Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 PM

Default West/ north/ elk

Hi, good people. Question on feelings for going after elk? Would you rather go north or west for an elk trip. Have two spots wanting a little input on preference on the 2 ways. I guess I should also say those directions are from Edmonton area. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 PM

if you go north either find some private land to hunt or be prepared to deal with the crowds i'm pretty sure half of Alberta comes to hunt saddle hills area in September. every empty lease and pipeline has an elk camp on it you'll be lucky to hear a bugle that isn't coming from other hunters be prepared to hunt silent and cautious elk. not sure how the hinton area is for hunter competition but have heard they have a high grizz population in that area, ill take wolves and bears over other hunters any day
Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBowman View Post
if you go north either find some private land to hunt or be prepared to deal with the crowds i'm pretty sure half of Alberta comes to hunt saddle hills area in September. every empty lease and pipeline has an elk camp on it you'll be lucky to hear a bugle that isn't coming from other hunters be prepared to hunt silent and cautious elk. not sure how the hinton area is for hunter competition but have heard they have a high grizz population in that area, ill take wolves and bears over other hunters any day
X2 on the crap show in the saddle hills, really turns into a no permission party.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM

Default elk

Best hunter success is in Peace Country as very high elk numbers. Foothills is a tough hunt, lots of wolves, not many elk, but as mention lot less hunters. Pick your poison.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks for your input. Would have thought the foothills would have had more elk,but definetly something to think about
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM

We hunt both. Early bow in the west, and if we don't lay one down, then up to Grand Prairie where the hubs has permission. We live in Red Deer so we prefer the west first, and I can hunt with my crossbow
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Seen lots of elk west of whitecourt, also by hinton, I am surprised how many folk come to the peace for the elk gong show and drive past decent elk areas to do it.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Seen lots of elk west of whitecourt, also by hinton, I am surprised how many folk come to the peace for the elk gong show and drive past decent elk areas to do it.
I always wonder this as well. Peers, Niton junction area seemed to have good elk numbers. Many spots within 2 1/2 hours of the city I've hunted and was successful.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Aside from sheep, probably the species you will get the least help and most recommended wild goose chases. Hint hint ^

The general assessment is correct: north = gong show but decent elk numbers, west = fewer hunters but wolves and quiet elk.

Pressured elk act like somewhat like whitetails, they will hole up in a 5-10 acre safe zone that has lots of deadfall and many escape routes. Good luck
Old 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best hunter success is in Peace Country as very high elk numbers. Foothills is a tough hunt, lots of wolves, not many elk, but as mention lot less hunters. Pick your poison.
No shortage of hunters in the peace country either. I don't even bother going out until after the first two weeks. Before that it feels like a two way shooting gallery. Gets a lot saner after a foot of snow hits the ground.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:42 PM

GP
athabasca
jenner
Wain

Elk are everywhere. Taking one may be a different story.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Oh ya and edson too, no wild goose chase either, see them everytime I work out there. Its right silly how many people drive up to the peace from somewhere south and drive right past all the elk. Also, people have mentioned there are wolves out west, there are wolves in the north also, lots of them. The calling has been terrible the last few years. You have to put in some seroius time patterning them in the thick chit or have a good peice of cropland that you have permission on to get an elk in the north.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:13 PM

The best place to get an elk is wherever elk live that is closest to you. That way you can get there quick and frequently. Run cams, develop patterns, return as much as you can to learn and hunt your local elk. Hunt the sign. Scout year round. You will be astounded how much you have missed when you really get to know an area. It gets easier as you learn more about your local elk every year.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
The best place to get an elk is wherever elk live that is closest to you. That way you can get there quick and frequently. Run cams, develop patterns, return as much as you can to learn and hunt your local elk. Hunt the sign. Scout year round. You will be astounded how much you have missed when you really get to know an area. It gets easier as you learn more about your local elk every year.
My thoughts as well. Guys Drive 6+ hours to hunt the hills for a week a year then wonder how come the don't fill their tag. When I lived in Edmonton I'd hunt down the wolf lake road. Could do a day trip from Edmonton easily. More days hunting equals more success in my books.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
My thoughts as well. Guys Drive 6+ hours to hunt the hills for a week a year then wonder how come the don't fill their tag. When I lived in Edmonton I'd hunt down the wolf lake road. Could do a day trip from Edmonton easily. More days hunting equals more success in my books.
I wonder how many Google hits for wolf lake road there are now.
Glad I'm not hunting that area now. Lol
Care to share which mountain you currently hunt sheep on? Of course a PM would be more helpful so that we won't all join you. Just me
Old 08-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I wonder how many Google hits for wolf lake road there are now.
Glad I'm not hunting that area now. Lol
Care to share which mountain you currently hunt sheep on? Of course a PM would be more helpful so that we won't all join you. Just me
Pm sent. I can give you directions but my phone battery almost dead.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

Wolf lake road also runs through 338 which opens nov1 for rifle hence why most drive by it lol
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Haha sweet. If I start hunting sheep in a couple years I'll know where to start

In all seriousness though, there are so many elk areas and they all require getting to know the lay off the land and the patterns of the local herds. Certainly don't need to drive more than 3 hours from Edmonton. Some places are more like 30 minutes.
As for north or west, probably whichever you have access to better elk habitat
Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Wolf lake road also runs through 338 which opens nov1 for rifle hence why most drive by it lol
For elk to? No wonder I was having such good luck in September. Lol. Just kidding. Haven't hunted down there in at least 15+ years.