Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Default Roadway line paint question

Where can a fella buy the high end paint for painting road lines and it is uber expensive? Is there a line roller one could buy?

I have a hobby of making open flat land walking mazes using 16-24 inch paths.

I have a canvas I want to paint a maze on however I can't make up my mind on what paint to use.

It has to be durable to foot traffic and freeze thaw due to being painted on concrete.

It a perfect world it would be great to have a way to remove a 24 inch line from time to time should I wish to change the path and solution. Refresh the path.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM

I would try a supplier such as Northland Construction Supplies. They do a lot of concrete tools and materials supply and I would imagine might carry something like that. That or Calgary Fasteners & Tools.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Contact a HWY paving contractor (Ledcor/EConstruction/Border Paving/Carmacks/Wapiti Gravel Suppliers)...they hire the line painters, they can probably help you out with contact info.

Lafrentz is a hwy line painting contractor, I think ACP does it.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM

Many places use Carboline 890 in white or safety yellow to do their parking stalls. This comes in 2 or 10 gallon kits. There is also Stoncor's GS5 in safety red or yellow. There is a rep out of Calgary who should have some. I cant remember his name off hand right now. Cloverdale also sell road paint at their industrial locations.

If you really want permanent there is a product similar to a roof shingle you melt onto the pavement with a tiger torch. This is reflective and usually used for cross walks. If the area is cleared with a snow plow you must gouge the pavement to set the product below the surface or it will get scrapped off.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks y'all.

Good start.

Don't want the tiger torch option...although sounds like fun.

Goal is a cool maze for kids and adults to run on for years to come.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-24-2018, 02:27 PM

We bought the paint and the line roller from greggs for work not sure on the price pop your sprAy can in it and giver lol
Old 04-24-2018, 02:42 PM

We use “line marking paint” (aerosol) to paint our Cease Fire lines on concrete at the Range ... purchased from Home Hardware. Can be free handed or used in a “trolley”. I think it is similar to the same used for highway lines...dries quick. Gets a fair amount of foot traffic and shovel abrasion when rem0ving snow.
Have tried “roll ons” which did not stand up.
Can be removed with a wire brush. Or a rotary nylon brush with patience.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:04 PM

I've purchased the roll on kits (paint and roller) to do warehouse, loading dock and manufacturing floors from Acklands Grainger.

Holds up to inside and outside constant traffic on smooth and rough concrete surfaces. There's smooth and the anti-slip gritty kind. Comes in Yellow, White, Grey etc..

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/.../RLMAS9144-425

Not cheap though.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM

cloverdale sells traffic paint by the one gallon or 5 gallon pail
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
We use “line marking paint” (aerosol) to paint our Cease Fire lines on concrete at the Range ... purchased from Home Hardware. Can be free handed or used in a “trolley”. I think it is similar to the same used for highway lines...dries quick. Gets a fair amount of foot traffic and shovel abrasion when rem0ving snow.
Have tried “roll ons” which did not stand up.
Can be removed with a wire brush. Or a rotary nylon brush with patience.
Don't think spray paint would work. Would need a ton of cans. I like the removal and durability comments.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manion1 View Post
cloverdale sells traffic paint by the one gallon or 5 gallon pail
Good to know. Thanks.

I suspect one need to pressure wash the concrete first?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:47 PM

W.R. Meadows in St Albert. A buddy of mine uses their traffic paint to do lines in parking lots.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM

Spray paint style works fine we did the hole shop and yard with the stuff and it does not come off.I can lend you the line painter and a can of paint if you want to give it a try we have cases of the stuff at work