Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Some people posting here seem familiar with the lay of the land on the base.
What do you guys feel the success rate would be for the Feb hunt ? 50-75% of tags filled ?
Are some of the access roads near the base perimeter ?
As that seems to be where the elk travel would be according to some of the landowners bordering the base.
Would that be a strategy to considder, hang in the fringe of base boundary and private land ?

TBark
Read the thread called Suffield Base Hunt 2014. The link is in my post above.

The 3 fall hunts tagged out. My only concern for the Feb hunt is that they follow 3 weeks of Jan hunting seasons previously drawn per normal draw process. The heard could be pretty spooked from getting shot up in Jan and move off base for the Feb hunts.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Freezers are cheap.......
Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM

With all the oil and gas activity that go on in the base hunting area I would imagine the roads should be keep open for the most part. Sure hoping to get drawn as I'm sure between the kids and me a couple nice young calfs would look good in the freezer.. We hunted on the first hunt on the base in 2012 and had a blast, would be nice to get in there and see some of those Bulls again.
Fingers are crossed for a bull season on the base next fall.

Jim..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 AM

sure would be nice to get another chance at something for the freezer...all my fall tags sure look pretty up on the tree but the kids are HUNGRY lol

Not gonna hold my breath....about same odds as pulling a bison tag with the publicity this is getting.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
sure would be nice to get another chance at something for the freezer...all my fall tags sure look pretty up on the tree but the kids are HUNGRY lol

Not gonna hold my breath....about same odds as pulling a bison tag with the publicity this is getting.
Couldn't have said it better..chances of getting drawn will be in the single digit percentages I'm thinkin..everybody's all excited thinkin their gone get the draw lol best of luck to all I guess!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This is about Will, not me. Any chance I can get out with him I will. He us 13 years old and loves to hunt.

Me.. I am 45 and love to watch him hunt.

Jamie
After seeing young Willy roll that Antelope last year I would hate to be the elk he decided to put the crosshairs on if he pulls a tag.
Maybe time to pay the big bucks and get one of those Shaw Super Servers agin.. Lol.. That one still cracks me up when I thing about it.. You had guys wanting to string you up alive..

Jim..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
After seeing young Willy roll that Antelope last year I would hate to be the elk he decided to put the crosshairs on if he pulls a tag.
Maybe time to pay the big bucks and get one of those Shaw Super Servers agin.. Lol.. That one still cracks me up when I thing about it.. You had guys wanting to string you up alive..

Jim..
That Antelope hunting with you, Willy and Dad was pure awesome!
One of the best memories I have.

As for the "Super Server" I wish I could find that thread. Your right some guys did want to string me up. My best joke ever on this board.

Jamie
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
If you can't use the meat, don't go on the hunt, let someone else go that wants to go and can use the meat please.
And I'm the opposite could definitely use the meat, but not 100% if I can afford the time off on short notice if drawn.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Couple questions, Will cows be pregnant? And would Bulls have lost their head gear by then?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAJ View Post
Couple questions, Will cows be pregnant? And would Bulls have lost their head gear by then?
Yes if they bred, no they should still have antlers.

LC
Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes if they bred, no they should still have antlers.

LC
Thanks LC. Just wasn't too sure on the length of pregnancy for Elk. Figured that would be the case though.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAJ View Post
Thanks LC. Just wasn't too sure on the length of pregnancy for Elk. Figured that would be the case though.
Typically they breed in August-October calves are born in the springtime. Antlers tend to fall March-April time frame.....these are "in general" time frames.

LC
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 PM

What is hunting like, on the base? Is it foot access only? Quads allowed? What is the terrain like? Snow cover in Feb?

If there is a good site that covers these general info, would some mind linking it?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
What is hunting like, on the base? Is it foot access only? Quads allowed? What is the terrain like? Snow cover in Feb?

If there is a good site that covers these general info, would some mind linking it?

Thanks,

Jason
No quads, drive the roads and glass. Stalk when you spot something. Rolling grassland for the most part..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.7 KB, 368 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 PM

rolling grassland great tank country

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
No quads, drive the roads and glass. Stalk when you spot something. Rolling grassland for the most part..
Are the roads maintained in winter?

Add a couple of feet of snow to your picture and it would be some tough driving.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Are the roads maintained in winter?

Add a couple of feet of snow to your picture and it would be some tough driving.
That pic was Dec.14th last year. From what guys who are on the base are posting, roads have been maintained though.
Either that or maybe Recce has some equipment for rent! A tank ride would be cool.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:45 PM

some of the rds are plowed most of the rds are tank tracks rough and full of holes like rattlesnake road but there are lease roads on the base and primeter rd is good

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”

Last edited by recce43; 12-12-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:51 PM

I was excited for a couple minutes. Then I remembered my wife is due with our second on February 14. Quickly kyboshed.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:53 PM

A calf sled might be a pretty good tool to bring.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM

there are 1346kms of roads in vary degree of shape
268 kms of firbreaks
395kmsof fence line

Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
there are 1346kms of roads in vary degree of shape
268 kms of firbreaks
395kmsof fence line
That, and a billion elk.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Very good news, but still not enough to control this herd.. No one seems to want to tackle the issues of costs ? I ask because I care and my concerns should be shared by all passionate people in our group..

Is millions of dollars a fair trade off for an opportunity hunt ? Can anyone answer as to where this mysterious money has come from ?

Another big concern will be the dynamics we are creating by removing mainly cows and only a small percentage of bulls.. This fiasco has been a game of catch up and really not a strong biological effort to follow proven management practices.

I loose so much faith in ESRD and the future of our heritage when I think of the elk at CFB.
1800 elk out of a herd of even 10000, that's 18% of the herd. That's a pretty good start as far as a population control goes.

On to your ideas about why they are only allowing cow tags. The only way to control a herd of animals is to remove the females. If there are less females to be bred, that directly translates into less calves being born. If it were bull tags being handed out, it would not affect the overall number, the rest of the bulls in the herd would just breed more cows.

The only thing I have a question about is what are you getting at in the terms of mystery money? What here is costing millions of dollars?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The rules as set forth are not confusing as all....just try not to read into them so much.

125 Hunters, 2 tags each, no partners....put in with 2 per application max. Will not affect other draws or priorities. Fill your tags and your freezers. Follow the rules set out by the base....simple.

Before you put in for the draw consider the location and if you will actually attend....if not don't apply.

LC
I know its super easy to get but..... From what I understand, it is 1 license per application. The license gives you 2 tags, the application can have 2 hunters. Do they give out 1 license for both or do they give out 1 license per hunter on the app???

Would I be able to apply as primary and have my bud as secondary. Then have my buddy apply on his own, or with me as a secondary?? Seems to me I would rather have 1 app go in then invite my buddy to help if I get it and vise-versa.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Love that pic. I wonder if that sign would be more effective for landowners who are upset with people ignoring thier no trespassing or no hunting signs.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Would really like to put in for this I put in for the earlier hunts but wasn't drawn. I have also been completely unsuccessful so far this year nothing in the freezer I have one more day on my Wainwright hunt here's hoping. I just really don't think I can get time off work torn on wether to put in for it won't know if I can time off until I try and no point trying to get time off unless I get drawn quite the conundrum.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I know its super easy to get but..... From what I understand, it is 1 license per application. The license gives you 2 tags, the application can have 2 hunters. Do they give out 1 license for both or do they give out 1 license per hunter on the app???

Would I be able to apply as primary and have my bud as secondary. Then have my buddy apply on his own, or with me as a secondary?? Seems to me I would rather have 1 app go in then invite my buddy to help if I get it and vise-versa.
If you get the draw you can shoot two cows. No one else can shoot them. If you want to apply with your buddy you will either get two tags and he gets two tags, or you both get none. There is no partner tag.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Anyone else getting the impression suffield is heading down a very similar road of the CWD deer slaughter of a few short years ago?

Get em while you can!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Would really like to put in for this I put in for the earlier hunts but wasn't drawn. I have also been completely unsuccessful so far this year nothing in the freezer I have one more day on my Wainwright hunt here's hoping. I just really don't think I can get time off work torn on wether to put in for it won't know if I can time off until I try and no point trying to get time off unless I get drawn quite the conundrum.
I personally would like to see anyone that applied for the regular draw but was unsecsefull get first crack at these tags and the left over tag go on a lottery draw..
Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
I personally would like to see anyone that applied for the regular draw but was unsecsefull get first crack at these tags and the left over tag go on a lottery draw..
Ha ha. You're missing the point. Kinda not a lottery then right???? If they wanted to do another draw they would have.