seasonal flu death estimate increases worldwide - CDC
Up to 650 000 people die of respiratory diseases linked to seasonal flu each year - World Health Organization (WHO)

Wow. Didn’t realize the regular influenza that is out there can kill up to 650,000 people every year.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-13-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Come on man! Charts, graphs, spread sheets and “running the numbers” is going to fix this problem soon!
Looks like hes contributing more to the thread, unlike some people, whose only contribution is snide comments
Old 03-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I was wondering when this would happen. Why in the world would insurance pay for someone that went traveling at this state ?????
I have some relatives who have been out of country for three weeks and left before there was a problem. There was a problem but we were not made aware of it fast enough
Seems to me we are in uncharted waters
Old 03-13-2020, 05:10 PM

Most of us may get the virus as long as it's not all at once. If there are 10000 cases and 10 percent need hospitalization then it's still borderline manageable. If it 100000 then it's a problem.

In the meantime find a friend with an Amazon Prime membership. I sent 36 rolls of toilet paper to my in laws in the US as the shelves were bare there. The stuff arrived at the door two days later.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I read it wrong they have ten days after today to get home
Old 03-13-2020, 05:18 PM

Old 03-13-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Again, that was on February 26, the article was published today. It helps give a better understanding of why the mortality rate has dropped dramatically in the states though. The virus isn’t getting better, there are just more people getting tested. It’s easy to count how many people die but now that they are able to diagnose more people it gives a better idea of what we are looking at in terms of a real mortality rate. I still trust Canadian stats more than any other.
Sorry I didn't mean the article, I meant the testing cluster **** that the US has on it's hands. They are so far behind they think they're ahead.....it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Most of us may get the virus as long as it's not all at once. If there are 10000 cases and 10 percent need hospitalization then it's still borderline manageable. If it 100000 then it's a problem.

In the meantime find a friend with an Amazon Prime membership. I sent 36 rolls of toilet paper to my in laws in the US as the shelves were bare there. The stuff arrived at the door two days later.
The healthcare system has had several scares since SARS in 2004. SARS was worse in many ways. So there should be little in the way of unexpected issues with Covid-19.

Except for people stealing TP paper from the facilities. Who could anticipate that?

Last edited by KinAlberta; 03-13-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean the article, I meant the testing cluster **** that the US has on it's hands. They are so far behind they think they're ahead.....it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
One expert said testing is a problem. Positive tests in other countries were a small subset. Said the point of testing is past. It is in the community. Only ones really needing testing are those with serious complications to diagnose the cause of the symptoms as it could be common flu or Covid19 or other reasons.

Hospitals right now are in seasonal flu cycle and are busy with flu complications. Ventilators are a key tool for both as well as surgeries etc...

Just hope people self isolate and stay away from others unless they have serious symptoms.

Saw Justin today talking about Sophie catching it in the UK and bringing it back. He said he is self isolating and Sophie quarantine. However he would not say he and Sophie are apart which confused the journalists as his 14 day self quarantine doesn’t start until after he is apart from the infected Sophie or starts 14 days after she is healthy and over it and tests negative.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin