Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Default Vega, Alberta Area THOUGHTS?

Going to Vega, Alberta area near the end of the month to chase some mule deer or moose. Never been to the area. How is the hunting there? How are the mule deer? Any biggies? You don't have to tell me location, I just want to have hope. Pictures would be great! Thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Great quadding, have yet to see a muley in the area though.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Someone told they were in the area. I'm kinda going there blind with hope. Didn't my mulie or moose in the area, so trying for a last minute trip. It usually never works out when you don't plan. But you never know, I guess i kinda have a plan. lol
Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Are mulies on draw in that zone? Moose are on draw everywhere unless you are bow hunting, and even then...
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned

The mule deer there have taken a hit, I haven't seen one that would break the 150's in about 4-5yrs. It's not like it was a few years ago. If you just want a muley you shouldn't have a problem but if it's a biggy you're after, you might be disappointed.

Moose is hit and miss. They are there but not always in an easy access area. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

The area used to have low hunting pressure, but like everywhere else it is starting to see more No tresspassing signs and less freindly farmers.

Really nice area though.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, Ya i was hoping for a decent mulie or a small moose. A friend that does not hunt told me there were mulies in the area that were big, but he has not been up there for years. I still might try the area, never been and it's worth a try.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Are mulies on draw in that zone? Moose are on draw everywhere unless you are bow hunting, and even then...
Mulies in 510 (north of Vega, east of river) are draw even in the bow season, moose can be bow hunted on a general tag until november. I've heard getting permission up there can be tough, partialy due to the "excellent quading" crowd. South of Vega, 507 I think, both sides of the river mulies can be bow hunted on a general tag, moose are draw all season. 350 (north of Vega west side of river) moose are a draw by now and mulies are general. The area probably wouldn't be my top pick for going in blind.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

lol. Thanks for the advice Bushleague, I'm 3 hours away, so maybe I'll stick to my farm land at home and hope it snows for an elk to show up. I hate not having a plan, but I make that my plan.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer444 View Post
lol. Thanks for the advice Bushleague, I'm 3 hours away, so maybe I'll stick to my farm land at home and hope it snows for an elk to show up. I hate not having a plan, but I make that my plan.
I hunted Mule deer in 507 for awhile, there were some big bucks but not a lot and they all seemed to hang out together so you were either on them or you weren't. Eventually the area where we could find them most years changed hands and the new owners made big changes to the property, I haven't been able to find them since. Such is mule deer hunting in the area in my experience. For the privilege of hunting mule deer in this area with a rifle you only have to wait 6-7 years, I now have priority 7 for mule deer and no clue where to use it.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Mulies in 510 (north of Vega, east of river) are draw even in the bow season, moose can be bow hunted on a general tag until november. I've heard getting permission up there can be tough, partialy due to the "excellent quading" crowd. South of Vega, 507 I think, both sides of the river mulies can be bow hunted on a general tag, moose are draw all season. 350 (north of Vega west side of river) moose are a draw by now and mulies are general. The area probably wouldn't be my top pick for going in blind.
Permission is easily granted in my experience, whether you enjoy quads or not.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Permission is easily granted in my experience, whether you enjoy quads or not.
I have relatives in the area and it has been pretty easy for me to get permission, but I've been told that it is not always so.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

There's always someone that has had to ruin it for the honest man, I'm assuming who ever you ask that is not fond of hunters, probably had a run in with a poacher or tresspasser before.