Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 PM

Default Ice fishing trout with a bait ban

I used to ice fish a lake with good trout near my house, but they’ve recently instituted a bait ban. Anyone ever had luck ice fishing trout without bait? I’ve been thinking about using the pistol Pete flies I’ve caught them on in the summer along with some splitshot weights or maybe a little mepps. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 PM

Flys and small spoons. My friends catch a ton with small kastmasters and cleos.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Thanks! I’m going to give it a shot when it warms up a bit.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 PM

something that sometimes works unbelievably well is to imitate a feed pellet,providing the trout have been stocked at some time.To make a imitation feed pellet I head to the fishing section of my favourite store and find some dark brown plastic gulp night crawler imitations.You then take the cylinder part of the worm and cut them in about pieces that are about 6-7 mills long,take a bronze treble hook and shove it up the centre of the worm piece .I then tie the hook to 10 lb vanish line.To properly fish one of these you simply allow it to slowly sink,then pause for a few minutes just above the bottom.No action,bring the hook up and start over again.At no time do you jig it as pellets only sink.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 PM

That’s really clever! Never would have thought of that.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 AM

If you can find them one inch russian hooks can be good for trout. The oval ones can be 1.5 inches long. Various colors can be tried. Early morning or late afternoon not too far from shore. Trout in Alberta's pothole lakes feed along shorelines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russian 2.jpg (8.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg russian 1.jpg (6.7 KB, 26 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
something that sometimes works unbelievably well is to imitate a feed pellet,providing the trout have been stocked at some time.To make a imitation feed pellet I head to the fishing section of my favourite store and find some dark brown plastic gulp night crawler imitations.You then take the cylinder part of the worm and cut them in about pieces that are about 6-7 mills long,take a bronze treble hook and shove it up the centre of the worm piece .I then tie the hook to 10 lb vanish line.To properly fish one of these you simply allow it to slowly sink,then pause for a few minutes just above the bottom.No action,bring the hook up and start over again.At no time do you jig it as pellets only sink.

Scented plastics are considered bait as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_jr View Post
scented plastics are considered bait as well.
100% right there it is still a scented bait.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
Yup- tie up a Tom Thumb Deer hair fly.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Default West River

West River the best I have found for trout, Pickerel,Whitefish

Last edited by manitou210; 03-03-2020 at 09:09 AM.