Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Coyote pups still in den?

At this time of year would coyote pups still be in den?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:05 PM

Not sure about coyotes, but I saw a pair of young foxes following mom in town the other day.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:33 PM

Yapper pups would still be staying real close to the den.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 PM

whats a good call to try this time of year for coyotes?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM

here puppy puppy ........ here puppy puppy
Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 PM

pup in distress?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:29 PM

seriously, yes pup in distress usually brings the male and female in on a run. However unless they are a problem , usually don't call in summer, and if I do just to have some fun.. and not shoot any... gotta leave seed for something to do in the winter
Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM

I see what you did there double gun
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM

Pup in distress , but at current fur prices I'm done shooting til winter .
Old 05-31-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Not sure about coyotes, but I saw a pair of young foxes following mom in town the other day.
Was the mother fox starting to look like a cougar ?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:33 PM

A guy shouldn't shoot coyotes this time of year, you shoot a mother with a couple pups in the den that will stay there and starve to death. I'm all for hunting coyotes in the winter, but the thought of the suffering pups is a big turn off.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
A guy shouldn't shoot coyotes this time of year, you shoot a mother with a couple pups in the den that will stay there and starve to death. I'm all for hunting coyotes in the winter, but the thought of the suffering pups is a big turn off.
have to agree with 340. shoot any adult animal at this time of year and you probably will have young slowly starve to death. doesen't sit right with me.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Unfortunately this time of the year mom is slaughtering anything she can to feed the pups..

For control measures, probably the best time to let the wind out of the predators..

Our upland populations will benefit greatly with less predators.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Banned

now i have to agree with sledhead. mrs. coyote is not only killing upland birds but also migratory birds (eggs, young and adults).
now that i've agreed with both sides of this issue, what to do?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM

I guess where I'm coming from, the Edmonton Bowzone, I mostly care about the whitetails, which get pounded here in the winter by the coyotes, they don't bother them to much in the spring I don't think, they may get the odd fawn. I don't know that's a tough one, I think I will sit out on the spring coyote hunting, if I owned a farm and they were a issue effecting me directly then yes, but otherwise no.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Jameson, good comments.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I guess where I'm coming from, the Edmonton Bowzone, I mostly care about the whitetails, which get pounded here in the winter by the coyotes, they don't bother them to much in the spring I don't think, they may get the odd fawn. I don't know that's a tough one, I think I will sit out on the spring coyote hunting, if I owned a farm and they were a issue effecting me directly then yes, but otherwise no.
Yuuup good comments, I have a farm and this is the absolute best time to control population, I milking female now means 5 less dogs in the fall to take down white tails. Coyotes take a lot of deer down during the harsh winters but they also kill a lot of fawns in the spring. Like another poster said the milking mothers are slaughtering anything they can find right now, including family pets and young livestock, now is the time to kill them for overall control.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Yuuup good comments, I have a farm and this is the absolute best time to control population, I milking female now means 5 less dogs in the fall to take down white tails. Coyotes take a lot of deer down during the harsh winters but they also kill a lot of fawns in the spring. Like another poster said the milking mothers are slaughtering anything they can find right now, including family pets and young livestock, now is the time to kill them for overall control.
I respectively disagree, no animal should have lay in a den and slowly starve to death. I saw 3 coyotes today at work all mousing in fields which is awesome, let them eat all the mice in alberta. We don't have a deer population issue here, I don't believe coyotes kill as many deer as people think in the spring. The females are all mousing and catching gophers for their young, they aren't dragging back fawns. Unless they are killing your livestock, cats and dogs, you should leave them alone. Pups don't deserve to starve to death, let them grow so I can call them in, in the winter and pop em!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM

I'm torn too about shooting dogs this time of year . I know they catch fawns ,and loots of them . That only means less I have to dodge with my truck on the road . Game birds are a mainstay for coyotes too , but those 7 coyote pups that I know the where abouts of are worth $700 this fall .. sorry game birds , you're on your own .
Old 06-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Excellent point, I almost forgot about the money I made off coyotes this winter. Yes coyotes kill fawns, yes coyotes kill upland game birds. Nothing has changed about that in the last decade and last I checked we are doing alright in those areas!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Excellent point, I almost forgot about the money I made off coyotes this winter. Yes coyotes kill fawns, yes coyotes kill upland game birds. Nothing has changed about that in the last decade and last I checked we are doing alright in those areas!
In the last decade, I think you mean ever lol, everything cycles. For me my money is made in the spring when they are not dragging my calves off the pasture.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I respectively disagree, no animal should have lay in a den and slowly starve to death. I saw 3 coyotes today at work all mousing in fields which is awesome, let them eat all the mice in alberta. We don't have a deer population issue here, I don't believe coyotes kill as many deer as people think in the spring. The females are all mousing and catching gophers for their young, they aren't dragging back fawns. Unless they are killing your livestock, cats and dogs, you should leave them alone. Pups don't deserve to starve to death, let them grow so I can call them in, in the winter and pop em!
You disagree with what, you just said unless they are killing your livestock or cats and dogs leave them alone, I just said they are killing my livestock and cats and dogs, hmmmm I am confused you seem to be talking on both sides of the issue, earlier you said the coyotes POUND the whitetail every winter and that's what your concerned about, and then you say there is no issue with population.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

We raised cattle and horses for years. And still raise horses. The best coyote deterant for saving calves and foals is good dogs. Our loss was virtually non existant to coyotes. We shot the odd one but only if we bumped them and usually mostly in the fall deer hunting. As much as we think predator numbers need to be lowered we also need a balance of them. Many dirt farmers where I live will not allow you to shoot yotes. Ask permission to hunt and it's yep you bet but not the coyotes. As they know to few dogs and the mice and moles get to much. To say we can shoot them now and make the pups suffer from starvation in my opinion is pretty sad. To allow any animal good or bad to suffer in any way is wrong to me whether it be for population control or anything else. We are very far from having epidemic numbers of coyotes and the deer herds over all are good. And in some areas high. Like was stated coyotes kill some deer for sure, but that's been part of population control since the two started living together! Never wiped the deer out before we hunted yotes so I'm sure it won't now either.

Last edited by MathewsZ7; 06-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsZ7 View Post
We raised cattle and horses for years. And still raise horses. The best coyote deterant for saving calves and foals is good dogs. Our loss was virtually non existant to coyotes. We shot the odd one but only if we bumped them and usually mostly in the fall deer hunting. As much as we think predator numbers need to be lowered we also need a balance of them. Many dirt farmers where I live will not allow you to shoot yotes. Ask permission to hunt and it's yep you bet but not the coyotes. As they know to few dogs and the mice and moles get to much. To say we can shoot them now and make the pups suffer from starvation in my opinion is pretty sad. We are very far from epidemic numbers of coyotes and the deer herds over all are good. And in some areas high. Like was stated coyotes kill some deer for sure, but that's been part of population control since the two started living together! Never wiped the deer out before we hunted yotes so I'm sure it won't now either.
Yeah I agree yotes and deer have been living together forever, your right it's a tough way to die, pups with no mom in the den, I have as much compassion as the next guy but at the end of the day I have to look out for my family, calves is where my money comes from so to protect them if a few pups have to be abandoned then I guess that's a sacrifice I will take to keep my farm up and running, if you think that makes me cruel then so be it.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I agree yotes and deer have been living together forever, your right it's a tough way to die, pups with no mom in the den, I have as much compassion as the next guy but at the end of the day I have to look out for my family, calves is where my money comes from so to protect them if a few pups have to be abandoned then I guess that's a sacrifice I will take to keep my farm up and running, if you think that makes me cruel then so be it.
Wouldn't be so bad if it was the only sollution. Think about the guys that deal with black bears, cats, Grizz, wolves and yotes. They do pretty well and lots of that can't be hunted in the spring.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
You disagree with what, you just said unless they are killing your livestock or cats and dogs leave them alone, I just said they are killing my livestock and cats and dogs, hmmmm I am confused you seem to be talking on both sides of the issue, earlier you said the coyotes POUND the whitetail every winter and that's what your concerned about, and then you say there is no issue with population.
I'm not arguing with you, you troll, quit stirring the the pot on every thread you comment on.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be so bad if it was the only sollution. Think about the guys that deal with black bears, cats, Grizz, wolves and yotes. They do pretty well and lots of that can't be hunted in the spring.
For coyotes it is a very effective solution, your right the guys who deal with all of those predators have fewer options, you said they do pretty well, but I am sure they would like to do better since they have the inventory to do so. We had a dog which worked great until the coyotes ganged up and killed him, my pup is to little to do anything yet and even when he is big enough I will still help him out by shooting every coyote I see on my and my neighbours farm.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
For coyotes it is a very effective solution, your right the guys who deal with all of those predators have fewer options, you said they do pretty well, but I am sure they would like to do better since they have the inventory to do so. We had a dog which worked great until the coyotes ganged up and killed him, my pup is to little to do anything yet and even when he is big enough I will still help him out by shooting every coyote I see on my and my neighbours farm.
That's totaly your call. Like I said leaving any animal to suffer for any reason doesn't fly with me. If a person is losing many calves to yotes their doing something wrong. Many many farmers don't hunt or shoot them and have very minimal if any loss to yotes. We had more issues with larkspur(and that was rare) than we ever did with yotes.

And a trap line in the winter controls populations in my experience far better than hunting them.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
That's totaly your call. Like I said leaving any animal to suffer for any reason doesn't fly with me. If a person is losing many calves to yotes their doing something wrong. Many many farmers don't hunt or shoot them and have very minimal if any loss to yotes. We had more issues with larkspur(and that was rare) than we ever did with yotes.

And a trap line in the winter controls populations in my experience far better than hunting them.
I don't like animals suffering as well, that's why I shoot the coyotes, there is nothing worse than watching a calf gasping for air and struggling for life because his back end has been chewed out by coyotes. Are you saying I am farming wrong, you say if a person is losing to many animals to yotes they are doing something wrong, please explain how I could do my job better.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you, you troll, quit stirring the the pot on every thread you comment on.
Wow derail!!!