Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM

Had a mule deer tag in 102 years ago. Opening morning, a buck crossed the coulee and came up my side, a small 4 pointer. It stopped 50 yards below me. A lucky break. In my excitement loading the shell, I got it jammed in the barrel. That had never happened with the .270 I was using, ever. Somehow I managed to do it. I had to watch him bound away. Needless to say, I didn't get another chance at a deer that trip and did not fill the mulie tag that year. It still bothers me to this day.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:37 AM

Camp Wainwright deer.
Figured the start of December would be free from obligations.
That fall my wife's sister decides to get married.
You'll never guess what weekend she picked.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Had an easily over 220" non typical mule deer at 27 yards with my bow, but he had me pinned and I couldn't draw on him. Depressing.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 PM

My last archery antelope tag , had a shot and shot low grazing him on the foreleg . Nothing that would cripple or cause death but worse than a clean miss . I was able to direct some fellow AO members to him a few days later when rifle opened and a youngster connected with the 75 incher connected , eased my pain somewhat .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2382.jpg (47.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Not really, I hunt for the love of hunting not to kill something. Yeah it sucks when I miss out, lost a good archery stag this year but I don't let that stuff eat me up anymore. As long as I'm upright and have the opportunity to still hunt I'm winning.

This year's stag I lost

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 AM

A black bear. Have a few empty tags spent on him, this year will be 11 tags I bought with him in mind; though have only gone after him about 5 times before. He lives on the section next to family. I go up in the fall if I can to help with the cows and spend any free time chasing him. He is probably just shy of 7, but his size... never seen anything like him. Cousin has video of him taking a dislike to some round bales. Moved them like balloons in the wind. Been within about 50 yds of him just plodding along eating oats... in the neighbours field. She is a nice lady, but won't let anyone shoot animals on her property. Have had him give me fair warning that I was a bit to close in some dense trees and shrub another time. Will be going soon to try again this year, but as the day draws closer I am find myself wondering what I will do if he does show. He is getting old. Any winter may be his last. Not sure I want the game to end on my terms or his.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Bears can live a long time. Keep at it. That's a great story.
I have quite the history on the herd bull elk I described earlier. Wouldn't be overly interesting and too lengthy to put it here, but I feel I know how there's so much more to it than just the words on the page. It's an experience that draws me into the woods time after time in hopes of adding to the encounters with that one animal. One day I'd like to close the tag on him but it will be that much more enjoyable because of the years of previous encounters.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Archery speed goat tag.

Work got stupid busy..... I felt I just couldn't break away.. then poof! Season over!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 PM

936 Elk -- lots of pre-season scouting, knew where I wanted to be for the daybreak on first morning. Quite a hike in the dark. 3/4 of the way in slipped and went down between some deadfall. Was lucky I only sprained my knee and did not break my leg. Season was done. Waited for daylight and it was a very long slow walk back to the truck.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Default turkey in 2015

I drew the tag in July... then almost 2 weeks before I blew my already repaired ACL. I spent the month in physio, and under an ice bag. I never saw a day afield. lots can happen in 9+ months.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Default Just starting mistakes

The second year hunting I was still trying to fill a tag. This time it was for whitetail buck. I was walking from a spot that I was plunked in for about three to four hours, when I gathered my gear, I was holding my shooting sticks in one hand and the rifle slung. As I rounded a corner, lo and behold, a beautiful whitetail buck was standing in the sun on the side of a hill not 30 yards from me . . I swear he was gleaming . . . . as though dropped from the sky just for me !!!

He was looking right at me, I slowly rested my shooting sticks against myself, his tail flicked and just as I was un-slinging the rifle . . . woosh, off he went. tag soup for that year

Never again will I walk encumbered when hunting . . . I remember that guy fondly though, it was an intense experience as a new hunter

Last edited by JWCalgary; 08-09-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: content
Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 AM

Maker of much tag soup.. 2015 mulie doe.. Sitting in a Saskatoon bush watching the trail they always come down Holding my 50 caplock. I hear a noise coming from behind me.. I'm pretty sure it's a deer.. Don't turn around I tell myself, Start to raise my rifle to get in position.. Slowly turn my head to left, outta the corner of my eye see a doe at 1 yard, She is right beside me, takes a couple small steps.. I can see her for a identification.. Can't move, twitch or breath, Panic.. Wind pumps she busts me standing there looking right at me.. Bolts... Ah last day.. I'll be back
Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 AM

My first year hunting (2015) Had my general whitetail tag in my pocket awaiting my first ever big game kill. It was the first week of November and I started to rattle, within 20 minutes I heard branches breaking and here comes what I am guessing is a 160-170 class 5x5 full stride. I draw my bow and wait for him to walk into the shooting lane, he stops... puts nose to the ground and before I know it, is full sprint back where he came from..
Tag soup..
I can still remember my heart beating out of my chest.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Had two Bull Moose's in my bow sights last year. one at 34 yards and one at 10 yards. Busted at half draw both times. Sucked at the time but only 3 weeks left til I get to go and try and outsmart them this time. Maybe they'll be even bigger.