Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 PM

Default How can I buy crown land?

I have an area of crown land I am interested in buying if it is ever possible. Anyone ever heard how a guy could go about buying a quarter on the fringe country of farmland and bush?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Banned

Some Crown land that is under lease is available for sale. The leaseholder is the only one who can initiate a sale by indicating that they would like to purchase. An ad is placed in a newspaper indicating land is up for tender. The leaseholder tenders a bid and is given first right to match any high bid on the land.

So your chances of actually buying Crown land are somewhere between zero, and zero. Unless someone else has different info on this issue.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Gone Hunting

There used to be auctions held where you could bid and purchase crown land. If memory serves me, my Dad went up to one near Valley View about 20 years back, looked over some parcels, went to the auction but didnt buy. I think he's still kicking himself about not purchasing something, it was going for VERY cheap. Seems to me a quarter in solid bush was going for about 5 grand. Timber alone would have more than paid for the place. Im not sure if they hold any auctions like those anymore or not Nube. Might be worth checking out somehow??

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default pretty tough

I looked into this a while ago. Basically you're SOL if you want to buy it. If you can suffer with only leasing it then you MAY have a chance. You have to convince the gov't that your use for the land is for the public benefit. Something like eco tours, youth hostel for the severely handicapped or disadvantaged, an eco friendly bed and breakfast or some other such thing like that. Throw in some other crap like zero carbon emissions, top up your donation to the PC party of Alberta and you may be granted a lease.

There are some forms somewhere on the AB gov't website for application, (I can't remember where exactly).

Now, from a political standpoint, you could try running for premier and argue that the land is surplus to Albertas needs and should be sold off to generate income for the province or to drive land prices down so everyone can afford a vacation cabin. Good Luck.

Either way I'd say your chances are slim. although i'd vote for you for Premier
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM

These guys used to sell off some Crown Land, but I have not checked them out for years. Quite often they'd sell land adjacent to Crown Land too and I think still do. Unfortunately it's usually in BC or Ontario, but more often than not I'd see property for sale in AB.

http://www.dignam.com/

Cheers
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 AM

i beleive if you own land that joins this crown land yer chances are best, unless there is an oil or gas well on this 1/4 then yer chances a kapoot
then on youre request or bid for the land there is a statement that you must improove the land so much every year (eg fence, clear so many acres)
its not that diffacult to buy crown land if you know the proper steps, espeacialy if you are already leaseing it or it borders youre property just check wth the county or RM and land titles
wth a lawyers help it should be quite simple
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM

I've had the same thoughts many times Nube. And in the past it obviously has been done as there are quarters of private land surrounded by oceans of crown that were purchased in the 80's near where I grew up.

Here is a link to some info:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/form...ublicland.aspx

here is the link to some forms, which I'm not 100% how they work:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/form...s/default.aspx

and then here are some FAQ's:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/lands/freq...stions.aspx#q3

If you do find some answers be sure to let us know. I'd definitly be interested.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM

Thankss for the thoughts guys. I have looked into it before and it seems pretty well not going to happen but it all looks confusing and I found some info that looked like it was possible so I thought I would throw it out there. I have been looking over parcels of private land for sale and out towards St. Paul there seems to be a fair bit but I had hopes for another area. I'll check it out some more
Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Check out taxes county of st paul could be reason lots around for sale have couple buddies have cabins at lac sante they pay 3000.00 to 5000.00 a year taxes. I belive they said 3 years ago they were paying 1/2 that. One of the guys just put his up for sale.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Just be grateful you can't buy Crown Land easily. Something the AFGA has been trying to stop for years is the sale of Crown Land where it is possible, such as how Vindelbakken states.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Just be grateful you can't buy Crown Land easily. Something the AFGA has been trying to stop for years is the sale of Crown Land where it is possible, such as how Vindelbakken states.
X2

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM

i am in the recon process of buying some more in sask...pm me for more info and phone numbers if that is something your into.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Perhaps we could all join together and pool our resources, together we could purchase all the Crown land surrounding Canmore as well as any crown land adjacent to the urbanized acreages SW of Calgary and establish some hunting-only sanctuary lands. No eco-tourism or mountain biking allowed. No Subaru's, or Volvo's either. You must have a pickup truck to gain access, but you can't go driving everywhere and spooking the game.... or rutting the picturesque landscape. We won't be having any "Indian Graves campground on May long weekend" activities on our hunting & fishing preserve. Behave yourselves: we have guns

On a serious note: It'd be great to have nice chunk of land bought at a good price to call your own, but how long would we allow sales of national property to continue? How would we preserve public lands for the future use of all of us if we allowed it all to be sold off? I know most of us, myself included, would jump at the chance to buy a 1/4 section or more of crown land to fulfill our dreams on. But then once we had our land, we wouldn't want all the crown land adjacent to our land sold off. Now our land is less valuable.... and those new neighbors are not doing what we wanted done with that land...... Now that I have my land I am in vehement opposition to the government allowing any more Crown land sales.

( I'd still buy what I could and then take the latter stance. I could live with being a hypocrite if I had my own trickling stream, rolling hills, game-filled bush and grassy meadow)
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

WTB- Crown Land: must have 165+ whitetails, and bighorn rams

ahahahah......i make my self laugh sometimes!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM

More to what Vindelbakken said,
The reason very few lease holders committ to an auction is they can be scooped very easily. The county, like any auctioneer will promote the auction to get as much interest as possible. Being as the leaseholds rights are darn near as good as deeded land, they are content to simply hold the lease.

TBark
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Why buy crown? Which I believe is just about impossible. There's lots of quarter sections for sale with lots of game on them. In fact I have a quarter that I will sell.

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Want to lease or buy Crown Land?: Get yourself some influential Government friends. Thinking of that major resort that someone planned to build on Abraham lake.
Grizz
Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Yeah, let's sell all the crown land to outfitters

While we're at it, let's let the private owners lease the rest of it to the highest bidders to turn it all into private hunt clubs.

Good idea there, bub
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
X3

Waxy
Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Moses king of the Isrealites!!! photographic proof that Orlando Bloom kills bighorns!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
That process is a crime IMO. I have my theories on how it came into being as well - to cover up another crime.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Moses king of the Isrealites!!! photographic proof that Orlando Bloom kills bighorns!

That made me laugh
Thanks

I did not mean to ruffle feathers for those that are ruffled. I have wanted to buy land for years now and I know of some crown land that is up against land that is private. I just wondered if a guy could offer to buy some from the Gov't or not. I would have thought that they would want you to buy it and start working the land kind of thing but it soundslike it is not so.
I will just have to talk to some private owners I guess.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM

You may be referring to the old homestead laws Phil.
There was still land under that law, up near La Crete I believe.

TBark
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM

"Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky
Just be grateful you can't buy Crown Land easily. Something the AFGA has been trying to stop for years is the sale of Crown Land where it is possible, such as how Vindelbakken states. "

x 10 !!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfer View Post

outstanding
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Yes it is and it still makes me laugh to this day. I remember there was a picture someone photoshoped with my ugly mug put into orlando's and I can not seem to find it.
Anyways, I have thought about this and I am glad our Crown land is not for sale. Or at least not easy to buy. I will have to just start talking to some privately owned land and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=nube;315708]Yes it is and it still makes me laugh to this day. I remember there was a picture someone photoshoped with my ugly mug put into orlando's and I can not seem to find it.

I am pretty sure it was in the thread where you shot your big grizz.