Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Default rotten meat for bait?

Was going to throw this in the hunting section, but I think you guys would know better.

I had some beef meat scrapes in my shed that went rotten. Basically had a couple warm days and they thawed and re froze. They have never stank since I've had them in there start of dec. Anyways opened the bag and they had mould on them. Didn't want to waste them so stuffed them in 5 gallon pails with a bit of water.

Will it still bring the yotes in? I know they are scavengers but you'd think they wouldnt eat anythign that might make them sick.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post

Will it still bring the yotes in? I know they are scavengers but you'd think they wouldnt eat anythign that might make them sick.
It will work better the ever. You can't make a Coyote sick with rotten meat, they love it.

To give you an idea of how well it should work, let me explain how I use it.

One of my favorite and most effective Coyote baits for trapping is well rotted beaver meat. I cut fresh meat into chunks about two inches square, then place them in a 5 gallon pail. I cut a hole about 4 to 8 inches across in the lid and melt metal bug screen over the hole to keep the flies out.

Then I put the lid on tight and wrap an old towel around the top as insurance and hang the bucket in a spruce tree well away from any occupied buildings and well away from bear country. It'll bring bears in from miles away. This stuff stinks to high heaven!

I let the pail and it's contents sit for a couple of weeks or months if need be, in warm weather, and it's ready for use. For use I fish enough meat out to fill a used coffee can, the big plastic ones. These are how I transport the bait to the trap site.
I use these in dirt hole sets. In short I bury the bait and set a trap next to the hole containing the bait. It works like a charm.

I've tracked Coyotes who were over a hundred yards away, that when they got downwind of my bait, they turned and went straight to it.

Remember, this is one two inch chunk of meat in a hole. Not a whole pail of it dumped on top of the ground.

It will work.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM

thanks. Lol I thought the road kill deer I got the other week was the ultimate for stinky bait. You got me beat.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM

lol, you ever smell a coyote ??

They'll love it.....