Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
If you get your news from CNN/CBC you are very likely misinformed.
The NRA does not promote "unfettered access" to guns, and they opposed poor legislation as is their purpose in being.
You might want to read some real facts concerning their policies if you want to rail on about how "bad" they are. Here is a good start: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...gun-rights-too

If you think others are off the mark when condemning uneducated, arrogant and ignorant anti's then you might at least spend some time looking at real facts.

The Hill is a good news source. But they are clear when articles are opinion, as yours is.

It was written by:
"Chris W. Cox is the executive director for the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action.

The views expressed by contributors are their own and are not the views of The Hill."
as indicated at the bottom of that article.

You may want to fact check Cox's utterances. I did... here. https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/nr...lse-gun-claim/
Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I know exactly how and what I feel and if I'm an anti why do I own 4 shotguns, 2 x .22 cal, 2 x .17 HMr, and 6 centre fire rifles up to .35 whelen. Just because I don't support people who want to play GI Joe doesn't mean I'm anti.

And I'm not attacking AR-15 owners at all. Just the paranoia thats exhibited
each time one of these black guns gets banned or threatened
. Is that taking away someones right to hunt or ability to own hunting firearms? Not from my perspective it isn't. When that gets threatened I'll react. Until then I could care less.
There we have it.

"Each time"

There is a pattern. You are too short sighted to see it.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Does anyone have need of an AR15? Soldier boy complex or what?

Just because you think YOU should be able to own one doesn't mean I should have to stand up for your right to own one. Does that make me an anti? Nope. If I was an anti I wouldn't own more guns than you. I'm all for guns. Just not ALL of them.
Quote:
I know exactly how and what I feel and if I'm an anti why do I own 4 shotguns, 2 x .22 cal, 2 x .17 HMr, and 6 centre fire rifles up to .35 whelen. Just because I don't support people who want to play GI Joe doesn't mean I'm anti.

And I'm not attacking AR-15 owners at all. Just the paranoia thats exhibited
each time one of these black guns gets banned or threatened. Is that taking away someones right to hunt or ability to own hunting firearms? Not from my perspective it isn't. When that gets threatened I'll react. Until then I could care less.
You're not attacking AR-15 owners at all? Maybe you should read your ignorant comments above. Typical Fudd comments, I wont fight unless my hunting guns are at risk. . Then call AR-15 owners names, ya, that's not attacking AR-15 rifle owners at all

Quote:
If I was an anti I wouldn't own more guns than you.
Quote:
why do I own 4 shotguns, 2 x .22 cal, 2 x .17 HMr, and 6 centre fire rifles up to .35 whelen.
Ooooooh, Ahhhhhhhhh... You own soooo many guns

Guys like you had better decide which side you are on. One day they will be coming for your measly few hunting guns too. If you don't think it will happen, keep living in fantasy land.

Last edited by crazy_davey; 04-23-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
The gun grabbers don't just want black guns. They want them all, including your "hunting firearms", whatever that term means.

Show some solidarity or we all lose.
Someone who actually understands what is happening.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So should switch blades, tasers, throwing stars and other ninja weapons be legal in Canada?

Be careful calling anyone who disagrees with you an anti. It doesn't continue the conversation on a positive and constructive direction.

I see lots of people including hunters that see no need for personal machine gun ownership in Canada.

Are they antis?
Yup, anti one aspect of guns, or knives then you divide a group and that is how they break down and feed on each other just like a cancer....a slight stir and then watch the pot erupt. Nothing good comes out of it at all for the group that wants to keep something be it a single shot rifle or a full auto rifle.
You can't be a restricted anti in the mindset of the group that wants all or nothing...they will keep picking at the scab...
Our problem is with the way we deal with unlawful acts, too lenient...just look at the Toronto killing of people with a van...do we rally up and take away a certain type of vehicle
Deal with the issue....the wanker behind the wheel....he got his 24hrs....now out comes the rope.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

Ooooooh, Ahhhhhhhhh... You own soooo many guns

Guys like you had better decide which side you are on. One day they will be coming for your measly few hunting guns too. If you don't think it will happen, keep living in fantasy land.

I own enough to keep me more than happy and I'm not worried one lick about them coming for them. If I was worried I'd just be buying into NRA paranoia that one day some big bad man will come for my bolt action hunting rifles because "if they ban one they'll ban them all."

I'm more worried about diminishing wildlife numbers and the ever tightening regulations that make pursuing it more difficult than I am about some "peripheral" firearms being banned and some feelings getting hurt.

Seems like a first world problem to me.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
I own enough to keep me more than happy and I'm not worried one lick about them coming for them. If I was worried I'd just be buying into NRA paranoia that one day some big bad man will come for my bolt action hunting rifles because "if they ban one they'll ban them all."

I'm more worried about diminishing wildlife numbers and the ever tightening regulations that make pursuing it more difficult than I am about some "peripheral" firearms being banned and some feelings getting hurt.

Seems like a first world problem to me.
Again, you show your true colours.

You literally do not care about AR-15 owners and sport shooters.

Some people own firearms for target practice and don't hunt.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Again, you show your true colours.

You literally do not care about AR-15 owners and sport shooters.

Some people own firearms for target practice and don't hunt.

You got the bolded part right anyways. Good on ya.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
There we have it.

"Each time"

There is a pattern. You are too short sighted to see it.

The only pattern is not being paranoid about "all" guns being confiscated. At the pinnacle of stupidity, the long gun registry, I can't for the life of me remember there being talk of all rifles being taken away and hunting being banned.

You worry too much.

"They just banned funny cars on city streets. Next they'll be coming for my half ton. Rise up everyone."
Old 04-24-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Weak!

I won't defend everything the NRA does because I disagree with it in a few ways, but this whole ongoing active shooter fiasco could be greatly curbed in a few ways that no one is willing to consider, such as securing school entrances and having armed guards (like Israel does), and actually making sure existing background checks do have access to all criminal or mental information and aren't blocked by civil liberties lobbying. There are other approaches to mental health consistently ignored in the US and that have mattered in many shooting instances.

I don't think every 18yo should have any gun that exists, but neither do I agree with letting gov creep in their own regulations without a strong freedom lobby standing behind law-abiding gun-owners. As we see in every other country and instance, laws would creep in, banning every item ever blamed for a crime until we were as hemmed in and prohibited as London.

Also, US crime has consistently gone down for decades, and despite the showy nature of mass shootings, you're as safe in most places in the US as in any other developed country. If you're not in a gang and not in the habit of walking alone like a fool in certain areas of certain cities at night in the US, you're perfectly safe.

Anyways, as usual, none of the extreme positions are entirely right, as usual, and reason probably lies somewhere in the middle.
Between 150,000 and 200,000 schools in the US. Assume you pay a guard $40,000 US a year on average. You need two per school that comes to $16 billion a year in guard salary.

True crime has fallen.

I also want the statistics removing criminal on criminal violence. Most people fear a random attack however most violent crime is known to the person.

Drug dealers killing drug dealers does not bother your average person.

Just based upon statistics as they are Canadian's are way safer...less murders than the US. 4.88 / 100,000 in the US and 1.68 /100,000 in Canada. Is it an artifact of the different societies or liberal gun laws in the US?

Most gun violence in the US tracks socio-economic indicators. Poorer the area the more gun crime. It has nothing to do with carry laws etc. Poorer the area...the more crime.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
You got the bolded part right anyways. Good on ya.
Quote:
The only pattern is not being paranoid about "all" guns being confiscated. At the pinnacle of stupidity, the long gun registry, I can't for the life of me remember there being talk of all rifles being taken away and hunting being banned.

You worry too much.

"They just banned funny cars on city streets. Next they'll be coming for my half ton. Rise up everyone."
I rest my case.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:

You worry too much.

You really are living in wonderland. Places like England are now in the process of banning all knife carry because knife crime has increased. Canada Customs is refusing entry to all knives that can be opened as thumb assist on the pretext that Knife crime has increased in Canada. Which isn't true, just like gun violence is down, not up)..

Based on vehicle attacks, with what are registered items, there is a push to remove large vans and trucks from rental fleets available to the general public.

No one type of gun is inherently more dangerous to the public than an another. The existence of untreated mental disorders, poverty, gangs and illegal drugs are the issue. Mexico has some of the toughest gun laws in the world and probably the highest gun violence numbers in the world. Only law abiding citizens don't have guns in Mexico.

If you can't see the pattern of creeping control that governments whole heatedly participate in, even in the face of countervailing legislation, then you really don'y understand the aims of modern Government.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-24-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Between 150,000 and 200,000 schools in the US. Assume you pay a guard $40,000 US a year on average. You need two per school that comes to $16 billion a year in guard salary.

True crime has fallen.

I also want the statistics removing criminal on criminal violence. Most people fear a random attack however most violent crime is known to the person.

Drug dealers killing drug dealers does not bother your average person.

Just based upon statistics as they are Canadian's are way safer...less murders than the US. 4.88 / 100,000 in the US and 1.68 /100,000 in Canada. Is it an artifact of the different societies or liberal gun laws in the US?

Most gun violence in the US tracks socio-economic indicators. Poorer the area the more gun crime. It has nothing to do with carry laws etc. Poorer the area...the more crime.
As to the cost, I realize we often think in the hardest of numbers, but there are many ways to make it work. For one thing, the US spends that much on so many things. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to spend about that on school guards. Secondly, what about the military? There are many military personnel that need jobs. This would require some common sense, which often is lacking in politics. I can just see it, one side calls to use the entire military, the other argues it's a monstrous idea, what about PTSD, etc.

There are under 100k schools in the US, elementary and secondary. If two guards per school paid $50k/yr, that's $10b. Very doable. Also, what about pairing one guard with one or two soldiers?

The gang violence thing came from the CDC in 2011, as I recall. A quick search gives me this PDF, but Idk what page. It was something like 11k gun homicides that year, and nearly 9k of that was gang-related violence. So under 3k homicides by firearms in a country of about 300 million.

I definitely agree that most violence follows socioeconomic indicators. The US has always had more violence, including gun violence, than many other first-world countries, if you'll excuse the term. But through various approaches that crime rate has been steadily dropping over decades. The US is not a blood soaked country, despite the common appearance in media.

If politics and power-grabbing were left out of this, and the country took a common sense approach to all aspects of violence, with decent approaches just to things like mental health and proper background checks, I'll bet this problem would just about vanish. It could go a tiny bit further in some specific ways, IMHO, and almost completely eliminate all mass shootings (which statistically are not a big threat), but this is enough dreaming here.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Ugh. Common sense ^. Gets in the way of the agenda every time.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post

Show some solidarity or we all lose.
Just a thought here .... and bear with me ...

Why is it that NRA supporters DEMAND solidarity yet the NRA won't even consider, for one second, sensible legislation like pre-screening checks to try and stop the mentally ill, criminally dangerous or high security risk people from obtaining a firearm?

Doesn't that seem Hypocritical?

Should WE gun owners and advocates DEMAND the NRA listen to us so we can help prevent murders happening that cause all the press to join against us all?

Is the NRA's absolutist hard line stance making me a better friend of theirs or is it making me less willing to support them?

How does the NRA's same hard line position effect those neutral people (likely the majority of the voters out there) who would see some improvement to the legislation a move in the right direction?

Could being sensible and pragmatic as an association (NRA) potentially pacify the majority and perhaps take the pressure off?

Or is taking an absolutist hard line working well for them now?

Maybe it's time for the NRA to wake up and give this perspective some serious consideration.

Maybe the NRA should support Sensible and Pragmatic gun advocates and gun owners instead of them doing us more harm than good.

Last edited by EZM; 04-24-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Oh and before you call me an anti - maybe think about the fact that my family and I own black guns, and have raised money to do tons of education for gun safety, gun advocacy, etc...

My late father, was founder of the club, donated the land to the society where the range still sits today, and donated the land where the Sportsmen still have their camp.

So check your "anti" comments at the door and at least respectfully consider my perspective as I have yours.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
The Hill is a good news source. But they are clear when articles are opinion, as yours is.

It was written by:
"Chris W. Cox is the executive director for the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action.

The views expressed by contributors are their own and are not the views of The Hill."
as indicated at the bottom of that article.

You may want to fact check Cox's utterances. I did... here. https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/nr...lse-gun-claim/

Well here is the CBC then :http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-...rule-1.4538963

Spokesmen often distort the truth to make rhetorical arguments. However the fact remains that bad law is bad law and should be opposed. That does not make the NRA incompetent, unfeeling or bad.
This reminds me of all the nonsense the press spouted about the NRA opposing restrictions on those who where named on the no fly lists. If you are on the no fly list you must be a terrorist, right? Then the day after the CBC made this point in one of their news stories, they ran a piece about an 8 year old boy in Toronto who could not fly because he shared the name of someone on the no fly list and how his family could not get him off the list. I doubt anyone in the CBC noticed the irony.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Just a thought here .... and bear with me ...

Why is it that NRA supporters DEMAND solidarity yet the NRA won't even consider, for one second, sensible legislation like pre-screening checks to try and stop the mentally ill, criminally dangerous or high security risk people from obtaining a firearm?

Doesn't that seem Hypocritical?

Should WE gun owners and advocates DEMAND the NRA listen to us so we can help prevent murders happening that cause all the press to join against us all?

Is the NRA's absolutist hard line stance making me a better friend of theirs or is it making me less willing to support them?

How does the NRA's same hard line position effect those neutral people (likely the majority of the voters out there) who would see some improvement to the legislation a move in the right direction?

Could being sensible and pragmatic as an association (NRA) potentially pacify the majority and perhaps take the pressure off?

Or is taking an absolutist hard line working well for them now?

Maybe it's time for the NRA to wake up and give this perspective some serious consideration.

Maybe the NRA should support Sensible and Pragmatic gun advocates and gun owners instead of them doing us more harm than good.
Maybe those DEMANDING certain actions from the NRA don't know what they are talking about?
Have you actually researched any of your "obvious" solutions? Too many people think that they know what works, because. Far too many useless laws are the result of people "knowing" what works rather than researching what actually works.
Quite a few of the past mass shootings resulted because agencies ignore existing law, or fail to comply with it. If a mass shooter announces his intention for years, commits assault, makes death threats and is ignored, does that mean gun laws are lax, or is there a problem with enforcement?
If a mass shooter should be barred from possessing firearms, but his records are not forwarded to the FBI, do we have a problem with gun laws or enforcement?
It's easy to call the NRA names if you don't know the details of the issues being discussed, but they are not extremist, they are informed.

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts...d-checks-nics/
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Umm....
I was talking about buying a $400 cooler from Yeti.
That ,if that is what I want, who or who they don’t support, has no bearing on me as a consumer.

WTF are you talking about?
I will tell you what I am talking about......read your post below.

Last i checked as a consumer, I could take what money the government left me with and buy whatever the hell I want.

.....and then take a english lesson on reading comprehension and writing.

Its pretty simple......NO YOU CANNOT BUY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT!

And is that how you talk to others in person using WTF????....
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You really are living in wonderland. Places like England are now in the process of banning all knife carry because knife crime has increased. Canada Customs is refusing entry to all knives that can be opened as thumb assist on the pretext that Knife crime has increased in Canada. Which isn't true, just like gun violence is down, not up)..

Based on vehicle attacks, with what are registered items, there is a push to remove large vans and trucks from rental fleets available to the general public.

No one type of gun is inherently more dangerous to the public than an another. The existence of untreated mental disorders, poverty, gangs and illegal drugs are the issue. Mexico has some of the toughest gun laws in the world and probably the highest gun violence numbers in the world. Only law abiding citizens don't have guns in Mexico.

If you can't see the pattern of creeping control that governments whole heatedly participate in, even in the face of countervailing legislation, then you really don'y understand the aims of modern Government.
This!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
...I'm more worried about diminishing wildlife numbers and the ever tightening regulations that make pursuing it more difficult than I am about some "peripheral" firearms being banned and some feelings getting hurt.
And yet you see no correlation or corroboration between the same groups working together to eventually further restrict your hunting by other means.... such as reduced gun ownership (aka political clout) increasing the every tightening regulations to become a gun owner, the ever tightening rules on what is owned to the point were there are fewer and fewer gun owners....and therefore hunters.....to the point they can boldly eliminate more and more areas without fear of the political fallout.

And therefore easier to further tighten the hunting regulations and areas....(.ie the castle park and the new chateaus which will cause the hikers to scream bloody murder the moment they see a hunter with a gun)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
I will tell you what I am talking about......read your post below.

Last i checked as a consumer, I could take what money the government left me with and buy whatever the hell I want.

.....and then take a english lesson on reading comprehension and writing.

Its pretty simple......NO YOU CANNOT BUY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT!

And is that how you talk to others in person ????....
I don’t know where you shop but everything I want I get

My point is If I listen to every idiot that gets upset because this company or that makes a decision that someone with their tighties in a knot gets upset over
I may never buy anything again .
Makes absolutely no difference to me one way or another
If I want a yeti cooler today doesn’t matter what the company did yesterday or will do tomorrow
I don’t care
Boycott this boycott that
Sheesh
Like I said more companies in bed with nefarious characters than you’ll ever know .
Most things made in China are made in sweat shops and by people, possibly children , for very little income and in horrid conditions
Yet I and you and everyone else buys these products anyways.

Yeti doesn’t want to support the NRA ?
Meh l
No sweat from me as a consumer .

My writing or grammar is not of your concern . Thanks though
And seeing as how swear words are banned from this site I shortened what I wanted to say to WTF.
If you are unfamiliar with what that means Google is your friend .

Feel free to put me on your ignore list
I just don't care

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-25-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I don’t know where you shop but everything I want I get

My point is If I listen to every idiot that gets upset because this company or that makes a decision that someone with their tighties in a knot gets upset over
I may never buy anything again .
Makes absolutely no difference to me one way or another
If I want a yeti cooler today doesn’t matter what the company did yesterday or will do tomorrow
I don’t care
Boycott this boycott that
Sheesh
Like I said more companies in bed with nefarious characters than you’ll ever know .
Most things made in China are made in sweat shops and by people, possibly children , for very little income and in horrid conditions
Yet I and you and everyone else buys these products anyways.

Yeti doesn’t want to support the NRA ?
Meh l
No sweat from me as a consumer .

My writing or grammar is not of your concern . Thanks though
And seeing as how swear words are banned from this site I shortened what I wanted to say to WTF.
If you are unfamiliar with what that means Google is your friend .

Feel free to put me on your ignore list
I just care.
That went over your head twice now.
I know exactly what the abbreviation stands for....and it has gotten poster in trouble for using it .
I would never put you on my ignore list......that would give you too much credence.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-25-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
And yet you see no correlation or corroboration between the same groups working together to eventually further restrict your hunting by other means.... such as reduced gun ownership (aka political clout) increasing the every tightening regulations to become a gun owner, the ever tightening rules on what is owned to the point were there are fewer and fewer gun owners....and therefore hunters.....to the point they can boldly eliminate more and more areas without fear of the political fallout.

And therefore easier to further tighten the hunting regulations and areas....(.ie the castle park and the new chateaus which will cause the hikers to scream bloody murder the moment they see a hunter with a gun)
This ^^^^^
Old 04-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yup. This all day.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Why would you make the aforementioned accusations without being willing to provide justification for doing so?
Because it's a lot easier for Diamond K to throw a line out there and 'bow out', that it is to lose an argument and be humiliated. That's the downside of arguing thru a keyboard with someone like that. I don't pay much time to folks who throw a line out there and 'bow out'.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Just curious why someone would drop $400 on a cooler? Puts me in mind of the Cabelas/Bass Pro groupies who spend a mint and eat tag soup every year while the guy who outfits himself at Canadian Tire or Walmart goes home with the wall hangers?

Is it a status thing? "here have a beer out of my $400 cooler" I'm sure it tastes much better than that beer you just pulled out of your old Coleman".
bang on! I'm with you on that one, these guys that jumped on the 'yeti' bandwagon and just had to have one, cause 'Jim Shockey' said so. Reminds me of the guys leaving Bass Pro with a shopping cart full of gear, just in a frenzy ! lol
Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
bang on! I'm with you on that one, these guys that jumped on the 'yeti' bandwagon and just had to have one, cause 'Jim Shockey' said so. Reminds me of the guys leaving Bass Pro with a shopping cart full of gear, just in a frenzy ! lol
Don't have a Yeti...went with the Engel (over $300).
Used to have a Coleman but got tired of going camping in southern Alberta in 30c+ and after two days having a bunch of meat sitting in a pool of tepid water.
With the Engel after 6 days I've still got ice.
I guess as Airborndeerhunter states if all you're doing is sitting around swilling beer instead of out for days in scorching weather save your money.
I'll stick with my Engel and pass on the food poisoning.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM

Discuss away. Argue like hell if you must. Don't curse or use abbreviations for curses. They are the same thing and won't be ignored.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Because it's a lot easier for Diamond K to throw a line out there and 'bow out', that it is to lose an argument and be humiliated. That's the downside of arguing thru a keyboard with someone like that. I don't pay much time to folks who throw a line out there and 'bow out'.
I definitely did not bow out the conversation I chose to bow out of a dialogue with someone that that has absolutely no interest in having a conversation without blaming me for the ills of the world because I did not believe in his perceptions of the world.