Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Dead mustang.

Got a mustang a few years ago, really good deal, neighbor was getting divorced, so the price was right, but it burns about as much fuel as my f250, so I didn't have much use for it, so I parked it for a couple years.
Now I need it for driving to work. (Blew the motor on the other car)
So I put a new battery in and cranked it, but no go.
I checked the fuses, they all look Good, I can't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on, so I'm thinking that's where my problem is.
Do I have to rip out the tank and put in a new pump? Or is there a controller for that pump that might be easier to check first?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

It is REALLY important to know what year and engine size for your car , before any mechanical advice can be of value,,,
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Year is 2000 engine is v6
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Banned

You should hear the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on,( have someone listen at the gas cap filler, with gas cap removed ) they should hear a buzzing for a few seconds every time you cycle the ignition key off and on,

The inertia switch could have deployed ( you can google where and how to reset that,

Fuel pump could have just ( stuck and can't restart) take rubber hammer give a few good thumps in bottom of fuel tank, this may restart fuel pump,
Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Every once in a while you come across a Youtube video where somebody 'discovers' some interesting or rare collectible, then tries to start it up right away after replacing the battery.

That's so bad, because there can be so many things which have seized up, plugged up, corroded, drained out, etc., that trying to crank or ignite the engine causes huge amounts of damage.

Anything which has sat for years really needs to have all relevant parts and fluids replaced, and the rest cleaned and adjusted as appropriate, before trying to start the engine. Especially if it was put away dirty in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CragRdCVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CRCZWwNhM
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Look for a red flashing light on dash or by defrost duc it has a security key and will shut pump off. They sometimes lose the memory of thier key when left parked with dead battery for long time
Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Look for a red flashing light on dash or by defrost duc it has a security key and will shut pump off. They sometimes lose the memory of thier key when left parked with dead battery for long time
I see the light you're talking about, in the instrument panel.
What to do with that?

I guess i just thought it goes without saying, but I always check fluid levels (coolant, engine oil, tranny fluid, power steering, ect) before trying to start any engine that has been sitting for extended periods of time.

I tried giving it ether, but it doesn't even fire on that.
I pulled the module in the passenger side foot well, opened it up and it's in good shape, no melted connections or fried circuits on there.
I'm thinking it's the key memory that you mentioned.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 PM

Yup you got it. Because it also shuts the spark off. If you have another key set try those. If not will needs keys reprogrammed to car
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 PM

So I found that I've got spark, it will start when I load it up with ether.
But won't keep running, so I checked the inertia switch in the trunk, no problems there... took a multimeter and checked the power at the fuel pump, maximum 5 volts!
Doesn't seem to have a fuel relay, so I gotta talk to ford tomorrow and see if they can flash it.
Unless anyone here has any other suggestions for me to try.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:09 AM

An infamous problem on the f150 is the fuel pump controller bolted to a chassis crossmember near the axle. The pot metal housing backside contacting the steel member corrodes badly from road salt, letting all sorts of dirty salty water directly onto the electronics inside. That buggers up the fuel pump, leading to a no-start.

I caught mine with a hole the size of a silver dollar, before the electronics started to fry. New ones come with a standoff so there's no contact between the metals anymore.

Maybe something similar on your 2000 'stang?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPbwBEfWVO0

Purging the fuel lines and swapping in a new fuel line filter afterward might be good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smY3GNyRU4Y
Old 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
So I found that I've got spark, it will start when I load it up with ether.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Check to see if your model is equipped with an inertial cut-off switch. Some Fords have them usually in the trunk under carpeting. They shut off fuel pump during perceived collision. May be as easy as pressing a button...
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Disregard. I read that you have done this already...
Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

.......don't know what the mechanics here think, but I've recently read in a couple places that people are using ether start gas engines. I've always been taught that using ether with gas engines is a mortal sin!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
.......don't know what the mechanics here think, but I've recently read in a couple places that people are using ether start gas engines. I've always been taught that using ether with gas engines is a mortal sin!
Also frowned on to start diesels with it when they have a inlet air heater.
Also not supposed to use it to seat tire beads.... What can we even use it for.

That reminds me. Does anyone remember about 10 years ago a service rig hand was driving their pump truck. There was a can of eiter stood up under the seat. Every time he hit a bump (air seat lots of travel) the can would give a shot. Woke up in the ditch with no idea what happened. Kind of a funny story since noone was hurt.

Sorry for the derail OP.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 PM

Ether had more relevance back in the carburetor days, when trying to kick over an engine in the freezing cold. Now, not so much.

It might be useful to find a vacuum leak, maybe.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Banned

Stale fuel!!!! Dump all the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in. Now keep in mind that it won't start right away as it will take a bit to get the good fuel through to the injectors, and it will eventually get there and when it does the car will fire up. Trust me I just went through the same thing with a 89 ford half ton with a 302 fuel injected engine. the truck sat for a couple of years. The fuel nowadays has a very short shelf life sorta speaking. I think it has something to do with all the crap thats in the fuel. Don't over think this!!!

Last edited by RZR; 04-24-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Also not supposed to use it to seat tire beads.... What can we even use it for.

Sorry for the derail OP.
Cleaning cruddy metal prior to welding. Especially the porous types.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
[...] it will take a bit to get the good fuel through to the injectors[...]
The problem with that is you'll be dragging all sorts of junk through the lines, and lodging the precipitates and tars and varnishes and rust particles and little chunks of dirt into the tiny injector holes.

Then you get to buy and install a new set of injectors, and maybe a new pump too. And then the whole deal a few more times all over again until all the stuff in the lines is finally flushed with new fuel.

Best to detach the lines from the injectors and pump, flush the tank, flush the lines with something else besides the in-vehicle pump, and replace the filter prior to attempting a start.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:29 AM

If it was me I would give it a drink of gas at the intake . It might take a couple times as it will fire up and die until it gets gas to the injectors from the tank.

If it won't stay running after a couple drinks, check the filter to see if it has gas there, , or possible water.

When you prime it at the intake it might catch fire if it backfires, you can keep cranking to suck the flame into the engine and snuff it, and or have a big rag to smother it with.

When you give it a drink it just takes a bit, like a tablespoon full , not a glass full.