Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Default To Crossbow or not to crossbow - That is the question!

Hunter success surveys from SRD will start being emailed out today. In the survey there is a question on whether you agree or disagree with crossbows in archery season. Your vote will decide the future, so here is a chance to make your voice heard.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

With my recent purchase of a compound bow just for archery season, I don't know if I agree or disagree haha...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM

i think it should be fairly easy to foresee the results of that .... the majority will say ....YES !

I know that there are lots of people here that will say no, but i believe there is a lot more that would like access to extra time afield and will say YES !!

209 - you didn't say which way you woud vote !!!

personally i'm voting yes. i think in the long run it's for the better, despite the changes it might bring with it ! I personally won't be using one, but my daughters might ?

Let the debate begin !!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Is this question on the survey going to be the single deciding factor to whether or not crossbows will be included in archery season?

At least they are going take input from us hunters on the matter. I can now make an educated decision based on all the info exchanged so far in all the crossbow threads.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Hopefully every votes NO. The ABA has had simular votes with in thier members as well.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM

I'll be voting NO.

I guess I'm selfish in that I don't want to see Mule Deer Archery season to go on a draw.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Crossbow

I will be voteing "yes". I grew up in BC where you can use a crossbow in bow only seasons and it definately put more people in the field and gets them into hunting. Yes crossbows are easier to learn for most but there is no advantage in tragectory or distance you have to get to the animal for an ethical kill. One still needs all the patience and stalking skills as with a compound bow. I keep hearing that we need more people involved in hunting and this is a good way to do it.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
The ABA has had simular votes with in thier members as well.

Really? Wow.... makes you think.

Anyone heard the results yet of the APOS poll of their members as to whether unlicenced guides from the US should be allocated tags?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Vote NO!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Okotokian Quote:
The ABA has had simular votes with in thier members as well.

Really? Wow.... makes you think.
Whats there to think about?

This thread is gonna get good...me thinks
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

This might be a good thread to add a poll on or has that already been done somewhere else?

I already hunt with a crossbow due to a permanent disability (Two surgeries for a wonky shoulder). My vote would be YES to allowing crossbows. The only difference between hunting with a crossbow and hunting with a long bow is that you don't have to draw before taking a shot with a crossbow. Everything else is basically the same in the way of how you have to hunt.

Maybe they should poll hunters to see if compound bows should be replaced with recurved bows only? IMO there is an advantage to hunting with a compound bow over a recurved but that's okay to do. Why not the advantage of a crossbow over a compound bow?

If it gives people more variety in the way they can hunt and more opportunities to hunt I'm all for it!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Whats there to think about?
LOL read the whole post... it's sarcasm.... the APOS reference.... get it? I'll add another one... It's like quoting a poll of PETA members about hunting... results sort of expected... and meaningless.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM

The concept that Crossbows in Mule deer archery season will expand hunter opportunity may not prove to be true.

F&W has made it clear that an increased harvest of Mule deer in the archery season will result in the species going to Draw. The result will be a REDUCED opportunity for hunters.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The concept that Crossbows in Mule deer archery season will expand hunter opportunity may not prove to be true.

F&W has made it clear that an increased harvest of Mule deer in the archery season will result in the species going to Draw. The result will be a REDUCED opportunity for hunters.
Good, that is exactely why I will vote YES
Old 12-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Good?

The EXACT reason why you want crossbows in the Mule deer season is to REDUCE hunter opportunity?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
The EXACT reason why you want crossbows in the Mule deer season is to REDUCE hunter opportunity?
Archery becomes draw so more tags are available for rifle season? Is that the thinking?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Good?

That is your spin on it WB. I want the moose and mule deer archery tags on draw.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Vote NO! Unless you want more species going to "draw only" in the future. I for one do not. I like being able to hunt moose in my zone with my compound on a general license, while rifle hunters need to put in for the draw. Add crossbows to the mix, and you will see some possible changes in that regard.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That is your spin on it WB. I want the moose and mule deer archery tags on draw.
Why do you desire that 209?? Is it because management initiatives are not being met by ARCHERS in the ARCHERY hunt??? Is that a reality? If not that, what is the problem?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
209x50 Quote:

Very disapointing... Just curious as to what your thoughts are...are the bowhunters really thinning out the gritters in your area?
Don't like Bowhunters? Whats up?

Anyone who is a die-hard bowhunter...i cant imagine would vote yes.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM

this would effect more than just the mule deer and moose draw, it would also hugely affect the elk draw which would rather annoy me. VOTE NO. the animals will take a heck of a kicking before the draws are put into place, and by the time they are put in place the damage will already be done.... we all know the gov't is always about 5 years too late! i personally like the quiet times in september and october as well.... leave'er as she lies. if you want to hunt early, learn how to shoot a bow!

my 2 cents

K.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Anyone who is a die-hard bowhunter...i cant imagine would vote yes.
Because god forbid, they might have to share!

I have both so will be voting yes.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Can the crossbows have optics? What is the effective range of a crossbow? To me they are closer to a muzzleloader than a bow. Throw them into a "primative weapons" season and leave the bow hunters alone. my two cents.

Vote no.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbstomps View Post
this would effect more than just the mule deer and moose draw, it would also hugely affect the elk draw which would rather annoy me. VOTE NO. the animals will take a heck of a kicking before the draws are put into place, and by the time they are put in place the damage will already be done.... we all know the gov't is always about 5 years too late! i personally like the quiet times in september and october as well.... leave'er as she lies. if you want to hunt early, learn how to shoot a bow!

my 2 cents

K.
Wow you hit the nail right on the head!!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

X2!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Excellent post WB.

This is exactly what it all boils down to. Once another weapon is introduced into the Archery season, harvest numbers will go up, and it will reduce opportunity for those that choose to hunt with a bow.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 PM

I will be voting no.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hunter success surveys from SRD will start being emailed out today. In the survey there is a question on whether you agree or disagree with crossbows in archery season. Your vote will decide the future, so here is a chance to make your voice heard.
I have to wonder if EVERY Ab. hunter will recieve this mail out? Or will it be like the migratory surveys where only afew recieve them?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

yes from me, all logic says its the best big picture for Alberta hunting going forward, i'm ready to swallow any changes managment has to make in order to fix this obvious mistake
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

I would have give this the nod likely.

Thanks WB and 209 for clearing it up

I will be voting NO.

If I want to buy a cross bow I can still hunt in the rifle season.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 PM

I will be voting NO!

Better opportunity trumps more opportunity by miles. And then some.

-Billy Molls