Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Banned

Default ............

There is too much misleading information regarding how long it will take to get drawn on this hunt so I went through the past two years of trophy pronghorn draw statistics.

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/hun...ode12-2016.pdf

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/hun...ode12-2015.pdf

In 2015 there was a total of 31,777 applicants for 623 tags
in 2016 there was a total of 36,583 applicants for 675 tags

That is a 4806 increase in applicants in one single year. And at between 600-1000 (optimistic) tags issued a year, you will never ever get drawn in this province as a new applicant.

Non-residents Canadians are allowed in the draw system. And outfitters continue to hunt this once in a lifetime opportunity as well.

As a new applicant, I hope you enjoy wasting your money on this draw code.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:09 AM

I drew my tag this year, and I will not be applying again.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

Can a non-res can obtain a tag every year??

Last edited by boah; 07-30-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 AM

I was drawn with a p10. I'm 45 years old. This will be the only Trophy Pronghorn opportunity with a rifle I will ever have in Alberta...
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Can a non-res can obtain a tag every year??
Yes, a non resident can hunt pronghorn with an outfitter every year. Even when the resident tags were reduced by over 90% due to a bad winter, the outfitters did not lose a single allocation that year.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 AM

I was drawn for antelope archery in 102/118 with a priority 10. Last time for that draw
Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

What would you guess the percentage of non residents are in this draw code?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
What would you guess the percentage of non residents are in this draw code?
That varies, the year that the resident tags were reduced by over 90%, non residents held about 40% of the pronghorn tags.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM

I would consider myself to be optimistic about hunting pronhorn in Alberta. This year with a priority only increase for my draw it puts me at a level 5. If these numbers hold steady I'm hoping to draw in 5-6 years time minimum putting me at age 33-34. However I look at my hunting partners sons situation and he turned 12 this year which means by the time he is 22 he would be in a position where he could start seriously looking at hunting them a few years after that ( which still puts him at an age younger than I am now). So in my opinion new hunters should apply as soon as they can for any draw to increase there chances of getting drawn. If left to long though it would greatly decrease there chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyeMG View Post
I would consider myself to be optimistic about hunting pronhorn in Alberta. This year with a priority only increase for my draw it puts me at a level 5. If these numbers hold steady I'm hoping to draw in 5-6 years time minimum putting me at age 33-34. However I look at my hunting partners sons situation and he turned 12 this year which means by the time he is 22 he would be in a position where he could start seriously looking at hunting them a few years after that ( which still puts him at an age younger than I am now). So in my opinion new hunters should apply as soon as they can for any draw to increase there chances of getting drawn. If left to long though it would greatly decrease there chances.

Don't look at the priority it took to draw this year and figure that it is only going to take you that many points to draw. Look at the actual number of people with more priority points than you, and the number of tags being drawn every year. As the priority number gets smaller, the number of people with that priority number bets much larger, so it's not linear.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Don't look at the priority it took to draw this year and figure that it is only going to take you that many points to draw. Look at the actual number of people with more priority points than you, and the number of tags being drawn every year. As the priority number gets smaller, the number of people with that priority number bets much larger, so it's not linear.
..and once again, the long wait time will hurt the "trophy" part of the equation. If a person waits 12+ years to draw a tag, you can bet he will shoot a small buck on the last day of his hunt rather than go home empty handed
Old 07-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Gone Hunting

never liked the priority system. That being said.if you are going to put restrictions on tags/draws. I think it all draws should be limited to those applicants 73 years old and older.

It would certainly shorten the lineups and take the pressure of the game populations.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 AM

I have 14 years 999 on this tag just have no idea where to go or how to hunt them really . I hope to do the research this fall and scout a bit and draw it next year . Is anyone on here a seasoned vet at hunting them and want to come on a hunt with me haha
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 AM

I looked back 10 years to 2007. For trophy antelope there was 18420 applicants for 725 tags. Quite a difference in 10 years.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyeMG View Post

You can be as optimistic as you like but there are 20,190 people with the same or better priority than what you have. So at ~700 tags per year you could be waiting another 28 years to get drawn. That's if there isn't another bad winter which previously caused the number of tags to drop to 140/yr.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger99 View Post
I have 14 years 999 on this tag just have no idea where to go or how to hunt them really . I hope to do the research this fall and scout a bit and draw it next year . Is anyone on here a seasoned vet at hunting them and want to come on a hunt with me haha
If I were you, I would draw that tag very soon, before they change the system, and all of your waiting will have been for nothing. I had several double digit priorities, but by next year, I will have drawn them all.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I looked back 10 years to 2007. For trophy antelope there was 18420 applicants for 725 tags. Quite a difference in 10 years.
And in the year 2000 there was 8661 applicants for 798 tags
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Where did all the people come from
Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

I suspect a large portion of them are non-residents applying alongside residents.
The internet hunt swap thing is alive and well. Trade a mountain goat hunt for a pronghorn hunt. And father in laws, their buddies etc. Guys who used to live here but don't anymore. Their wives. I could go on.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Priority 9 and didn't get drawn this year, hopefully will pull a tag next year. I don't expect once I do get drawn for antelope to ever shoot another one in this province, but that doesn't mean I'll never shoot another one. There are lots of opportunities south of the border and for the most part it's a relatively cheap hunt to go on in most states. Depends how bad you want to put a booner on your wall
Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Where did all the people come from
Many people working in Alberta have learned that they can just provide an Alberta address, and draw resident tags. Even if it isn't the address of their permanent residence, it is just too easy to do, and the risk of getting caught is extremely slim.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Go figure, call it a wild guess, but you werent drawn deerhunter. Just after draws are out your mad as hell that someone besides you is hunting one, and want to play broken record journalist with what you figure is the biggest story of your life.
So what is your point, has it changed since last time here, and what do you proffess this time around?
If its an antelope you want, really man, save your energy here, and try south with (and heaven forbid lolol) an OUTFITTER, where there are antelope to look at, somewhere youve never been, heck maybe somewhere for a real good one. Or you could just sit here mad that the northern plains cant supply you with sufficient opportunity to satisfy your demented demands pertaining to your perceived entitlements as a resident of this ultra high plains region.
Hey, if you really enjoy/value this animal and the time spent with them through study, with a bonus of a small volume of pursuit, you ever think about guiding here or south of the border?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 07-30-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If I were you, I would draw that tag very soon, before they change the system, and all of your waiting will have been for nothing. I had several double digit priorities, but by next year, I will have drawn them all.

Ya I'll pull it next year regardless
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, a non resident can hunt pronghorn with an outfitter every year. Even when the resident tags were reduced by over 90% due to a bad winter, the outfitters did not lose a single allocation that year.
There are some species and areas that should only ba available to residents!!!!
Old 07-30-2017, 10:47 AM

It's not quite as simple as 20,000 people divided by the number of tags. For example, there are currently more than 3000 people with P10 or higher who still 999'd this year. So obviously not every person who is putting in is looking to hunt the first year they can get a tag (especially the one fellow with P21).

Non-res tags are mathematically a non-factor when there are so few tags. Even if we loaded up the pitchforks and took their allocation by force and returned them to the people, it wouldn't make a significant difference to draw odds.

Our energy would be much better spent trying to make more antelope through habitat improvement and protection, to try and minimize the effect of the bad years, which are bound to happen when you exist on the fringes of a species' range.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Go figure, call it a wild guess, but you werent drawn deerhunter. Just after draws are out your mad as hell that someone besides you is hunting one, and want to play broken record journalist with what you figure is the biggest story of your life.
So what is your point, has it changed since last time here, and what do you proffess this time around?
If its an antelope you want, really man, save your energy here, and try south with (and heaven forbid lolol) an OUTFITTER, where there are antelope to look at, somewhere youve never been, heck maybe somewhere for a real good one. Or you could just sit here mad that the northern plains cant supply you with sufficient opportunity to satisfy your demented demands pertaining to your perceived entitlements as a resident of this ultra high plains region.
Hey, if you really enjoy/value this animal and the time spent with them through study, with a bonus of a small volume of pursuit, you ever think about guiding here or south of the border?
^^^ And here is what an outfitter has to say about it.

I wasn't drawn you are correct. Mad? Please.

Next time I post anything on here i'll be sure to get your approval.

Not every hunting opportunity needs to start with an outfitter. From your perspective it would be nice.

Alberta needs to revisit a few of these draws as they are becoming a mathematical impossibility. Not for outfitters. But for residents. And our children.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
It's not quite as simple as 20,000 people divided by the number of tags. For example, there are currently more than 3000 people with P10 or higher who still 999'd this year. So obviously not every person who is putting in is looking to hunt the first year they can get a tag (especially the one fellow with P21).

Non-res tags are mathematically a non-factor when there are so few tags. Even if we loaded up the pitchforks and took their allocation by force and returned them to the people, it wouldn't make a significant difference to draw odds.

Our energy would be much better spent trying to make more antelope through habitat improvement and protection, to try and minimize the effect of the bad years, which are bound to happen when you exist on the fringes of a species' range.
Tell me how many non-residents are in this draw before you call it a non-factor.
We cannot control the weather, we need to better manage what we can control, the applicants.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm p11 now cause I didn't get drawn this year....

So I'm all sour grapes on the draw system...

It's all a fix man!!!! Damn rigged system!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-30-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Tell me how many non-residents are in this draw before you call it a non-factor.
We cannot control the weather, we need to better manage what we can control, the applicants.
Do you mean people buying hunts from outfitters, or people pretending to be residents to apply for the draw?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Do you mean people buying hunts from outfitters, or people pretending to be residents to apply for the draw?
There are non-res in the draw system also.