Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Hike comparison: Rawson or Rummel Vs Rainy Ridge.

Will be in crowsnest and was thinking to at least try for goldens...

Barnaby sounds crazy hard for me so I'm thinking about Rainy Ridge. I was hoping someone here has experience with either Rawson or Rummel (two that I'm very familiar with) and Rainy Ridge. I'm hoping for a comparison between either Rawson or Rummel to Rainy in terms of difficulty and elevation gain (mostly, type of elevation gain... steady climb or steep ascent) and length. I'm actually having a hard time finding info on rainy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Rainy Ridge

Hey, Rainy is a steady climb. Haven't hiked in a number of years thou. As I remember, steady up hill from the road for about an 1-1 1/2 hours. Levels off near the top and you skirt around the top for another 1/2 hour to the lake. We were in pretty good shape and it was a trudge. The Goldie's were beautiful thou. My dad has one mounted that he caught back in the early 90's
Old 08-21-2017, 10:43 PM

Thanks for this.... might try it out on wednesday but my knee is killing me. I sure do want to see one of these goldens, though.....
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM

I've hiked Rawson twice. It sounds like a piece of cake compared to the latter lakes.
although I'd like to do Rummell and Rainy as well
Old 08-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
I've hiked Rawson twice. It sounds like a piece of cake compared to the latter lakes.
although I'd like to do Rummell and Rainy as well
Rummel is a bit longer than Rawson.... But I find Rawson more difficult simply because of the initial ascent. Straight up. Rummel levels off at the last third of the leg. Rummel has an alternative waterfall route, as well. If you like things like that, it's well worth it. The tiniest bit of ledge scrambling required.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:22 PM

they changed the bridge by castle ski hill so you need a quad or bike to get over it otherwise it will be a long walk to rainy ridge lakes . i went up to south forks last year it was not to bad of a hike up and down in a day trail was well marked .