Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM

Default mildew, mold and wall tent question

I had to pack up my tent in six inches of wet snow last friday, and it has been raining or snowing ever since. I am concerned how long i can leave a canvis tent rolled up wet before mold and mildew becomes an issue, does anybody have any advice on this?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

id get it dried as soon as possible. A couple days is ok but the longer you leave it the bigger risk you run of rot and mildew. Even if you can place it some where and open it a couple folds at a time. Borrow someones garage if you dont have one and get it dried.
SG
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM

i know what a PIA this can be. what i always do is once i get home i set the tent up again until it can completely dry out. It doesnt matter if it is wet as long as it is standing and air can move around / through it. It only takes one good warm day to completely dry the tent so you can pack it up again.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM

When I was younger (16-17) I worked as a Stevador for Alberta Forestry-pack up new fire kits, clean used walltents, etc....then deliver out into the field..sometimes by helicopter (fun for a 16-17 year old for sure-even get some training on fighting the fires).

We would hang the field-used walltents on big racks then spray with a solution that would foam up, let penetrate for couple hours then rinse off and hang dry. I cant remeber what the solution was-but it destroyed the mild dew and any type of mould.

As mentioned, get that tent hanging or spread out in the yard to air dry ASAP. Maybe a mild bleach solution to wash the tent down in.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 AM

thanks for the advice, I am heading out again wed. or thurs. but i will set it up today raining or not and take it down the night before i leave. thanks again and good hunting
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 AM

The one fold at a time dry is a good idea. Setting it up again in the rain is also a good idea, even though it will be wet again, it will wash. I have used a mild dish soap solution and shop broom on my canvass and rinse, it will kill mildew in its early stages. Depending on the material and its treatment will dictate its ability to withstand mildew and stains. It stinks, but consider spraying it with thompson water seal. I did this to a wall tent, and it lasted 10 years... I lived in it, summer and into winter months, probably up and down 500 times, stored wet and abused alot. Never had an issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post

As mentioned, get that tent hanging or spread out in the yard to air dry ASAP. Maybe a mild bleach solution to wash the tent down in.
GEt it dry, but DO NOT use any bleach. If neccesssary use an anti-mildew spray. Bleach that is applied and not thoroughly washed out will cause the fabric to deteriorate .
Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM

I have it set up in the rain now, I am going to leave it set up until it dries or I head out bear hunting wed. or thurs.