Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 PM

My buddy has one of those foldable trailers on order to haul his Outback - he's tired of carrying it sticking out of the bed of his truck. They were waiting for a delivery held up by the Vancouver Port work stoppage, but should be in stock soon.

Not a great photo, but here's my Yakima trailer set up for the Pro Angler and the Outback. I'm looking for a used car-topper to mount for storage when I'm only carrying one yak.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/trailers/...ck-and-roll-66

Expensive little puppy, but very nice. It also folds up nicely - I store it up against a wall in the basement. It is very light on the road and can bounce around a bit, but the independant motorcycle suspension really dampens the kayak's ride and seems to eliminate vibration. I use black rubber (trucker) bungie cords exclusively to secure my yaks. They've got a little 'give' on the bumps, yet never come loose.

I wouldn't recommend the Pro Angler 'saddles' though. After a day of travelling in the rain on gravel roads, sand had got between the PA and the saddles and ground away 2 wide bands of finish of the hull

Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack Stoph !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack Stoph !!!
Thumper:

With Stoph's permission please keep going.

Did you see the number of views suddenly jump up when you started posting pictures.

What do you figure Stoph? It's your thread.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Default Stoph

Yes, sorry for the hi-jack, but you may be picking up some more info at the same time.

Thumper, your right, that is a bit pricey, but certainly looks like it does the job.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Sputnik...I pm'd you on the trailer.

If Stoph gives the go ahead I can post the pm here.

Jim

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 PM

Haha, love the thread!

Thanks guys, keep all the great idea's / thoughts going with everything fish kayak related. I love the different transport options!

On track with the original post I might have found my yak! Sat in one of these at MEC, the seat is amazing and price is reasonable!

http://feelfreeus.com/kayaks/fishing-kayaks/lure-11-5/

Stopherson
Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 PM

For those interested in the Salter foldable trailer here is a picture of it half built.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Close up

Nice looking kayak Stoph, really different color designs and that seat looks really comfortable as well.

Excellent close up of the trailer in progress Jim, giving me ideas to work with. More room on the bed than I realized from the previous photos and the pictures on the web from the dealer. All the kit showing like that gives some great perspective references to size and what you can do with the space.

Going to have to sit down with the old drawing program and work up some designs for my mobile kitchen and storage ideas.

Like the trailer jack on the front, I guess once that gets loaded up the tongue is a little heavy.

Cheers.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Sweet ride Stoph. That elevating seat would come in very handy for increasing casting distance - 'specially with a fly rod - also assist in standing up.

If you're a little shaky when first learning how to stand up from a seated position, try tying a 4' piece of rope to your front handle, and laying it on the deck between your legs. Use it to assist in pulling yourself up to a standing position - it really helps to steady yourself. After a few times, you'll be fine without it, but it really helps when 1st learning your balance during that maneuver.

Also a handy 'assist' in standing for us guys of generous proportions when our bellies grow and our abdominal muscles shrink!! Usually accompanied by a manly grunt.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Default Standing aid

Outstanding idea (pun intended) with the rope to assist. I almost had beer come out my nose from the visual.....and the fact the description fits me better than I would rather admit!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 PM

Hey Thumper,

It comes with a strap to help pull yourself up! Also with the high seat it makes it easier to get yourself up!

Did you see the built in wheel in the keel.

I think this boat will be great for casting with a fly rod. I can't take away from the Hobbie but this boat will most likely only see about 10 days a year. I love to wade streams, I have a powercraft, this is for fishing in BC lakes with my buddy. His " extra kayak" stinks!

Great thread, thanks for all the great ideas and boats.

Stopherson
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the inspiration!

I've a future project along these lines in mind.
I'd like to fab up a wee 'luma cargo trailer, just big enought for two 'yaks, paddles, poles etc.

Now if I could find the time for the current projects!

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.