Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Absolutely. I was mostly responding because we see so much junk advice from people who seem to have only seen a couple of Disney movies.

I think bears are no different than horses and dogs. Some are shy. Some are curious. Some are boring. And some are just plain ornery. The only way to tell what you stumbled onto is to see what they do. That's the part where I'd sure like to have something with a big hole in the end of the barrel. Of course, that breaks down in a story like this 'cause there's no way I'm going to take a shotgun into the crapper. Not if anybody can see me, anyway.

In my own experience, my ears have probably been more useful more often than my eyes for things that are close.
Wasn't there a bear attack back in Ontario in the early 90s that was so bizarre for any bear behaviour that they listed it "right off the scale"? Black bear grabbed a couple and killed them by breaking their necks, then consumed the bodies but also guarded the remains for days afterwards. Think it was in Algonquin Park.

If I'm in bear country and I have a rifle with me, if I poop, the rifle poops too. I repeat the line... "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless... and the big, bad bear will get me if I leave it behind." lol
Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
sheephunter

Odds of being attacked by a bear are astronomical.....odds of a rifle putting an end to the attack are higher yet. Be aware out there but there are loads of other things far more dangerous to worry about...like the drive getting there and zombies. Bearanoia runs rampant everytime there is a bear attack somewhere...it's human nature. Not sure I'm ready to start packing heat to the outhouse yet.

Last edited by sheephunter; 05-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM

hmmmm by the sounds of it no one offering advice has any examples of what they did that worked when they ran into a bear.

By close encounter I mean 5-20 feet away tops

bring a gun? Ha! You should probably assume that bear will have 1-2 minutes to destroy you after you **** it off by shooting it,lol.... In that case if the bear isn't close enough to clobber you in under a few minutes you didn't have a close encounter with a bear in the first place and would have been ok just minding your own business
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
hmmmm by the sounds of it no one offering advice has any examples of what they did that worked when they ran into a bear.

By close encounter I mean 5-20 feet away tops

bring a gun? Ha! You should probably assume that bear will have 1-2 minutes to destroy you after you **** it off by shooting it,lol.... In that case if the bear isn't close enough to clobber you in under a few minutes you didn't have a close encounter with a bear in the first place and would have been ok just minding your own business
Thought it had been pretty much covered in this thread... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=126253