Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Default Help!! Can I save this meat?!?!

After shooting my two supplamental tags today and putting them in box of my truck I drove about 30 miles. Getting out I smelt gas and to my dismay realized my jerry can if gasoline had a small rupture. About .25 of a litre leaked into the truck box. I don't think any got on the meat as it was at other end if box but I'm home now and the quarters have a really bad gas smell? I don't know if it's safe to eat and it breaks my heart to possibly have to get rid of it? Help any ideas would be awsome.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

Cut a steak off it, cook it up and eat it. If it tastes bad then it's tainted. You'll know right away.

It's skinned and still smells like gas?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 PM

A bit of gas never hurt anyone. If anything, the gas will help it taste like Alberta.

Were the animals skinned? If not, skin them carefully and trim away any exposed meat.

If they were skinned, wipe down the meat with a cloth and trim away the outer layer of meat. Let the remaining meat hang to air out. The next day, cut away any meat that has any gas smell.

There is no way that bit of gas should completely ruin two deer.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 PM

It's partially skinned, the tagged quarters still have skin attached with tails and genitalia.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A bit of gas never hurt anyone. If anything, the gas will help it taste like Alberta.

Were the animals skinned? If not, skin them carefully and trim away any exposed meat.

If they were skinned, wipe down the meat with a cloth and trim away the outer layer of meat. Let the remaining meat hang to air out. The next day, cut away any meat that has any gas smell.

There is no way that bit of gas should completely ruin two deer.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Cut a steak off it, cook it up and eat it. If it tastes bad then it's tainted. You'll know right away.

It's skinned and still smells like gas?
Just don't cook the steak over an open flame

I'd say it'll probably be fine. Get the hides off and air them out. And as said trim away any parts that still smell
Old 10-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Banned

"There is no way that bit of gas should completely ruin two deer."/QU/WB
This^^
Old 10-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Banned

Guys, .25 litres of gas may not sound like much and it may not have even touched the meat, but just the fumes could taint the meat. I'd like to be optimistic and encouraging for the OP but the reality is that both deer may taste horrible and may be spoiled. It doesn't simply air out or wash off once the meat absorbs it. The only way to know is to eat some of it. Even then, I wouldn't make any hamburger for fear of mixing tainted meat in with good meat if only a portion of the deer is spoiled. Hopefully, the meat is still good.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Guys, .25 litres of gas may not sound like much and it may not have even touched the meat, but just the fumes could taint the meat. I'd like to be optimistic and encouraging for the OP but the reality is that both deer may taste horrible and may be spoiled. It doesn't simply air out or wash off once the meat absorbs it. The only way to know is to eat some of it. Even then, I wouldn't make any hamburger for fear of mixing tainted meat in with good meat if only a portion of the deer is spoiled. Hopefully, the meat is still good.
This also^^
Reality is it doesn't take much gas or deisel to spoil an entire catch be it fish or fowl,a wee bit of diesel can taint tons of fish......skin with latex gloves,throw'em away before handling carcass.trim away taint immediately,as many precautions as necessary,might salvage all or most or none if yer sloppy?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Regular tastes a little sour...premiums a bit tangy and diesel tastes pretty good..hah
Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Hahahahaha, perfect tp boys reference
Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Telling the internet you spilled gas on your deer is like telling the internet you made out with a girl at a party and saw her a year later at a family reunion.

Yes, sadly it happens...but something best not told to your hunting buddies.

Good luck with your meat. Salvage what you can, lousy deal.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Telling the internet you spilled gas on your deer is like telling the internet you made out with a girl at a party and saw her a year later at a family reunion.

X2

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 10-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:

x3
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

"Sadly it happens"?
Making out with your cousin?
Maybe in your town...

(Sorry for having nothing constructive to say. Grind it into sausage and tell everyone its panda meat. How will anyone know what panda tastes like?)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:15 AM

I totally had a similar thing happen to me.

Yes you can save the meat - I washed mine with soap and water and scrubbed the meat with a scrub brush.

Alternately you can spritz it with hydrogen peroxide, leave it for a bit and then just wash it off. That breaks down organic compounds so it should work too.