Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Default When's Time To Shoot Coyotes?

I'd like to shoot them for fur but they're still looking sparse. Late November through January usually the best time, before they get torn up in mating?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM

November 15 is when I start hunting for fur. January is best but fur starts deteriorating quickly in February with rubs and fighting.
We still get some decent fur in February
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM

They are lookin real good up on top of the province.
Planning on some hunting in the near future.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Gone Hunting

When's Time To Shoot Coyotes?

When you see one, oppps couldn't resist.

I was told that the fur is at it's best from nid November to Christmas.

My dad was one of the top Coyote, Wolf men in this area. He said they get sun burnt, and rubbed after the new year. That seems to be right from my experience.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM

Default Coyote Hides

I have shot and skinned coyotes from September to April (any month with an r) and if memory serves me right i got as much as $70 for the odd September coyote in the 80s. Ive shot a few last week that were a bit blue but had very decent fur. Prime fur is usually from Nov to Feb for me with individual animals varying lots. Im seeing more poor coyotes as well as mange of late as their numbers increase.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Gramps used to trap in the 50-60 he always told me any month ending in "er" and January were good to go
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

Default any time of year on my land

the only problem is I dont have anything small enough to make it worth walking out to get the hide but I like to watch them explode from a 338 lapua or my 50cal BMG I know some of you are going to hate me for that but theres not much left when you do that
Old 01-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned

Well I nailed one a week ago with my Remington .223, Hit him broadside at about 50 yards with a budget Winchester varmit factory load. 45 grains hollow point. The bullet hit him high just behind the shoulder and exploded up out the top of his back between the shoulders leaving a gaping hole about ten inches long and five wide... you could see down inside the chest cavity and it was just red foaming mush... I could freaking not believe the damage.. I managed to sew the hole closed after skinning but was ****ed. Might have to switch to FMJ's for hide harvest
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Default some tips

i've been shooting coyotes for a few years . I dont start until nov 15. Remember that priming of fur depends on weather. I harvest my coyotes with a 17 hmr. No large holes. I dont shoot no long ranges. 100 yards and under. when a coyote stops during his approach usually means he knows something is up and you have around 5-8 sec to shoot. When coyotes are agressive they will approach you and not stop until you shoot or jump up. I like jumping up , seems like you scare the s...... out of them and startle them long enough to get a good shot. Good tips are ,get permission, understand the wind, cam properly, use the gun that suits you, well placed shots and have fun. Coyotes are probably the toughest animal ive trapped and hunted. Remember all this is just my opinion.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Default some tips

i've been shooting coyotes for a few years . I dont start until nov 15. Remember that priming of fur depends on weather. I harvest my coyotes with a 17 hmr. No large holes. I dont shoot no long ranges. 100 yards and under. when a coyote stops during his approach usually means he knows something is up and you have around 5-8 sec to shoot. When coyotes are agressive they will approach you and not stop until you shoot or jump up. I like jumping up , seems like you scare the s...... out of them and startle them long enough to get a good shot. Good tips are ,get permission, understand the wind, cam properly, use the gun that suits you, well placed shots and have fun. Coyotes are probably the toughest animal ive trapped and hunted. Remember all this is just my opinion.